Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Astrology an art or is it a science? This may seem like a strange question, but the fact of the matter is that astrologers emerge to want to have it both ways. On the one hand, they state that what they do is somewhat like an art, requiring a particular "feel" for the nature of celestial events and human beings. On the other hand, they try to paint their work with the brush of scientific correctness and soundness in the hopes that such an connection will help defend what they do.

If Astrology is not actually a science, then is it probable to categorize it as a form of pseudoscience? Most cynics will readily agree with that classification, but only by probing Astrology in light of some basic distinctiveness of science can we decide if such a decision is necessary. Different people have different opinions on this.

For Astrology to be considered as scientific to any degree, both its statistics and predictions must be open to autonomous, objective and empirical testing. If there are no conceivable phenomena, state of affairs or predictions which can be checked and which, if false, would indicate that astrology is wrong, then it is in principle not possible for astrology to be scientific.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I think Astrology has always been considered an "art" in modern day society. The application that we see in western cultures is different from what it was originally intended for in eastern traditions. Alot of cultures have employed and deduced meanings from particular planets gravitational pulls etc. since the start of time. But the day to day application that we see it right now, I think id be stretched to even consider it an "art". Empirical testing has failed many times, but many daily horoscopes have been seen to fall under the hindsight biased or confirmation bias.

Scientifically speaking, i think astronomy is more of a science, based on mathematics vs. Astrology. but both have failed to hold up to any scientific testing.

Its all about what you chose to believe IMO. If your talking about experimental science then I agree with you. On the same account ppl would argue that philosophy is considered a science as well, but its hard to "test" certain propositions and ideas that have been articulated through out time.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I was say its neither. IMO, its more of a faith/religion. Im yet to see any scientific proof that gives astrology any validity.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I grew up in a Masonic environment and one of our favorite dinner table topics is the seven liberal arts and sciences. Astrology is #7 on the list. A lot of our current knowledge about the universe and time was based on astrology so I would not go far calling it a "Pseudo" science - because doing so would mean disregarding the thousands and thousands of years our ancient ancestors spent studying and documenting the heavens. Calling it a fake science is very disrespectful IMHO. It's like calling your grandparents fake humans just because they're old.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
I grew up in a Masonic environment and one of our favorite dinner table topics is the seven liberal arts and sciences. Astrology is #7 on the list. A lot of our current knowledge about the universe and time was based on astrology so I would not go far calling it a "Pseudo" science - because doing so would mean disregarding the thousands and thousands of years our ancient ancestors spent studying and documenting the heavens. Calling it a fake science is very disrespectful IMHO. It's like calling your grandparents fake humans just because they're old.
Nicely put. :bt

rb

·
Registered
987 Posts
Why is Astrology a scam?
Why? Astrology is meaningless. It is only used for fortune telling to bilk money out of suckers. What possible difference could it make where the stars are located in the sky on the day that you were born? The stars are hundreds of light years away and may have exploded in a super nova in the year 1800 and you wouldn't know it yet. If this were true, all people born on the same day would have the same future. That's insanity. If a woman is in a minor car accident and gives birth 2 weeks early due to stress that changes the child's future? Only the ignorant believe this.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Why? Astrology is meaningless. It is only used for fortune telling to bilk money out of suckers. What possible difference could it make where the stars are located in the sky on the day that you were born? The stars are hundreds of light years away and may have exploded in a super nova in the year 1800 and you wouldn't know it yet. If this were true, all people born on the same day would have the same future. That's insanity. If a woman is in a minor car accident and gives birth 2 weeks early due to stress that changes the child's future? Only the ignorant believe this.
Okiedokie. :beer

Just a side bar thought I'll toss out there. If celestial objects are so meaningless to life on Earth why does the tide follow the moon? And before you answer I'll save you the trouble by telling you that I am merely making the point that life on Earth is in fact effected by a celestial object; whether it be gravity or too much cheese bottom line is, where the moon goes, so does our Earths water. And hey, what they hell, I toss another in the ring. We're made of water for the most part with some sodium (and plenty of other good things) and funny enough, it seems that civil servants such as Firefighters and Police work loads go through the roof during full moons. The morgue gets slammed!

Still don't think that celestial bodies have no effect on our lives?

Think big my friend. And you're right, there's a shet load of terrible people milking Astrology for all it's worth to take what is can from weak minded peoples pockets. However, I'd reckon religions the king pen at that game. :n:laugh: Point is, many desperate people will give their money and take others just to get through to tomorrow. And just because bad people use the fear of going to hell to garner more money from the perish in now way reflects on God. Same goes for phony fortune tellers. They hung their shingle, with selfish motives. Same as their customer. It's their selfishness that led them to give their money to just "anyone" in order to find what they wanted to hear. Proves once again that you can actually buy anything you want, including what you wish to hear. :laugh: Yet once more, it doesn't make Astrology fake.

A friend once said to me, "no once believe in ghosts until they meet one."

And then there is those pesky solar flares. And solar seasons for that matter! Every time the sun burps big communications and electronics on Earth struggle. I could go on however, there's good reason Astrology was pushed to the corner it stands in. It refused to play nice with the church many moons ago (there I go again about the moon :duh).

Anywho, have a nice night. Oh and by any chance do you know the date, time and location of your birth? Just wondering....:tongue::D

·
Registered
987 Posts
Did you notice that astrology is based on stars position and you only mentioned the moon?

Yes, it's true that the moon's gravity causes the tides. But.... the oceans are about 3,000 miles wide and the tides only vary the distance by 50 or 100 feet. Gravity is the weakest physical force. Think about it. You can probably jump about 2 feet in the air. The entire Earth is trying to pull you down and yet puny little you can defy the Earth's gravity for a couple of seconds with a running jump.

Now explain how a star 100 trillion miles away can change your life depending on what day you were born.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Did you notice that astrology is based on stars position and you only mentioned the moon?

Yes, it's true that the moon's gravity causes the tides. But.... the oceans are about 3,000 miles wide and the tides only vary the distance by 50 or 100 feet. Gravity is the weakest physical force. Think about it. You can probably jump about 2 feet in the air. The entire Earth is trying to pull you down and yet puny little you can defy the Earth's gravity for a couple of seconds with a running jump.

Now explain how a star 100 trillion miles away can change your life depending on what day you were born.
Well I will tell you what I noticed. You obviously grazed my post and replied with this. I mentioned more than the moon and interestingly, regardless of the size of effect you confess in your post that it does in fact have an effect here to life here on Earth. You said it yourself, never mind the size. You said the Ocean only moves "50 or a 100 feet". That's actually quite a lot if you ask any reasonable person. As you said, a 3000 mile wide body of water follows the moon yet according to your train of thought, that's just not that much??? Wow. I mean how arrogant. You write off an ENTIRE Universe from the known to the unknown as a "scam". Honestly, listen to yourself. To be truthful, it's astonishing.

Furthermore, I used the Moon and the Sun as examples of how our lives and environments are effected. In an attempt to keep things "local" so to speak. You can deflect this all you want but it doesn't change that a "celestial body" changes live on Earth on a moment by moment basis. You acknowledged it yourself. The moon is a great example in all of this since you can not only see it, you see it's effects. (with or without blinders)

I won't even bother explaining something like a Mercury Retrograde. :n You can look that up yourself. Mercury is another neighboring body as I am sure you know. Check it out, however I doubt you will from the sounds of things.

And I noticed you also chose to overlook that I asked the date, time and local of your birth. However again, by the tone of your post there's really no point as I am sure that no matter what if I took the time (and believe me it takes effort) you'd deny any and all connection to your life. And honestly, I don't think a chart would help this convo one iota.

So, I guess this is where our chat ends. No point attempting to discuss anything with anyone who only chooses to half read ones contribution. It will only continue into a frustrating spiral of "tit for tat" where no one learns anything.

But hey, an attempt was made.

rb

·
Registered
987 Posts
I won't even bother explaining something like a Mercury Retrograde.
Sorry. I don't have to look it up. Neither Mercury's revolution nor rotation are retrograde. Mercury Retrograde is a misleading non-astronomical term. If we are going to compare education in this area I think you're going to lose by a wide margin.

Try explaining the main sequence or the Schwarzschild radius without looking them up. Astrology is made up junk science.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Sorry. I don't have to look it up. Neither Mercury's revolution nor rotation are retrograde. Mercury Retrograde is a misleading non-astronomical term. If we are going to compare education in this area I think you're going to lose by a wide margin.

Try explaining the main sequence or the Schwarzschild radius without looking them up. Astrology is made up junk science.
LOL :n:laugh::laugh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts