Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all the action with Raycroft, Kubina, Gill, Peca...and others...do you think we will have a stronger team then last year?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
IMO we'll defentley be better then last year..hopefully better things turn out this year.. unlike last year.. which was really depressing... if raycroft can be on the top of his game, i think we;ll be just fine

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I also think they're much better. Adding in Kubina gives them a good all-around d-man who can play well in all situations.

I like how they also let go of Domi and Allison. Allison brought offence, but only to the PP. He was very slow out there and the rest of his game was lacking.

It's a shame that he hasn't taken the tiem to work on his skating, he does bring some tools to the team, but his skating is too much of a handicap to make it worthwhile.

They lost a key player in the Big E IMO, and still haven't gotten Mats the 2 top 6 forwards this team has lost since Roberts and Mogilny were gone, and that not only hurts Sundin, but the team as a whole. Everyone's gotta' be pulled up, so Steen, Welly, and Stajan already have some big holes to fill. Hopefully they do good, but I think they will. I know Colaiacovo will be getting another chance this year to impress. He was doign good last year until he got injured.

And Raycroft better make that trade for Rask worth it.

A lot o the younger player will be getting their chance this year, and I'm sure most of them will perform well.

·
494 Posts
I dont know, i like the addition of Peca, and despite Lindross being injured, when having him in the line up, always made me believe we had a chance at something great.

Overall, maybe more rounded, but still very far away from a cup

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes we are far from the cup, but we're just re-building slowly..we got rid of domi and belfour..which i think was good...i just hope they have a better season, so that its more enjoyable then last year..lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
hockey_gurl_13 said:
After all the action with Raycroft, Kubina, Gill, Peca...and others...do you think we will have a stronger team then last year?
The Leafs already had a great team. As you saw at the end of last season they only lost once in their final 10-games....they started playing much better after they stopped using Eddie Belfour....Belfour was damaged goods but Leafs may have felt they still had to play him because of his HUGE salary....JFJ has plugged some holes on the blueline, I think Raycroft will surprise alot of people and have great year in Toronto...JFJ still has to get winger to play alongside of captain Mats Sundin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
we have improved so far this summer, but i wouldnt say significantly. The fate of the leafs is largely tied to how well raycroft performs , so hopefully the pressure of the toronto media wont get to him and he can play like he did his rookie year. our D is definetly more solid with kubina and gill, however gill is less effective in the "new nhl" do to his sloth pace speed and he takes alot of penalties. The major concern i have is will the leafs lack of offensive firepower (exculding sundin of course) we are gunna need more production from guys like o'neill,ponikoravski and antropov (wishful thinking) and hopefully get breakout years from our young guns. or else it could be another year of scarse 5-5 goals and relying on powerplay wayyy too much. i predict the leafs will scrape into the playoffs in 7th or 8th spot

·
Registered
4 Posts
leafs need a skilled speedy winger to play with sundin also .antropov and poinikarovsky dont cut the mustard

hopefully JFJcan dump antroppov for some cap room to sign anson carter

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
leaffan519 said:
The fate of the leafs is largely tied to how well raycroft performs , so hopefully the pressure of the toronto media wont get to him and he can play like he did his rookie year.
That's a concern of mine as well. After having a great rookie seaso nand following it up wit ha horrible sophomore season, you'd think bringing a goaltender like Rayzor to Toronto would be kind of like throwing him to the wolves. :(

Hopefully he still manages to pull through and have a great year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts