Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with the trade deadline a month off and with players with contracts ending (jovanovski $6.5m, bryzgalov $4.25m, vrbata$3.0m, upshall $2.25m) who are ufa's and (turris $2.7m, boedker $1.725m, korpikoski $700k, yandle$1.2m lepisto $800k,) who are rfa's what moves should the coytes be making and more importantly who we keep and who we let go?

now for years we have been a couple of good players light in the team because of jovo's $6.5m a year, ntc contract which we need to get rid of and free up some cap space so may be see if he will be willing to trade or keep him till seasons and then either get a £3m a year contract on him or just let him go, to be honest i would'nt be bothered if he lefted, next problem is bryz and vrabata who we must keep but only if the price is right, upshall should get around $2.5m - $3.0m a year to stay and labarbera ifhe wants to be back up about $600-800k and get clime to push him for the back up spot.
now for the rfa's yandle is a must but thinking he will be asking alot because of the great season he's having and might get his head turned by his agent saying he could get more elsewhere but $3.5 m over 3-4 years sounds about right to me, korp's has had a good year and deserves a pay increase may be too $1.2m a year over 4 seasons and would like turris to stay but think he and boedker will be traded at deadline for veterans for the playoff push.

as for deadline we still need more scoring and maybe another defender with size and power, we have abit of cap space but need to get rid of jovo's contract either at deadline or end of the season.........

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think we will actually be pretty quiet this year. Bryz, Yandle, Turris, Boedker, and Vrbata will all likely get new contracts, I would like to see Korpikoski and Upshall stay, however Jovo most likely will end the season with us. Of the players you named I could only see Lepisto being put into a trade though if the right deal came around I guess all of them are expendable with exception to Yandle and Bryz. Those 2 are must resigns.

[email protected] 4 mil for 5 years would be very acceptable, I would even be willing to shell out as much as 5 million a season for him to stay in phoenix. I expect Bryz will get a contract around the 4-6 million range for 2-5 years seeing as how he has been the backbone of this team since arriving.

I could easily see us going into Ottawa and asking for Spezza and Gonchar or Phillips for Jovo, Turris, and a 2nd round pick. Another option (and the better IMO) would be to hit up Buffalo for Roy, Pominville, and Leopold for Jovo, Stempniak, a 2nd, 3rd , and a prospect. Those are rough trades but I think they would achieve the results needed to help make the Yotes more effective offensively (PP mostly) while still maintaining their defense first game.

Jovo is really not a threatening contract or player. He has certainly slowed his pace this year from previous but isnt really hurting us in any way. If he is moved I would want to see a big defensive defenseman come in to replace him and just let Yandle QB the PP with Acoin while Morris and Rozsival take on the 2nd PP unit. At this point Hanzel and Fiddler are our best centers so I would like to see someone of Spezza's caliber come in and take the #1 job as well as further out PP. We are ranked 22nd on both the PP and PK but I think if we can get a few guys to make our PP dominant then the PK will begin to solve its self.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
with all the depth we have in regards of young player and there are some players who could be moved to a team looking to rebuild i.e. ottawa,islanders,or the leafs. players like bodeker, picard, tikhonov, climie, ahnelov or maclean could be used as bait to bring in a top 6 forward or a top 4 defender..

i don't think we wil be as active as previous years maybe even get all our deals done before deadline day but we need to get some scoring in and even trade jovo if he agree's to drop his ntc.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Total Devil's Advocate here, but if I were another team, I would seriously consider tossing an offer sheet at Yandle.

Seriously, I would give him a 7 year, $37M contract, heavily front loaded because with Phoenix's money problems, actual salary is more of a concern than cap space. Structure it with years of $9M, $9M, $5M, $4M, $3.3M, $3.3M, $3.3M and I think they would have to pass, simply because $9M is pretty much 20% of their actual budget. Works out to a $5.3M cap hit, and the team that signed him to an offer sheet would only have to give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

·
Registered
134 Posts
For another team that would be very smart, would also devastate our back end haha. Yandle is a centerpiece for our blue line success, players of his caliber are hard to come by. The guy is not only a talented player but a growing leader in the locker room. I really would like to see Yandle be the next Shane Doan and spend his carrier with this team. There are really only 4 players that I see as "untouchable" on the coyotes and that is Doan, Yandle, Hanzel, and Bryz. Granted thats a personal opinion but as a GM I would look at the skill and character of those 4 and never move them unless something major changed in them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
£5 million a season over 4/5 years seems resonable foe yandle and i think he would take it if offered by the coyotes. hope he doesn't get his head turned by his agent telling him he can get loads more at another team like the rangers, pens or the leafs.
but if we offer bryz and yandle £5 million a year ther won't be much lefted over for other players to bring in unless we increase our salery cap to over £50 million a season which ain't gonna happen

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
For another team that would be very smart, would also devastate our back end haha. Yandle is a centerpiece for our blue line success, players of his caliber are hard to come by. The guy is not only a talented player but a growing leader in the locker room.
Imagine if San Jose added him to their team (which they can probably afford due to Wallin and Huskins coming off the books and an increase in the cap). He automatically makes San Jose's defense so much better than it is today, and they can afford the big salary of the contract. Strengthens them a lot and weakens the Coyotes a lot as well.

It would suck for the Coyotes, which is why I would be working my hardest to getting him signed as soon as possible if I were in the organization. Not a whole lot of defensemen that are as good as he is. I'd ask him how much money he wants and just work it out so the cap hit and salary paid is the same. No front-loading or back-loading contracts for the Coyotes because that can get them in trouble.

As far as him in the locker room, it's pretty funny looking back to his draft year. He dropped because of reported attitude and locker room issues. Just goes to show you that if a player can work those out, a team can get a definite steal.

£5 million a season over 4/5 years seems resonable foe yandle and i think he would take it if offered by the coyotes. hope he doesn't get his head turned by his agent telling him he can get loads more at another team like the rangers, pens or the leafs.
but if we offer bryz and yandle £5 million a year ther won't be much lefted over for other players to bring in unless we increase our salery cap to over £50 million a season which ain't gonna happen
The Penguins won't be able to add Yandle, nor am I certain they would want to. Their defense is completely stocked and they're really close to the cap. Leafs maybe, depends on if Burke really wants to try to bring some of their young defensemen up full-time or not.

I think you would need to worry more about teams like the Bruins (who would all of a sudden have $4M if Savard retires) and the Sharks (who will have $4.2M coming off the cap with Wallin/Huskins leaving). The cap space is there, the ability to have a high payroll is there, dumping a $1M player is very possible for both of them, and with Yandle on the team, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd from one draft year will probably be late picks.

Maybe the Lightning too, but signing Stamkos is a much higher priority for them than a possible Yandle offer sheet. They also might not want to tempt fate since Hedman's a RFA the following season.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The need for a 30+ goals a year man is obvious. I love how there are a load of guys that chip in with 10-15 goals a season and 20 assists, but we need someone to be out there scoring points every night while those other guys back him up. That will take us from a good team to a great team.

A quick two-way defenseman would be a high priority for me also. Our blueline is either very young and inexperienced or very old and slow (with the exception of Yandle of course). So that needs to be addressed. I like the Roszival signing, so far but we could do with a guy more like Joni Pitkanen or someone of similar age.

We have a little more say in the deals this time around so I hope hope Maloney works his magic. Im sure he knows what the coyotes need and Im sure he is working hard at getting those players who can take us past the first round in the playoffs!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
defo need a goal scorer of the 30+ goal calibre, but with jovo out for what looks like 2 months what about picing up souray on waivers? on;y got to pay half his salary and maybe worth taking the risk on him, plus won't he be nearer his kid's who live in la i think

1 - 10 of 10 Posts