Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you think is a bad announcer/commentator in hockey games? There are some good hockey commentators such as J.D and Jim Hughson but I think the larger portion are bad.

One person I hate is Barry Melrose. He used to be a great announcer but now all he says is "Crosby this, Crosby that." It's very annoying. I also hate his mullet he still has. A mullet was okay in the early 90s when lots of people had them, mainly because of Prince, but nowadays it sucks to have one.

Another announcer I hate is that guy from Rock 101 who did the Canucks PPV. He is so god dang annoying and idiotic. When Spacek was high sticked he said "I don't see any red stuff." And then he started talking about him riding on his motorcycle in the middle of the game, what the heck. He's the worst announcer ever.

Greg Millen was a great goalie in the 80s but he isn't a great announcer, that's for sure.

Who do you think is bad at being an announcer during hockey games?

·
Registered
229 Posts
There used to be 2 guys on Fox, who covered the Red Wings games. Can't remember their names, but they were so biased, it was pathetic. I remember the Wings getting beaten by the Sharks, and they immediately cut away when the third period was done. No post game coverage at all. They were just lame. Shanny14 will likely know who I'm talking about.

410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HabsRule said:
There used to be 2 guys on Fox, who covered the Red Wings games. Can't remember their names, but they were so biased, it was pathetic. I remember the Wings getting beaten by the Sharks, and they immediately cut away when the third period was done. No post game coverage at all. They were just lame. Shanny14 will likely know who I'm talking about.
I think I've seen those announcers cover a Nashville versus Colorado game on Fox. They were pretty bad. One of them was named John I believe. FOX, NBC, and CBS are channels you should not watch a hockey game on if you like to listen to good announcers. NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX are all channels that cover basketball and football, not hockey. So don't expect them to have the top of the line commentators.

·
Registered
229 Posts
masterofhockeyknowledge said:
I think I've seen those announcers cover a Nashville versus Colorado game on Fox. They were pretty bad. One of them was named John I believe. FOX, NBC, and CBS are channels you should not watch a hockey game on if you like to listen to good announcers. NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX are all channels that cover basketball and football, not hockey. So don't expect them to have the top of the line commentators.
Not certain, but I'm pretty sure one of their names was Mickey. I think they only covered Red Wings games.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
HabsRule said:

Omg, I know exactly who your talking about. their names excape me right now. But they were so freakin' annoying:mad: your right they didnt cover much of anything.

Seemed like they were totally lazy and didnt seem to do much with it.. ya they were biased. it drove me crazy!!!:mad: Im ok with the fox crew now.. they arent too bad. I dont care for John keatings coverage though. the guy doesnt know a whole bunch! ill take his job in a heart beat:D I think it would be fun!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd have to say Harry Neal and Bob Cole for CBC. They have the worst eye sight which is understandable for their age. If they do miss something or dont understand it they'll just say it was a great play by the Leafs. For instance if a shot is deflected three times and then blocked by a player before it reaches the net, they will say "Great save by Belfour!"
Although they do have good announcing voices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hands down the WORST announcers are Bob Cole and Harry Neale.

They're old memories won't keep up to the actual play as it happens, they're bias toward the leafs is sickening, as is the're hatered of all things not leafs.

Harry Neal once said when the "kiss cam" zoomed in on him and Bob Cole one night at the Corel Center in Ottawa, "they don't much like me in Ottawa and they can kiss my rosey red behind".

Well Harry... just go away, just like your beloved leafs.

Go-SENS-Go

·
Registered
227 Posts
Armed with the Direct TV hockey package, I can watch and listen to most NHL teams local announcers. some are really good, some are just so-so, and some are just horrible.

My picks for the good ones:

Jim Hughson, HNIC
Bob Cole, HNIC
Rick Peckham, Tampa Bay
Bob Miller, LA Kings
Pat Foley, Chicago
Howie Rose, NYI
Randy Hahn, SJ
Mike Emrick, OLN, NJD

The mediocre ones:

The Avalanche announcer (I think his name is Mike Haynes?)
Sportsnet Leafs, Sens and Flames announcers

The bad announcers:

JP Dellacamera, Atlanta
Sam Rosen, NYR (somebody please shut up Davidson!!)
Pete Weber, Nashville
Phoenix Coyote FSN (can't recall his name)

I think though that the best announcers in the NHL, IMO are Bob Miller with the LA Kings, and Mike Emrick with the Devils. They can make a bad game sound good! and---they are not homers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Avs Commentator

The Avs games are broadcast on Altitude Sports & Entertainment (part of the Stan Kroenke Empire). When the season first started, the commentator was a troll by the name of Doug McLeod. Barry Melrose on crack would have done a better job at announcing games then this guy did. The guy not only had issues with getting opposing teams players names correctly, he couldn't even get the Avs player's names right. I think he referred to "Svatos" as "Sa-va-tos". And if that wasn't bad enough, the moron would use football and baseball terms throughout the game. I swear to God after a period of hockey was over, he said something like, "Well, that's the end of the first inning". :dunno: And instead of referring to the boards as, well.... THE BOARDS, he would say something about the puck rebounding off the advertisement. It wouldn't have been so bad if he did it once or twice, but he said it all the friggin' time. He was replaced in late November by Avs radio play-by-play man Mike Haynes. Needless to say, many Avs fans were relieved.

·
Registered
229 Posts
shanny14 said:
Omg, I know exactly who your talking about. their names excape me right now. But they were so freakin' annoying:mad: your right they didnt cover much of anything.

Seemed like they were totally lazy and didnt seem to do much with it.. ya they were biased. it drove me crazy!!!:mad: Im ok with the fox crew now.. they arent too bad. I dont care for John keatings coverage though. the guy doesnt know a whole bunch! ill take his job in a heart beat:D I think it would be fun!!!
One of them was Mickey Redman, the other still escapes me.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
HabsRule said:
One of them was Mickey Redman, the other still escapes me.
see i thought you were talking espn.. those guys suck..... NO mickey and Ken are both great personalities, and do very well for FSN....:D ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
OLYMPIA STADIUM said:
The wings announcers are ken daniels and mickey redmond.i enjoy listening to both of them.
No, it used to be Mickey, and another guy. Oh, and yeah, the puck thing was stupid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Armed with the Direct TV hockey package, I can watch and listen to most NHL teams local announcers. some are really good, some are just so-so, and some are just horrible.

My picks for the good ones:

Jim Hughson, HNIC
Bob Cole, HNIC
Rick Peckham, Tampa Bay
Bob Miller, LA Kings
Pat Foley, Chicago
Howie Rose, NYI
Randy Hahn, SJ
Mike Emrick, OLN, NJD

The mediocre ones:

The Avalanche announcer (I think his name is Mike Haynes?)
Sportsnet Leafs, Sens and Flames announcers

The bad announcers:

JP Dellacamera, Atlanta
Sam Rosen, NYR (somebody please shut up Davidson!!)
Pete Weber, Nashville
Phoenix Coyote FSN (can't recall his name)

I think though that the best announcers in the NHL, IMO are Bob Miller with the LA Kings, and Mike Emrick with the Devils. They can make a bad game sound good! and---they are not homers!
Mike Emerick has to be the worst of them all. It would be a first when he actually calls a game. I don't need a back story on every player whenever they touch the puck. Most goals and big plays occur while he's rambling on in that shrill voice about how that player used to be an Eagle scout or some other useless piece of trivia. He belongs on the Disney Channel announcing figure skating and Disney On Ice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts