Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you think has the best American Hockey Market/ Best Fans?

Minnesota, Detroit, Buffalo, Pittsburgh?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As a Canadian who absolutely adores the game and the great crowds that the Canadian teams draw in, I must say if Canada could adopt any NHL Team it would have to be Minnesota. They have great crowds.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I'm tempted to say Chicago, they support their team so much the fans won't pay to see it if they think it will benefit the quality of the team in the long run.

Detroit, Minnesota, and Boston would be very good choices as well. All three of those markets are not only good fanbases, but those areas produce many of America's best hockey players.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Have to say Minnesota. They are the most knowledgeable off any of the American fans, and they love the game there almost as much as we do.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I have to say the Rangers and Flyers by far are the 2 best markets just for the fact when they both suck there fans are still dedicated to spending the money to show there support to each of them.

You can look at other american markets that have done well also but when there teams were on the lossing end fan dedication also left. Look at the sabres or islanders as an example when they were at a high or low it also reflected in fan interest. its hard to call them real hockey fans.

it goes to prove which american markets have the best and most knowledgable dedicated fans to there teams.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Who do you think has the best American Hockey Market/ Best Fans?

Minnesota, Detroit, Buffalo, Pittsburgh?
Someone that asks this question and includes Pittsburgh which is always on the verge of losing their team and leaves out NYC and Philadelphia doesn't know hockey.

Detroit calling itself hockey town is a joke. Detroit is 60-70% black and I doubt that even 10% of city residents go to games.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Detroit is not hockey town, when they sucked in the 80's, the building wasnt always packed and these days they dont sell out tickets like they used to when they had a small dynasty going on, I would say Philly has a good hardcore fan base.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Speaking completely unbiased, it is NOT Minnesota (and definitely not Pittsburgh or Buffalo), but is in fact Philadelphia. And the only other team that is close is the Rangers.

unless we're going to use ALFW's reasoning where lower attendance=better fanbase.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Michigan has more D-I hockey programs than any other state, including Minnesota and Massachusetts. Off the top of my head:

-Michigan
-Michigan State
-Northern Michigan
-Eastern Michigan
-Western Michigan
-Lake Superior State
-Ferris State
-Michigan Tech

Michigan teams make up over half the CCHA and Michigan players account for practically every other player on most NCAA teams.

...and I hate them all.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Chicago has some of the best fans/loudest fans, and if the team can get to form, the fans will get back into it, they are just playing the waiting game and watching from the outside.

Overall, i'll say Philly, Rangers, Colorado, Detroit and Minnesota.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Chicago has some of the best fans/loudest fans, and if the team can get to form, the fans will get back into it, they are just playing the waiting game and watching from the outside.

Overall, i'll say Philly, Rangers, Colorado, Detroit and Minnesota.
I feel bad for the Hawks who have a bad owner, probably among the worse, from what I heard.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well they cant sell out there games. As to were other sports in there city can.
thats true but mainly becuase the tigers made it to the series in '06, also becuase america has many many many more baseball fans, and they are one of the most popular, and the pistons (as the nba in america- (also more popular than the nhl) are a very popular team in the NBA so its hard for the red wings to compete with that as far as popularity goes. I think most people in detroit are too caught up with those teams to focus on how well the red wings do as a team.

·
Registered
759 Posts
yea, it kind of ruins their reputation, Philadelphia seems to be a city that supports its team equally, they seem to be not only a hockey city, but a sports city in general

·
Registered
737 Posts
Detroit is not hockey town, when they sucked in the 80's, the building wasnt always packed and these days they dont sell out tickets like they used to when they had a small dynasty going on, I would say Philly has a good hardcore fan base.
Gotta agree with you there..a flyer fan wont think twice before throwing a punch for their team lol..even at the garden,CAA etc etc...dont do it in newark though..we got snipers ;)

1 - 20 of 114 Posts