Hockey Fan Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

Premium Member
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Monarchs Suffer Shark Bite

WORCESTER, MA - Right wing Graham Mink collected five assists and left wing Mathieu Darche scored a hat trick in the Worcester Sharks 6-4 drowning of the Manchester Monarchs in front of 2,728 fans at the DCU Center on Friday night.

Manchester (15-10-5-1) drops to second place in the Atlantic Division with 36 points. Worcester (13-11-1-4) is tied for fourth place in the Atlantic Division with 31 points.

Right wing John Zeiler put the Monarchs on the scoreboard first with his seventh tally of the season at 4:34 of the opening period. On the power play, left wing Matt Moulson passed the puck to left wing Noah Clarke positioned on the goal line to the right of Sharks netminder Thomas Greiss. Clarke forwarded the pass to Zeiler streaking into the slot. The rookie right wing out of St. Lawrence University dragged the puck to the crease and flipped a shot over Greiss for the first goal of the game.

The next four goals came off the sticks of Darche and defensman Brennan Evans. Darche scored the first goal of his hat trick at 7:31 of the first period. Mink took the first shot from the left side of the crease that Monarchs goaltender Jason LaBarbera saved. The rebound popped free to center Mike Iggulden whose shot was also blocked. The third time was a charm as the rebound bounced to Darche who buried the puck into the net for his 20th goal of the season.

Doubling their lead, Evans collected his first tally of the season at 12:26 of the opening stanza. Darche and Mink created traffic in front of LaBarbera. Mink passed the puck to Darche whose shot was blocked but Evans jumped on the rebound to give Worcester a 2-1 lead.

Mink collected his third assist of the night on Darche's second tally of the game as the right wing tried to split the Monarchs defense and ended up kicking the puck over to Darche on the edge of the left face-off circle. Darche blasted a snap shot past LaBarbera on his glove side at 5:20 of the second period. Center Tomas Plihal assisted on the Sharks third goal of the night.

Darche completed his hat trick at 7:18 of the middle period while on the power play. Linemate Mink skated into the Monarchs zone and fired a shot on LaBarbera. The rebound went straight up in the air over the goaltender and landed in the crease behind a seated LaBarbera. Darche poked in the rebound for the first hat trick in Sharks history.

Manchester's right wing Tim Jackman answered back with his fourth goal of the season at 7:53 of the second period. Defenseman Peter Harrold fed the puck to Jackman just inside the Sharks blueline. Jackman's wrist shot soared past Greiss and squeezed inside the right post to bring the score to 4-2 in Worcester's favor. Right wing Mike Hoffman earned an assist on the Monarchs second goal of the night.

Worcester went back on offense as right wing Riley Armstrong scored his 12th tally of the season and the Sharks third power play goal of the night. Defenseman Garrett Stafford, out of the University of New Hampshire, sent the puck trickling through center of the Monarchs zone. Armstrong picked up the puck and blasted a wrist shot through LaBarbera's pads. Forward John Laliberte assisted on the goal.

Zeiler scored his second goal of the night, eighth of the season at 16:51 of the second period. Moulson gave the puck to center Patrick O'Sullivan behind the Sharks net. O'Sullivan redirected the puck into the slot for Zeiler's one-timer and the Monarchs second power play tally of the night.

Iggulden doubled the Sharks lead to 6-3 at 18:01 of the middle frame. Mink and Iggulden skated into the Monarchs zone on a 2-on-1 breakaway. Mink controlled the puck and sent a shot on net. LaBarbera made the save but the rebound fell to his left side and Iggulden nudged in his 10th goal of the season.

The second period ended with Worcester leading 6-3 and LaBarbera hitting the bench. Netminder Yutaka Fukufuji took over goaltending duties for the Monarchs leading into the third period. Tonight was Fukufuji's first AHL appearance this season. He played in two games for the Monarchs last season collecting a 1-1-0 record, a 3.00 goals-against-average and a .923 save percentage.

Hoffman scored his fourth tally of the season with a fluke goal at 11:09 of the third period. Hoffman carried the puck down the left wing and feathered a wrist shot into traffic in front of the Sharks net. The puck bounced off bodies and past Greiss for the 6-4 final score. Left wing Lauri Tukonen and defenseman Eric Werner assisted on the only goal in the third period.

LaBarbera took the loss with 27 saves on 33 shots through 40 minutes of playing time. Fukufuji stopped all nine shots he faced in the third period. Greiss earned the win with 22 saves.

Manchester went 2-for-3 on the power play. Worcester was 3-for-6 with the man advantage.

The Monarchs bus to Connecticut to drop the puck with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers at the Arena at Harbor Yard at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 23. Catch all of the play-by-play action of Monarchs hockey with Ken Cail on the Monarchs Radio Network WGIR-AM 610 and at -= Manchester Monarchs Hockey =- Home Page. Watch the game live on B2 Networks for just $6 per game. Log onto -= Manchester Monarchs Hockey =- Home Page and click on the link to B2 Networks ten minutes prior to each Monarchs game to watch the game live!

Premium Member
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Three-Goal Third Lifts Philadelphia Over Binghamton 4-2

PHILADELPHIA - The Philadelphia Phantoms erased two one-goal deficits in the final period and ended up on the right end of a 4-2 decision over the Binghamton Senators on Friday night at the Wachovia Spectrum. Mark Cullen, Nolan Baumgartner, Pete Zingoni and Boyd Kane scored for the Purple, which earned its second consecutive victory.

For the first time this season, the Phantoms played a game through two periods without either side scoring a goal. The scoring drought finally ended 5:33 into the third frame when Binghamton blocked a Phantoms clearing attempt and the puck ended up behind the Philadelphia blueliners on the stick of Ryan Vesce. Vesce bided his time before faking and then beating Scott Munroe to give the Senators a 1-0 lead.

But the lead only lasted 14 seconds, until the 5:47 mark. Cullen won the ensuing center ice draw and then took a pass back from Lars Jonsson inside his own blue line. Cullen turned up ice and maneuvered his way down the right side boards before cutting in front and roofing one over Jeff Glass to tie the game. It was his third goal and eighth point in three games against Binghamton.

Binghamton took the lead again at 8:20 on a fortunate bounce. A slapshot from the point hit Philadelphia's Matt Davis right in the glove as he passed through the slot, and the puck hit the iron behind Munroe and fell right to the feet of Brian Maloney. Maloney slammed it home to make it 2-1.

Again, however, the Phantoms came right back - this time 34 seconds later. The Phantoms were set up in the Binghamton zone when Tony Voce took the puck on the right boards and fed Baumgartner at the point. Baumgartner's one-timer flew through traffic and beat Glass low, tying the game at 2-2.

Then, with 7:14 remaining, the Phantoms took their first lead of the night on a fortunate bounce of their own. Pete Zingoni was deep in the left corner when he tossed a puck in front. Confused members of Binghamton's defensive corps spun about, and the puck bounced off one of them and into the net to give Philadelphia the 3-2 advantage.

The Phantoms then killed off more than 90 seconds of five-on-three time in the game's final minutes before Kane iced the victory with an empty-netter with 40 seconds remaining.

"I think a really big key was when they scored their goals, we came right back next shift and scored," Baumgartner said. "That gave us a lot of confidence, (and showed) that we were going to win this game."

Munroe took the win with 23 saves on 25 Binghamton shots, while Glass absorbed the loss with 33 saves on 36 of the Phantoms 37 shots on the night.

The Phantoms play one more game before the holiday break, a road contest on Saturday night at Hershey at 7:00. The game will be available live on the WIP audio stream at WIP - Philadelphia's Sports Radio - Homepage with Mike Thornton providing the play-by-play.

The Phantoms return to the Wachovia Spectrum next Friday, December 29 to host the Providence Bruins at 7:05. Individual tickets for all Phantoms games, including $8 tickets for children 14 and under anywhere in the building, are on sale now at or by calling 800-298-4200.

Premium Member
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Admirals Beat Bears, Claim First Place

NORFOLK, VA - Martin St. Pierre scored twice and Brandon Bochenski established a new franchise record by recording points in his twelfth consecutive Admirals game as the Norfolk Admirals (21-6-4-1) defeated the Hershey Bears (19-4-3-4) 6-3 on Friday night at Scope to claim first place in the East Division.

Bochenski established the new Norfolk Admirals franchise record scoring streak when he assisted on the Admirals' first goal of the game. While on the power play, Troy Brouwer collected the rebound from Bochenski's shot at the left edge of the crease and sent it to St. Pierre at the opposite side. St. Pierre fired the puck home at 6:04.

The Bears tied the game at 1-1 ten minutes later while shorthanded. A clearing dump went into the left corner of the Admirals' zone. Quintin Laing got the puck in the corner and centered it to Tomas Fleischmann in the slot, who one-timed it past Crawford at 16:38.

Norfolk reassumed the lead under a minute later on a five-on-three power play. Bochenski sent a pass from the top of the left circle to the top of the right circle. Cam Barker one-timed the puck through a screen and through Hershey goaltender Maxime Daigneault's leg pads at 17:24.

David Bolland doubled the Admirals' lead early in the second stanza. He collected the puck behind the Hershey net and skated around the right post, sending a wraparound wrist shot five-hole on Daigneault at 3:25.

The Bears closed the gap six minutes later. Kyle Wilson found an open Pete Vandermeer in the slot. Vandermeer one-timed Wilson's pass into the back of the net at 9:58.

Matt Keith manufactured the fourth Norfolk goal by stripping a Bears' defender of the puck just inside the Admirals' blue line. He skated in alone on Daigneault, deking forehand before sending a backhander over the netminder's right leg at 15:07.

St. Pierre netted his second goal of the game midway through the final frame. He sent a heavy wrist shot from the right slot hashmarks past Daigneault at 12:40.

Carl Corazzini scored the sixth Admirals goal by displaying patience with the puck on a partial breakaway. He sped into the attacking zone and leaned into a Hershey defender. He waited until he was nearly at the side of the net to slip the puck around Daigneault's left leg at 15:04.

Kyle Wilson tallied for the Bears with 12 seconds left in the game to close scoring on the night.

Corey Crawford (24 shots, 21 saves) picked up the win. Daigneault (37 shots, 31 saves) got the loss. Daren Machesney played the final 4:43, facing no shots and receiving no decision.

The Admirals were 2-6 on the power play. Hershey was 0-5.

The Admirals travel to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton tomorrow for a critical East Division matchup with the Penguins at 7:05.

Three Stars:

1. Martin St. Pierre - NOR

2. Brandon Bochenski - NOR

3. Matt Keith - NOR

Premium Member
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Griffins Defeat Rivermen, 3-2

PEORIA, Ill. - The Grand Rapids Griffins dominated and out-shot the Peoria Rivermen 13-6 during the third period on their way to a 3-2 win Friday night at Carver Arena snapping a four-game losing streak.

The Griffins will conclude their home-and-home set with the Rivermen Tuesday night at Van Andel Arena, game time is slated for 7 p.m.

Grand Rapids scored the lone goal of the first period when Jeff Campbell notched his first Griffins tally at 16:22, tucking a wrist shot inside the right goal post from the high-slot after finding Eric Himelfarb's rebound.

Peoria found the equalizer during a man-advantage at 5:31 of the middle frame. Mike Glumac fed a pass from the corner to Peter Sejna who slid the puck past Stefan Liv from the hash marks.

Determined to rid themselves of third period despair, the Griffins flew out of the gate and dominated the action during the final period. Perseverance paid off at 8:56 as Derek Meech sent a pass up the boards to Ryan Keller, resulting in a breakaway that he capitalized on by snapping a shot over Marek Schwarz's stick.

Matt Hussey sped through the Peoria defense and pulled the trigger from in close at 15:47, ultimately netting the game-winner as the Rivermen pulled their net minder and converted at 18:39 with the extra attacker. Glumac caught a rebound and sent the puck over a sprawling Liv, but a strong Griffins' defense stood their ground for the remainder of the game sealing the victory.

Earning his first Griffins' win since Oct. 7, Liv finished with 22 saves while Schwarz recorded 28.

Premium Member
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
‘Dogs edge Rats

HAMILTON, ON - Jaroslav Halak stopped 30 of the 31 shots he faced, leading the Hamilton Bulldogs over the Albany River Rats 2-1 on Friday night at Copps Coliseum. With the win, Hamilton (19-10-0-1) is now only one point behind the Rochester Americans (20-7-1-0) for first place in the North Division standings. The Bulldogs have now recorded at least one point in five straight games, going 4-0-1-0 in that span.

The Bulldogs opened the scoring when Matt D'Agostini scored a short-handed goal, his eighth of the season, at 16:15 of the first frame. D'Agostini stole the puck from a River Rats defender and went in alone on goaltender Justin Peters, beating him with a low shot to the glove side.

After a scoreless second period, Andre Benoit extended the Bulldogs lead to 2-0 at the 1:38 mark of the third period. Francis Lemieux and Maxim Lapierre both drew assists on the scoring play. Benoit's second goal of the season came on a slap shot from the point that made it through a crowd.

At the 14:44 mark of the third stanza the River Rats responded with a goal by Ben Guite, his eighth of the season, to bring Albany within one (2-1). Jakub Petruzalek and Pat Dwyer assisted on the goal, but it would be as close as the Rats would come, falling to the 'Dogs by a score of 2-1.

Halak, who leads the American Hockey League in goals against average (1.48), save percentage (.950) and shutouts (5), was named the game's first star and narrowly missed recording another shutout while picking up his 10th win of the season.

The Bulldogs return to action on December 26th at 7:05 p.m. when they travel to Rochester to take on the Americans at Blue Cross Arena at Rochester Memorial. Fans can listen to every 'Dogs game this season on the flagship station of the Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Network, 820 CHAM "The Legend," beginning with the Park's Furniture Pre-Game Show 20 minutes prior to each scheduled game time. Fans can also listen or watch at Hamilton Bulldogs :: Bulldogs by clicking on the 'B2 Networks' or '820 CHAM' icon on the 'Dogs website.

The 'Dogs next home game is on Wednesday, December 27th at Copps Coliseum against the Manitoba Moose at 7:30 p.m. Tickets for all 'Dogs home games (except home game #32) are available at the Copps Coliseum Box Office, any Ticketmaster outlet, online at Official Ticketmaster site. Tickets for Concerts, Sports, Arts, Theater, Family, Events, more, or through charge-by-phone at 905-527-7666.

Premium Member
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Darren Haydar ties AHL record as Wolves down Aeros 7-5

HOUSTON, Texas---Right wing Darren Haydar tied an American Hockey League record by registering a point in his 31st consecutive game when he picked up an assist in the first period of the Chicago Wolves 7-5 victory against the Houston Aeros at the Toyota Center Friday night. That record, set by Mike Richard of the Binghamton Whalers, has stood since the 1987-88 season. The helper was Haydar's league-leading 44th of the season. He also leads the AHL with 62 points. If the 27-year-old forward notches a point in the Wolves' matchup with San Antonio tomorrow, he will break the league milestone and tie the Chicago franchise record 32-game run, set by Rob Brown in 1996.

Chicago (22-7-1-1) and Houston (12-15-0-3) combined for five goals in both the first and second periods and each dropped two-goal leads as the squads remained deadlocked before right wing Kyle Wanvig broke a 5-5 tie and gave the Wolves the lead with under three minutes remaining, when he knocked a high-flying puck out of the air and past Houston netminder Josh Harding at 17:36 of the third period - the game-winner and his second goal of the night.

Harding (11-13-3) posted 18 saves for the Aeros in the loss.

The Wolves held the advantage first when defenseman Mark Popovic put Chicago on the board just over five minutes into the game with a blast from the point that blew by Harding for a 1-0 lead early on.

They padded the lead when rookie left wing Brett Sterling cracked the 30-goal mark in just his 29th contest of the season with his league-leading 13th power-play marker, which put the Wolves up, 2-0, at 7:50 of the opening stanza. Sterling has already shattered the franchise mark for goals by a rookie and his 30 goals are the most by a Wolves player through 31 games in franchise record.

Houston rallied back with two goals in quick succession at 9:39 and 10:45 of the first period. Right wing Roman Voloshenko lead the charge when he brought the puck through the neutral zone and fired a shot through traffic in front of the net that escaped under a screened Wolves goaltender, Fred Brathwaite. The Aeros added another on a power-play opportunity when left wing Peter Olvecky one-timed it to the back of the net just over a minute later to tie the game, 2-2.

Brathwaite (11-2-1) recorded 29 saves in the win.

The Aeros held on to the momentum and jumped ahead, 3-2, with a long drive from the point by blueliner Curtis Murphy at 15:07. Then, 1:18 into the second period, Aeros right wing Danny Irmen gave his club a 4-2 advantage when he one-timed a pass from blueliner Shawn Belle past Brathwaite.

The Wolves put the Aeros' offensive drive in check with two quick markers of their own to tie the game at four goals apiece. Kevin Doell notched his second goal in as many games when he came around the back of the net and pushed the puck by Harding at 2:04 and a long-blast by Brian Fahey just 70 seconds later put the score in a 4-4 deadlock.

Chicago regained the lead, 5-4, at 10:43 of the middle frame when Alex Bourret sprung Kyle Wanvig on a breakaway before the 25-year-old forward beat Harding on a snap shot from the hash marks, top shelf.

Voloshenko tipped in his second of the game for the Aeros on a man-advantage opportunity to knot the score, 5-5, at 17:01 to wind down the scoring going into the second intermission.

Center Steve Martins added an empty net goal at 19:41 of the final frame to round out the scoring at 7-5.

The Wolves return home tomorrow to round out a three-game stand against their Texas rivals when they take on the San Antonio Rampage at the Allstate Arena at 7 p.m.

Premium Member
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Stars give early gift to fans

DES MOINES, IA - The Iowa Stars and the Milwaukee Admirals squared-off for the third time this season and the first time here at Wells Fargo Arena on Friday evening. The Stars gave the nearly 6,000 fans in attendance plenty of opportunities to cheer, posting a 4-1 win over divisional rivals.

The Stars and Admirals skated a scoreless first period, thanks in part to spectacular saves by the goaltenders at both ends of the ice. Iowa netminder Dan Ellis and Milwaukee's Karl Goehring both came-up with acrobatic saves: Ellis flashing the glove on Milwaukee's Kim Staal and Goehring denying Iowa's Janos Vas by sprawling on his back and going legs over head. The Ad's out-shot the Stars nine to six in the period.

For the first time in three games against the Ad's, the Stars scored the game's first goal. Rookie Forward Chris Conner ignited the hometown crowd with a shorthanded goal at the 6:12 mark. Conner took a pass from Joel Lundqvist and streaked up the ice, beating the defender and fired a low wrist-shot that beat Goehring stick-side. Milwaukee evened the score with a shorthanded goal of their own. Rich Peverley's goal came at the 13:03 mark of the second period. Yared Hagos gave the Stars a 2-1 lead when he skated in front of the Milwaukee net and redirected a Marty Wilford shot from the point at 17:54. It was Hagos' first goal of the season. Iowa out-shot the Admirals 13 to six in the period.

Janos Vas gave Iowa a 3-1 lead at 5:43 of the third period. Vas picked-up the puck in the neutral zone, skated down the left-side wall and fired a slap-shot from the top of the left circle that beat Goehring on his stick side. The even-strength goal was unassisted. Defenseman Mark Ardelan all but sealed the victory when he one-timed a slap-shot just inside the right portion of the offensive zone. Ardelan's goal, a power-play goal, was his fifth goal of the season and was assisted by Marty Sertich and Chris Conner.

Iowa Stars Goaltender Dan Ellis earned his second consecutive win and has now earned his third win in three games against Milwaukee. Friday's game saw him register 24 saves.

Shots: IOWA: 29; MILWAUKEE: 25; Attendance: 5,693

Game Sheet - Home

IOWA STARS INFO: The Stars will enjoy their Christmas break and return to action on Tuesday, December 26th at 7:00 PM. It's Every Kid Gets a Gift Night and Bad Gift Night. Every kid in attendance will receive a gift from the Iowa Stars. In addition, anyone who received an unwanted gift for the holidays will be able to exchange his or her unwanted gift for a free ticket to a future Stars game. The unwanted gifts will then be donated to local charities. It's a 2 for 1 Tuesday! Purchase two $21 tickets for the price of one with a valid high school, college, or military ID! It's our third GETAWAY TUESDAY! One lucky fan will win round trip airfare for two to Las Vegas, courtesy of Allegiant Air! After playing in Omaha on the 29th, the Stars return home for a Saturday, December 30th contest with the Milwaukee Admirals. Face-off is slated for 7:00 PM. Doors open for all home games one hour before face-off. Bring a group or hold your child's birthday at a Stars game! All ticketing information can be obtained by calling 515-23-STARS or by visiting

Premium Member
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Flames Recall Germyn From Knights

The Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights announced today that the Calgary Flames, their National Hockey League affiliate, have recalled right wing Carsen Germyn. The announcement was made by Flames' General Manager Darryl Sutter. Germyn will join the Flames in time for their game at San Jose tonight at 9:00 p.m. CT.

Germyn is making his first appearance with the Flames this season. He is currently tied for third in Knights' scoring with eight goals and ten assists for 18 points and 64 penalty minutes. Now in his fourth professional season, Germyn was the Knights' leading goal scorer and second leading point getter last season, earning 24 goals and 31 assists for 55 points. He also made his NHL debut with the Flames on April 1, 2006 at Edmonton. He played in two NHL games during that recall. Germyn was signed by the Flames as a free agent in July of 2004 following his first professional season with the Norfolk Admirals of the AHL. Prior to turning pro, the native of Campbell River, British Columbia played five seasons of junior hockey with Kelowna and Red Deer of the WHL.

In other transaction news, the Ak-Sar-Ben Knights released defenseman Ryan Bonni from a professional tryout. In two games with the Knights, the native of Winnipeg, Manitoba had no points and two penalty minutes. He will return to the Las Vegas Wranglers of the ECHL.

The Ak-Sar-Ben Knights return to action tonight when they host the Milwaukee Admirals at 7:00 p.m. Following a two-day Christmas break, the Knights will play five games in six days beginning Tuesday, December 26th at Iowa.

Tickets for all Ak-Sar-Ben Knights' games are on sale at the Omaha Civic Auditorium box office Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Tickets also are available through all Ticketmaster outlets and by phone at (402) 422-1212. Kids 12 and under get in free with a paid adult on tickets purchased after 5:00 p.m. Other restrictions apply.
41 - 48 of 48 Posts