·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Belfour [OH The Drama]

July 11, 2006
BY HELENE ST. JAMES
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

The agent for goaltender Ed Belfour sounded optimistic that a deal could be announced as soon as today.

"We are moving towards our mutual goal of making Ed Belfour a Red Wing," Ron Salcer, Belfour's agent, said Monday evening. Salcer said he and Wings general manager Ken Holland are talking numbers.

"In my talks with Ken, there's a deal to be made with the Red Wings," he said. "The interest is on both sides. We're looking to get something done."

Holland was not available for comment, but Red Wings spokesman John Hahn said Holland had talked to the camps for Belfour and Dominik Hasek.

But while the Wings went after Belfour, it was Hasek's side that contacted the Wings, and they had very little interest. With Hasek's history of groin injures, he poses an even greater risk than Belfour, who had back surgery last spring. The Wings took the step of having Belfour come to Detroit last Wednesday for a three-hour physical, which he passed.

Belfour, 41, is coming off a subpar season, going 22-22 last season with a 3.29 goals-against average and .892 save percentage. But he backstopped Dallas to the Stanley Cup in 1999, and, having spent the past three seasons with Toronto, he's demonstrated he can handle being scrutinized come playoff time.

He appeals to the Wings for several reasons: He's a proven veteran. He's willing to accept a one-year deal. He's willing to work cheap. The Wings are looking to sign him for $500,000, with incentives.

That, in fact, might be what's holding up the deal. Because the base salary is relatively low, Belfour likely is seeking a guarantee that he would be the starter rather than having to battle for it with Chris Osgood.

All the Wings are looking for is a capable veteran to serve as a stopgap until Jimmy Howard is ready for the NHL. They had to pick someone, as Steve Yzerman reflected when asked about the situation Sunday.

"If you look at the goaltenders that are out there and still available, everybody comes with a huge price tag or lack of experience or some type of past injury situation," Yzerman said. "Every goalie out there is somewhat of a gamble. That's the dilemma we're facing."

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Belfour working out for Panthers

TSN.ca Staff
7/19/2006 9:28:40 AM

An on-again-off-again negotiation with the Florida Panthers is on again for veteran goaltender Ed Belfour.

Sources tell TSN Belfour is in Florida today working out for the Panthers.

If the 41-year-old netminder passes his medical evaluation it is believed the Panthers will sign him to a one year deal that could pay him as much as $1.5 million.

Following Florida's first attempt at signing Belfour several days ago, he decided to go through a similar process with the Detroit Red Wings.

However, his efforts failed to attract the contract he was seeking.

For Belfour, a stop in Florida will bring his NHL career full circle. He started in the early 1990's in Chicago with Mike Keenan at the helm and it appears he may end his career as a Panther...again with Keenan overseeing his hire.

That relationship led to a pair of Vezina trophies, a Calder trophy, a Jennings trophy and a trip to the Stanley Cup final.

Both Belfour and the Panthers believe some of that magic still exists, even if it comes in a backup role to Alex Auld.

Now its up to the 'Eagle' to prove he still can soar.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Panthers won't sign Belfour

TSN.ca Staff
7/20/2006 4:48:01 PM

Ed Belfour's search for a new home in the NHL continues.

The Florida Panthers have had a sudden change of heart and intend to put their faith in recently acquired goaltender Alex Auld.

The Panthers brought Belfour, a 41 year old veteran into Sunrise, Florida yesterday for medical testing and were expected to offer him a contract.

Instead Florida has rescinded its offer and have decided to go with what they have.

The Panthers originally offered Belfour a one-year deal, which he ignored while trying to prove his good health to the Detroit Red Wings.

When a deal didn't materialize, the Belfour camp revisited prior discussions in Florida leading to his arrival Tuesday with the understanding if he was medically cleared there was a good chance he would be signed.

Sources say the negotiation is now dead, leaving Belfour open on the market to investigate what other options he may have.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I'm not sure if he's done yet. He may not be as great as he was before, but we have to remember that he's been a very slow goalie for quite a while now. One of the slowest in the league really. For him, it's almost all positioning, especially in Toronto when they took a chance on him, and for the most part, was superb.

Can he still do it? Not sure, but I wouldn't count him out of at least still being a decent goalie.

Why is he playing for so long? Well, I think he mentioned some time back that he wants to play against his son Dayne (or something like that) in an NHL game before he retires. I guess he really meant it.

·
494 Posts
He isnt a bad goalie, has tons of leadership and experience.. is he worth 1+ million, i dont know. He should get base + incentives upto 1.5, that would be fair IMO.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i feel bad for the guy...i just wanna give him a hug lol..he isnt a bad goalie..but i dnt think hes fit for another season being #1...he wasnt the sharpest with the leafs last season...but i do like how he still wants to play, hockey is his passion...but in a way i think he should retire..or just become a goalie coach or sumthing..but ya.. we'll see what happens i guess!!

best of luck Eddie! I miss my eagle! lol :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts