Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am completely new to this forum. That is beside the point though. I need some opinions/facts/advice. If you have either one of those three things for me, please comment. Well, this is my situation. I am currently 16. I enjoy hockey with a passion. I love playing. The problem is, I never played on any sport team, not even with just friends. Even though I am into street hockey, I want to make my carreer in the NHL. The problem is, I am 16 and I never ice skated a day in my life. I have skated on roller skates though if that has anything in common. I realised that a lot of ice skaters started when they were young. Would it matter if I am so late to learn and that I have never been on a team to get drafted for the NHL in the future? I am still a junior if that matters at all.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I am completely new to this forum. That is beside the point though. I need some opinions/facts/advice. If you have either one of those three things for me, please comment. Well, this is my situation. I am currently 16. I enjoy hockey with a passion. I love playing. The problem is, I never played on any sport team, not even with just friends. Even though I am into street hockey, I want to make my carreer in the NHL. The problem is, I am 16 and I never ice skated a day in my life. I have skated on roller skates though if that has anything in common. I realised that a lot of ice skaters started when they were young. Would it matter if I am so late to learn and that I have never been on a team to get drafted for the NHL in the future? I am still a junior if that matters at all.
Okay first off. Welcome to the forum.
Secondly getting drafted may be hard without ever playing on a team. If i were you i would learn how to skate A.S.A.P if you want any chance of making it into the NHL. It would be a long shot but i think if you worked hard and joined a team you might be able to make it. I mean some players do make it into the NHL after starting at 16. But they are rarely drafted. Maybe if you play hard enough and put up points in whatever league you end up playing in you will be noticed by an NHL team in the future.
So there is a chance buddy but it's a long shot and it will take hours of hard work daily to acheive it.

Edit: Rollerskating is similar to ice skating. I honestly find very little difference in them. But if you are a strong rollerskater i think you could take to ice skating pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I actually find ice skating easier, because, in my opinion, it is more fluid, if that makes any sense. Knowing how to roller blade gives you a big jump on learning how to ice skate (when contrasted with someone who does not know how to do either). However, starting this late in organized hockey is going to make it tough to get into the NHL. I say, do your best, train hard, put in the extra hours, and maybe it will happen, but still, you're chances are slim to none. Sorry. I will pulling for you, however!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is practicing street hockey similiar to ice hockey but without the ice and skates?

·
Registered
158 Posts
No matter what there is always a chance. If you put 110% into your playing and your skill and head is in the right place. you can always get a shot. i mean thee are more options than being drafted too...like Open try outs for an ECHL team near you(they are the AA of pro minor leagues + the offer OPEN tryouts). You can play at a high level of adult leagues and get noticed too.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Honestly, Mako, starting competitive hockey at the age of 16 will be a huge detriment to you from being drafted, unless you're some kind of wunderkind. There are, however, plenty of different paths to get into the NHL.

You have to be 20 by December 31st of the respective year to play in the ECHL, unless you come out of college or come from Europe. Since Mako is 16 right now, I don't think this is a plausible way for him to go right now.

Speaking of college, that's what I recommend. Work hard on the ice and in school, commit to a college that has a hockey program, work your way onto the team and always put in 100% when you're there. NHL players like Dan Boyle (Miami University), Martin St. Louis (University of Vermont), John Madden (University of Michigan) and Dwayne Roloson (University of Massachusetts Lowell) have gone through college systems and signed with NHL teams as free agents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to join for a team but by the time I got to my school, they got rid of their hockey program. I keep hearing teacher's mention that our school used to have a hockey team. It kills me to hear that. I would of joined my freshman year if they still had it. For now, I am practicing my shots until I can get to ice.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Even if your school no longer has a hockey program, you might consider asking those that were involved in the coaching of that team for some contact information they might have regarding possible ice times, or training opportunities or anything like that.

You might also want to look into something like playing for another school's team while you are still registered as a student at your school. It depends on the school board that your school is in though, since I've only ever saw something like that happen once or twice while I was in high school.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was actually going to be my next question about getting into another school team while I'm in a different school.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Go find a house league you can join right now. Hopefully you can get into a summer league and get some experience. Learn to skate and work hard. Also how tall are you ? and how much do you weigh ? just a general idea because some NHL teams might look at you based on your size

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right now I am about 5'7. I probably won't grow much taller because I've been 5'7 for a while and I'm about 125 but I am working on gaining weight and I've been lifting weights recently.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts