Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are out lines (building from within, estimated value of FAs)

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
James Neal ($2.875m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Tyler Kennedy ($1.500m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Mark Letestu ($0.625m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Alexei Kovalev ($1.500m)
Michael Rupp ($0.825m) / Dustin Jeffrey ($0.600m) / Craig Adams ($0.550m)
Eric Godard ($0.750m) / Joe Vitale ($0.512m) / Arron Asham ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Kristopher Letang ($3.500m)
Simon Despres ($0.870m) / Matt Niskanen ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m) / Brent Johnson ($0.600m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,582,500; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $617,500

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Here are out lines (building from within, estimated value of FAs)

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Mark Letestu ($0.625m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Alexei Kovalev ($1.500m)
Michael Rupp ($0.825m) / Dustin Jeffrey ($0.600m) / Craig Adams ($0.550m)
Eric Godard ($0.750m) / Joe Vitale ($0.512m) / Arron Asham ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
Simon Despres ($0.870m) / Matt Niskanen ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,582,500; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $617,500
Let me save you some money here, take a pencil and scratch out Alexi Kovalev. Simply not worth it, he came, he cruised, he cashed his check. Cya. Doesn’t fit the current structure, more of a dancer than a banger, and we are a hard forechecking/hitting team. Keep the pencil though, any time you have that thought again, jab yourself to remind you how painful he was to watch play when he came here. Insert instead Eric Tangradi. Gotta be his year to make the team and let him show what he’s got. But let’s not misuse him on the fourth line like we did last season.

Goddard? not worth the money to sit in the press box. Insert Deryk Englland in any game you need a physical presence, 19 games and 5 mins a game? No thanks

Michael Rupp ,Max Talbot, Arron Asham, Pascal Dupuis?? Nice guys all, but we can do better. Rupper over performed this season, not expecting it again. Max is great to have around, but we need more than that on the ice. Asham is a maybe, if he wants to come back cheap again. Would be another physical presence. Duper would work out, if he likes to play the fourth line. He has been misfit on the first line for much of his time here. Like his work ethic, but thanks for your time here if you won’t accept the position. In the end, ALL these guys are role players, If they want to come back, they better be making the team discounts, because none of them are indespensible.

Of the rest, well I’d love to have Craig Adams around again. Solid fourth liner and a valuable penalty killer. But will be 35 next year.

I’m going to assume that we are going to resign Kennedy since he’s an RFA, and the $1.5M you propose doesn’t seem too bad. So with what we already have under contract, we can populate our first three lines to start the season. I have high hopes for Tangradi, make it or break it year for him. I’m also willing to switch him with Kennedy, Kennedy is a gamer, so:
FORWARDS
James Neal ($2.875m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Eric Tangradi($0.846)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Mark Letestu ($0.625m) / Tyler Kennedy ($1.500m)

Fourth line is negotiable. See the money we have left later.

On defense I’d rather start the season with the core six we had for most of the year. Lovejoy and Engelland will just get better. Let’s see what Despres has in camp, but lets not rush him. As for Niskanen? He was a toss in with Neal, $1.5M is a little too much for a number 5/6 defenseman, if we can unload him, do it, for now, he’s still here.
DEFENSEMEN
Ben Lovejoy($0.525m) / Deryk Engelland($0.566m)
Matt Niskanen ($1.500m)

With the $5.6m for Fleury and Johnson, that brings my shopping total at this point to $57.2M. That will leave about $5m to spend on five fourth line / role players. Connor and Jeffery could probably be had for about $.800 each. Still leaves me with about $3.6M to spend. Need a few good defensive forwards to fill out. I’ll try to resign Adams again,giving us most of this years PK team, and I’ll give him a slight raise to $0.650M. So I have two spots to fill, and about $2.9M to the cap. Let’s see who’s out there.

The whole Cooke thing could change things too. He has embarrassed the organization, he could be traded to save $$$. Move him out and move Connor up, and you save $1.8M.

As I said, I’d shop Niskanen around too. With the depth we have at defense, and the players in the minors, we could dump $1.5M of his salary too.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well our biggest need is a PP QB IMO. Maybe Kaberle would be a good addition through FA?

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Arron Asham ($0.700m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Chris Conner ($0.550m)
Michael Rupp ($0.825m) / Joe Vitale ($0.512m) / Craig Adams ($0.550m)

My justification for having Asham on a line with Malkin is, quite frankly, they played out of their minds when on a line together this year. Cooke - Staal - Conner would be a good line for us, mainly because it would be a perfect mix of goonism, two-way hockey and speed without any hands. You can substitute Vitale and Talbot as you want, but I can't see Talbot signing here unless he'll take a significant paycut (<800k). I could also see Dupuis being used in the bottom six for PK purposes, but really nothing else.

DEFENSEMEN
Tomas Kaberle ($4.000m) / Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m)
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Kristopher Letang ($3.500m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Ben Lovejoy ($0.525m)
/ Deryk Engelland ($0.566m)

I hate having to put Paul Martin on the third pairing with Ben Lovejoy, but truth be told he's just the odd man out. Kaberle would be a good addition to our PP, as a D pairing of Kaberle - Letang on the first unit and then Michalek - Lovejoy on the second would be magical. Engelland and Lovejoy could each probably play 41 games per year with Engelland in to make sure nobody touches our skill players. We could also trade Fleury and put Michalek in net...

GOALTENDERS

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,379,167; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $820,833

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Couple of things. First I don't think anyone is going to take a paycut, its a matter of minimizing the increase. One other thing, both your post make no mention of Eric Tangradi, why not, he's big and coming of age. He either needs to make the team this season, or let's find a buyer of potential.

As for a Power Play QB, I'm not worried there. Sid and Malkin coming back will be a hugh difference. Spend some dollars on a true Power Play coach though. The players are playing the system, its the system that is not working on the PP.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couple of things. First I don't think anyone is going to take a paycut, its a matter of minimizing the increase. One other thing, both your post make no mention of Eric Tangradi, why not, he's big and coming of age. He either needs to make the team this season, or let's find a buyer of potential.

As for a Power Play QB, I'm not worried there. Sid and Malkin coming back will be a hugh difference. Spend some dollars on a true Power Play coach though. The players are playing the system, its the system that is not working on the PP.
Tangradi just hasn't seemed exactly good in his short stints with us this year, but he'd probably be a great option for a third line winger spot with Cookie as long as he can keep conditioning this off season

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tangradi just hasn't seemed exactly good in his short stints with us this year, but he'd probably be a great option for a third line winger spot with Cookie as long as he can keep conditioning this off season
Rupper over performed this season, not expecting it again.
That's what I thought the past two years haha

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
My problem with this has been that when he DOES get the call, they mired him on the fourth line and limited his minutes(He averaged a whooping 11 minutes a game). How can you show your skills playing on the grinder line an average of 4 shifts a period where the line's whole goal is simply not to get scored on and provide some energy?

Edit: Oh yeah, and you get to show off those skills with the likes of Max Talbot, Mike Rupp, Craig Adams, Eric Goddard . . . . .

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
According to Ray Shero, only Mike Comrie and Alex Kovalev have been ruled out, and will definitely not be resigned. Any one else of the free agents he is willing to talk to.

I guess we all have to wait for the cap # for next season to be announced to start the wheels spinning.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Well the Pens resign Craig Adams at $675K a year for two years. A $125K raise, not bad. Good solid fourth liner who will get alot of PK time. Great on faceoffs too.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Could be. Haven't heard much on the Dupuis front, but it has been said that Talbot turned down a three year offer from the Pens, wanting either another year or more money(can't remember the $$, but it wasn't much of a raise)

Other news is that the Pens failed to make a qualifying offer to Tyler Kennedy, apparently they could not come to terms. So he can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Rumers are they are close to coming up with a deal with Rupp, can't be much.

And the rumors continue to swirl around Jagr.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Well in the last two days, the Pens signed Dupuis to a two year deal at $1.5M per, and also signed Aaron Asham to a one year deal for $775K. Not bad, but its limiting the promotion of some of the Baby Pens that need to expand their roles. As it stands now the Pens have signed:

Neil - Crosby - Kunitz
Tangradi - Staal - Malkin
Cooke - Letestu - Dupuis
Asham - Adams

Gotta be a year where the Pens move up Tangradi.

The Pens have also made a one year offer to Jagr, no terms were given, but that would fill out a starting roster.

I still see the pens trying to move a defenseman. Their loaded both here and in the minors, and also used their first two picks on defensemen in the draft.

I guess alot will be determined later today when Jagr makes a decision on where he will play

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Man-Bear-Pig is in the houuuuuuuuse. Tyler Kennedy re uped for 2 years at $2M per.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Only two more months to go, get here fast season!

I wouldn't say the Pens dipped in big into free agency this season, just seems like depth players. Will be interesting to see how Steve Sullivan plays with the pens, and in what role. Playing for Nashville, he surely is defensive, but now that he will have a little more freedom offensively he could be at least in the 20's in goals.(well, he has to stay healthy too).

Sounds like Malkin is working really hard this offseason, not only rehabing his knee, but conditioning. He could be in the best shape he's ever started a season.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts