Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Waited a little longer before deciding to make this thread, but some very interesting names have already received invites. As always, if someone gets invited, let me know, I'll add it to the list - and have fun talking about the players still out there and where they'll get invited. As training camps edge closer, I may or may not add the undrafted prospects that will be participating as try-outs as well.

Last year, we had Ruslan Fedotenko, Matt Hendricks, Adam Mair and Peter Schaefer secure a spot with the team that offered them the try-out. Who will win a spot this year?

Boston Bruins
RW Chris Clark - Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL)

Chicago Blackhawks
G Ray Emery - Anaheim Ducks (NHL)

Colorado Avalanche
D Mike Brennan - Toronto Marlies (AHL)

Columbus Blue Jackets
G Trevor Ludwig - Texas Stars (AHL)
RW/LW Fernando Pisani - Chicago Blackhawks (NHL)

Detroit Red Wings
W Fabian Brunnström - Texas Stars / Toronto Marlies (AHL)
C Ryan Johnson - Chicago Blackhawks (NHL)

Edmonton Oilers
D Kirill Tulupov - Spartak Moskva (KHL)

Los Angeles Kings
D Shaun Heshka - EC Salzburg (Austria)
RW Trent Hunter - New York Islanders (NHL)
D Ray Macias - Lake Erie Monsters (AHL)
C Cam Paddock - Iserlohn Roosters (DEL)
RW J.D. Watt - San Antonio Rampage (AHL)

Minnesota Wild
D Jordan Hendry - Chicago Blackhawks (NHL)

Montreal Canadiens
D Zack FitzGerald - Charlotte Checkers (AHL)

New Jersey Devils
RW Steve Bernier - Florida Panthers (NHL)
D Anton Stralman - Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL)
RW Petr Sykora - HC Plzen (Czech Republic)

New York Islanders
LW Jay Pandolfo - Springfield Falcons (AHL)
D Steve Staios - Calgary Flames (NHL)

Ottawa Senators
LW Maxim Grachev - Severstal Cherepovets (KHL)

Philadelphia Flyers
C Adam Mair - New Jersey Devils (NHL)
C Michael Nylander - Rochester Americans (AHL)

Tampa Bay Lightning
RW Eric Neilson - San Antonio Rampage (AHL)

Vancouver Canucks
F Steve Bégin - Milwaukee Admirals (AHL)
RW Niko Dimitrakos - Alder Mannheim (DEL)
D Anders Ericsson - MODO (SEL)
G Manny Legace - Iserlohn Roosters (DEL)
RW Owen Nolan - ZSC (Switzerland)
LW Todd Fedoruk - Tampa Bay Lightning (2009/10 NHL)

Winnipeg Jets
G David Aebischer - Lugano (NLA)
RW/LW Troy Bodie - Carolina Hurricanes (NHL)
LW David Koci - Colorado Avalanche (NHL)
LW Janne Pesonen - Ak Bars Kazan (KHL)
LW Shawn Weller - Manitoba Moose (AHL)

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Brunnstrom interests me. He obviously has a ton of skill, but he hasn't quite been able to put it all together yet. He's a guy who I think could be a 50+ point guy if he can put all his skills together and work hard and play a solid two way game, so in that case the Red Wings seem like a perfect fit along with being able to play with a good amount of his countrymen.

·
Registered
115 Posts
With the season fast arising I was interested to see the NHL is worried about the lack of scoring. They are trying many variations to raise this equation. The answer is simple, raise the goalie cross bar one to two inches. I'm tired of the butterfly, how about you? A raised bar would encourage more expertise in goal tending while increasing scoring.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
With the season fast arising I was interested to see the NHL is worried about the lack of scoring. They are trying many variations to raise this equation. The answer is simple, raise the goalie cross bar one to two inches. I'm tired of the butterfly, how about you? A raised bar would encourage more expertise in goal tending while increasing scoring.
It MUST be the summer, because this sort of talk about chaning the rules comes up every August. :)

An increase in offense which has been engineered by massaging net sizes, odd changes to the rules, and so on, doesn't necessarily bring excitement along with it. It's what happens during the game, regardless of whether it's 1-0 or 7-6 that makes it exciting.

Daryl

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
It's all the Gretzky Haters and Sid and Ovey Lovers who want to see someone else score 200pts. ;)

Seriously they aren't going to be happy until we are back with 10 guys hitting 100+pts, and 7 or 8 50 goal scorers.

Soccer is the most popular game in the world and they only score a goal every three games. (maybe that's just in Toronto)

My three all time favorite games involve goalies playing out of their minds. Not outscoring the other team 9-7.

Still some of hte ideas being discuss have merit and should be looked at for a while.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I played a lot of soccer and also hockey in my day. I loved both sports. Low scoring hockey can be exciting as can soccer. I don't like the butterfly goal tending in hockey as I feel it is not really goal tending. You might as well just lay down across the goal mouth and say shoot boys. Bostons goalie is a throw back to good old fashioned goal tending. If they raised the bar then the goalies would have to stand up and be mobile.

·
Registered
115 Posts
They are talking about changing the depth of the netting and a line behind the goal line to better tell if a goal has been scored or not. The netting change would give more room behind the net for the oposing forwards as well as the defensemen. The line would show on camera if the puck touched it or not, if it did it would be a goal. Some food for thought.

·
Registered
115 Posts
They say that with the goal depth shorter it gives the players a better passing line.(or view)I would like to see the cross bar raised and inch to make goalies have to stand up more. I watched the Toronto goalie the other night and he spent the evening down in the butterfly position. What kind of deal is that?

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Sykora just might make the Devils. I didn't really want him at the beginning of training camp, but he's done a lot to make me change my mind. He's still got the instincts and the hands, he just doesn't have the legs he used to.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Let the season begin! Most players are signed and ready to go.That's of course if Shanahan lets them. lol. The mighty Leafs look about the same oh well.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Brunnstrom gets a contract from the Red Wings. Definitely deserved as he was great in training camp - scored goals, went hard to the net, went into tough areas of the ice and wasn't a liability in his end.

Of course, Mursak's injury helped his chances a lot too, but the signing doesn't surprise me.

Brad Winchester signed with the Sharks and Emery signed with the Blackhawks. Pretty good year for free agent invites.

Sykora just might make the Devils. I didn't really want him at the beginning of training camp, but he's done a lot to make me change my mind. He's still got the instincts and the hands, he just doesn't have the legs he used to.
Sykora was trying out as a center too, wasn't he? The Devils are a little shallow there too, so there's some solid positives for signing him.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
VICE™;611833 said:
Sykora was trying out as a center too, wasn't he? The Devils are a little shallow there too, so there's some solid positives for signing him.
He started out at center, but they've since moved him to right wing, with Parise on the left and Elias in the middle. That line has shown some pretty good chemistry, so they might just keep them together.

Stralman might make it as a depth defenseman, although I haven't really been impressed with him. He can move the puck and has a decent shot, but he's a trainwreck in his own end. And they offered Bernier a two-way contract, but he turned it down.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, looks like he's earned the contract. Devils signed him for $650,000.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Who are you to judge players quickness and their ability with their hands? Have you ever coached a NHL player? You sound like some kind of expert but I wonder about that! I don't think Burke is an idiot, so Steckel has a role to play on the Leafs.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Who are you to judge players quickness and their ability with their hands? Have you ever coached a NHL player? You sound like some kind of expert but I wonder about that! I don't think Burke is an idiot, so Steckel has a role to play on the Leafs.
I've seen enough of Steckel to know that he's good at faceoffs, and pretty much useless at everything else. He's got good size but rarely ever uses it. His offensive game is nonexistent, and his defensive game not much better. Hell, he lost his roster spot to Brad Mills. Getting anything at all in return for him is a win for Lou.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts