·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

LW Milan Michalek

C/LW Cory Emmerton
LW/RW Andrej Nestrasil

Why does Ottawa do this?

Ottawa is entering a rebuild, so moving a player with a $4.33M price tag that hasn't performed up to the expectations placed on him from his involvement in the Heatley trade for two quality prospects is a move that fits the bill.

Emmerton is a centre that can step into the Senators' line-up this year and perform as a third line centre - responsible in his own end, good in the face-off dot and can play on the penalty kill. Willing to go to the rough areas of the ice to play the game and protects the puck well when it's in his possession. His offensive game hasn't developed as expected, but he still has untapped offensive potential and a change in scenery and system could make all the difference.

Nestrasil is a bit more of a long-term player, but given Ottawa's lack of much noteworthy on the wing, he fills a huge hole in their prospect pool - that of a top six forward. Good size, very strong, good along the boards and in traffic, controls the game when he has the puck and can pull off flashy moves. Sometimes is a little too unselfish and could stand to shoot more, and bring up his day-to-day intensity since he appears uninterested at times in both games and practices. He has the potential to be a significant piece of a top six in the future, especially one like Ottawa where he'll have the opportunity.

Ottawa Line-Up Post-Trade

Nikita Filatov - Jason Spezza - Bobby Butler
Nick Foligno - Mika Zibanejad - Daniel Alfredsson
Peter Regin - Cory Emmerton - Erik Condra
Jesse Winchester - Zenon Konopka - Chris Neil
Francis Lessard, Colin Greening

Why does Detroit do this?

Detroit gets a left winger that will allow Zetterberg to move to centre on a more permanent basis and not hurt the depth on that side of the ice. Michalek has struggled in his time in Ottawa, mostly due to injury issues and being counted on to be one of the offensive leaders instead of a complementary player. In Detroit, Michalek would be a complementary player. His combination of size and speed would make him a great winger for Zetterberg, who's gotten slower due to issues with his back. His all-around game would be appreciated by Babcock. In addition, the length of his contract (signed through 2013-14) will help ease the transition as Holmstrom and Bertuzzi leave the team through retirement (which will be considered by both), and possibly Hudler if he doesn't perform.

It's a gamble on the part of the Red Wings to get Michalek to rebound back from his two years in Ottawa (where he has been essentially a 0.5 PPG player) to what he was looking like in San Jose, performing at a 55 point, 25 goal level while contributing in the defensive zone too. Given the players he would get to play with and the way he would be used in the system, personally, I feel like this would be a gamble worth taking.

Detroit Line-Up Post-Trade

Jiri Hudler - Pavel Datsyuk - Johan Franzen
Milan Michalek - Henrik Zetterberg - Daniel Cleary
Tomas Holmstrom - Valtteri Filppula - Todd Bertuzzi
Justin Abdelkader - Darren Helm - Patrick Eaves
Drew Miller, Jan Mursak

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Michalek might just excel in Detroit.

However:

DET might need to alter their end. The lack of pressure on Ottawa to move Michalek will mean the price is higher. Even though they are in unofficical re-build mode the Sens still have to put butts in the seats. Weighing Michalek's speed and 20+ goals v. prospects, doesn't look so good if the team can't compete and attendance drops.

With Michalek only 26 and under a decent contract for a few more years, it drives up the price even more.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With Michalek only 26 and under a decent contract for a few more years, it drives up the price even more.
Decent contract is pushing it a bit, he's got a cap hit of $4.3M and has averaged less than 35 points in his time in Ottawa, all while having injury problems that have prevented him from playing a full season.

If Michalek's brought to Detroit, it's very much as a reclamation project and financial relief for the Senators. I'd be willing to add a bit to the trade from Detroit's side, but it completely depends on what they want added in. Too much and I'll have no problem walking away.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Decent contract is pushing it a bit, he's got a cap hit of $4.3M and has averaged less than 35 points in his time in Ottawa, all while having injury problems that have prevented him from playing a full season.

If Michalek's brought to Detroit, it's very much as a reclamation project and financial relief for the Senators. I'd be willing to add a bit to the trade from Detroit's side, but it completely depends on what they want added in. Too much and I'll have no problem walking away.
From Ottawa's pov he is basically their 3rd most dangerous forward. Some of the young guys might step up and pass him this year but I just can't see them moving him for someone who might play on their 3rd line.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Blockbuster trade proposal thread

I'm personally a fan of big blockbuster deals. And here's a trade to start it off.

To CHI:
Thomas Vanek

To:BUF
Patrick Sharp

I've been a fan of Patrick Sharps game. Has a great shot, can play any position on the ice and in any zone. Vanek is a solid offensive player but Buffalo builds a team around defense. This move would clear must needed cap space for Buffalo. Sharp would improve our power-play and PK.

Chicago However, I think need a forward in front of the opposing net-minder. First off, on Chicago, you got players that can shoot the puck like Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa, you name it. Vanek would create havoc in front of that net and would make it really tough to look around him. Vanek would help Chicago on the power-play as well. But I hear that over the summer Vanek has gotten stronger and even injured our best hitter Kaleta in practice O___o and is in discussion as the captain of the Sabres.

Overall, it would help both teams. I don't really know who would win this trade. Seems pretty fair to trade two great mid aged wingers that can hit nearly 40 goals plus. What are you're thoughts? Or if you have a big deal you wanna share, post it. :)

Have a great day! :bt

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I'm personally a fan of big blockbuster deals. And here's a trade to start it off.

To CHI:
Thomas Vanek

To:BUF
Patrick Sharp

I've been a fan of Patrick Sharps game. Has a great shot, can play any position on the ice and in any zone. Vanek is a solid offensive player but Buffalo builds a team around defense. This move would clear must needed cap space for Buffalo. Sharp would improve our power-play and PK.

Chicago However, I think need a forward in front of the opposing net-minder. First off, on Chicago, you got players that can shoot the puck like Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa, you name it. Vanek would create havoc in front of that net and would make it really tough to look around him. Vanek would help Chicago on the power-play as well. But I hear that over the summer Vanek has gotten stronger and even injured our best hitter Kaleta in practice O___o and is in discussion as the captain of the Sabres.

Overall, it would help both teams. I don't really know who would win this trade. Seems pretty fair to trade two great mid aged wingers that can hit nearly 40 goals plus. What are you're thoughts? Or if you have a big deal you wanna share, post it. :)

Have a great day! :bt
I think because of the cap hit the hawks would lose this deal. Vanek is a great player but i just think the versatility and more cap friendly Sharp is better then Vanek in front of hte net.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Another trade.

To Tor:

Zach Parise

To NJ:

1st round pick
Clarke Macarthur
Keith Aulie
Joe Colborne

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
To NSH:

Ryan Malone

Brett Connolly

1st round pick

To Tampa:

Shea Weber

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
To Det:

Jarome Iginla

To Cgy:

Fillpula
tatar
1st rounder

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
To Bos:

Bobby Ryan

To ANA:

Zdeno Chara

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To NSH:

Ryan Malone
Brett Connolly
1st round pick

To Tampa:

Shea Weber
If Nashville's out of the playoffs at the deadline and negotiations with Weber aren't going well, I think this trade could work out well for both teams. I think Nashville would push for someone other than Malone in the deal though - maybe Downie or Purcell - younger, better contracts, equally if not more productive.

Good basis for a deal, but the surrounding circumstances have to be there for Nashville to move Weber, I imagine.

To Det:

Jarome Iginla

To Cgy:

Fillpula
tatar
1st rounder
Another deadline deal in my books. I'd love to see a healthy Iginla with the Red Wings and wouldn't have an issue paying this price, but I really have concerns over the issues with his back.

If his back is fine through the season until the deadline, I'd be all for it - even with Iginla being 34 this season and another year on his contract.

To Bos:

Bobby Ryan

To ANA:

Zdeno Chara
Bruins take a huge step back. You take Chara off that blueline, their defense is a hot mess. Boychuk, Seidenberg, Ference, Kampfer, McQuaid and Corvo is one of the weakest defenses in the league.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
To Pitt:

Ales Hemsky
Jeff Petry
Ryan Martindale

To EDM:

Kris Letang
Tyler Kennedy

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
To Pitt:

Eric Staal

To Carolina:

Evgeni Malkin

·
Registered
5 Posts
L.A. and Vancouver

L.A. may not accept this deal, I'm open to changes, This would maybe be the biggest deal since the lockout.
To L.A.:
Keith Ballard
Jordan Schroeder (Canucks top prospect, Centre, replacement for Brayden Schenn)
Mason Raymond
Cory Schnieder
Ryan Kesler
3rd round pick
To Canucks:
Drew Doughty
Mike Richards
Jarett Stoll
Jonathan Bernier

·
Registered
5 Posts
SabresFan 101,

Carolina would have to add Jeff Skinner and 1st round picks for the next hundred years for this deal to go through. The Pens GM would be run out of town and then murdered when he tried to escape to Mexico if he accepted this trade.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
To :tor:

Mike Richards
Jarret Stoll

To :la:

Keith Aulie
Nazem Kadri
Tim Connolly/Mikhail Grabovski
1st Round Pick

(idk if this is really fair value or not)

To :tor:

Brayden Schenn
Wayne Simmonds

To :phi:

Nazem Kadri
Korbinian Holzner
Keith Aulie/Carl Gunnarson

idk if that's fair value either?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quick little trades that I think would put Phoenix in a great playoff position as well as not destroy them for the future. Might be a bit under or over paid for either but I don't think either is a bad deal for each team.

To EDM:
Daymond Langkow
Brandon Ghormley

To Phoenix:
Ales Hemsky

Edmonton doesn't look like it will make the playoffs, they will gain a great young defenseman and still have a vet center to work with their younger core while Phoenix will add another winger with playoff experience. Would have to get Langkow to waive his NMC.

To CAR:
2012 2nd (Phoenix)
2012 2nd (Ottawa)
Nathan Ostrick
Colin Long

To PHX:
Tuomo Ruutu

Carolina gets some higher picks and what could be 2 decent players though Ostrick is less likely to make an NHL roster. Phoenix gets another goal scorer and someone who can play a lot of different roles for the team.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts