Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the offseason isn't over and the final roster isn't ready yet, but what else is there to talk about.

Here is Tim Panaccio's thoughts on the lines and defensive pairings:
this is regular season:
Zherdev-Richards-Carter
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Carcillo-Giroux-JVR
Shelley-Betts-Laperriere
(Powe) 13 forwards

Carle-Pronger
Meszaros-Timonen
O’Donnell-Coburn
(Walker, Bartulis) 8 defensemen

Leighton/Backlund 2 goalies

With Boucher still on a contract, I'm not sure if he'll be sent to the Phantoms. I like keeping Briere, Hartnell, and Leino together after how well they did in the playoffs. Interesting to see Carter on the wing. That should be a nasty first line.

Also, what happens if Pronger isn't ready to go for the start of the season with his knee rehab?

These are all players that were on the roster last year, except for the new additions. Who has the best shot at making the roster from the Phantoms?

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
I know the offseason isn't over and the final roster isn't ready yet, but what else is there to talk about.

this is regular season:
Zherdev-Richards-Carter
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Carcillo-Giroux-JVR
Shelley-Betts-Laperriere
(Powe) 13 forwards

Carle-Pronger
Meszaros-Timonen
O’Donnell-Coburn

With Boucher still on a contract, I'm not sure if he'll be sent to the Phantoms. I like keeping Briere, Hartnell, and Leino together after how well they did in the playoffs. Interesting to see Carter on the wing. That should be a nasty first line.

Also, what happens if Pronger isn't ready to go for the start of the season with his knee rehab?

These are all players that were on the roster last year, except for the new additions. Who has the best shot at making the roster from the Phantoms?
First off I agree with Briere at Center. He was way more effective there. Not a fan of Carter on the wing though. The best thing for the Flyers would be a Carter+ for Ryan trade and let Bobby patrol the RW for the next decade. THe plus would be only a 2nd or 3rd maybe Nodl, I would think.

I would switch JVR and Leino. Regardless of a hot playoffs for Leino, JVR is the one who belongs on the 2nd line.

Other than that Philly is stacked. They would have been Champs already if not for the fact Chicago was stacked last year. We have seen the results of that stacking this offseason and I have to point out that Philly is almost in the same boat when Giroux and JVR come looking for new deals.

I am picking Philly to win the Presidents trophy, and make the finals. This team is incredible. THe issues in the locker room that hurt them last year are resolved. All the young players are better players just for what they went through last year.

IF Philly had a goalie with a better pedigree, they would be the defacto cup favorites. I think Turco made the wrong choice. Not that he will necessarily play any better than Leighton in April, May and June.

Great Team. Best in the East on Paper. You Lucky Bastards! :cry:laugh::bt:beer

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If Leighton can play as well as he did most of the year, the team does fine. If he's as average as he was during the SCF, this team is in trouble. They'll win some games based on that offense and having a very solid defense, but they'll also have some games where they give up 4+ goals.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts

this is regular season:
Zherdev-Richards-Carter
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Carcillo-Giroux-JVR
Shelley-Betts-Laperriere
(Powe) 13 forwards

Carle-Pronger
Meszaros-Timonen
O’Donnell-Coburn

The lines look very solid, but I've read that Carter doesn't want to play wing so I'm curious to see if he will be there at the start of the season. Obviously it would be huge to have Pronger at the start of the season, but if they need to go a little bit without him I would like these lines..

Carle-Timonen
Meszaros-Coburn
O'Donnell-Bartulis

Still a good defensive group and if the offense plays like they are predicted too then missing Pronger shouldn't hurt as bad as some would think.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd take him. I'd take him over Powe, Carcillo, Shelley, etc...

His 45 points last year would have put him 6th on the team in scoring. I think he'd be a great guy to have on the third line.

Read this on ESPN: "Guerin said that Pens GM Ray Shero informed him that his skills are no longer needed by text message." - that's just plain sh*tty and gutless by the GM, especially after Guerin took a pay cut to stay in Pittsburgh last year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I honestly think that Zherdev should be on a line with either briere or giroux, we honestly have to much depth in center giroux needs more time, but briere also tore it up in playoffs at center. carter needs to stay on wing with richards

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Once again, what the hell was with the Shelley signing? I do not understand it at all. Does Holmgren see Lappy and Betts not being able to stay healthy all season and this was his replacement? Even if that's the case, it is still a horrible contract. I actually liked what I saw from Nodl in his stint in the playoffs and wouldn't of minded seeing him on the 4th line.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If they are able to figure it out our top 9 would be nasty...

Richards, Carter, Zherdev, Briere, Leino, Hartnell, Giroux, JVR, and Guerin. Sounds like an offense that would be a lot of fun to watch.
An offense like that could put up numbers like Washington did last year.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts