Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 673 Posts

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Final roster set, some new faces, a couple gone, Game 1 of the season starts tonight in Pittsburgh...

Bobrovsky gets the start tonight to open the season against the Pens.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6.5 hours until puck drop. Can't wait. The Bob era starts tonight.
I'm hoping he plays awesome, not just for the win, but so that he earns the opportunity to stay with the big club. If he's ready, he's ready and he should play.

It's been a long time since the Flyers have had a legit performer in the crease. I think with all the gaffes, from Hackett and others, it's hard to be optimistic about Flyers goaltending. I'm hoping he isn't another Roman Cechmanek.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Flyers start the season with Leighton and Lappy on IR.
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2010/10/06/15607921.html

EDIT: some info on lineup ins/outs for tonight for both teams:
In other news regarding tonight's opener in Pittsburgh, Chris Pronger (knee) remains a game-time decision. However, there are reports surfacing that he is out. Oskars Bartulis will be in the lineup, while Matt Walker will take a seat in the press box.

For the Penguins, former Flyer Arron Asham has been placed on injured reserve with a shoulder injury, meaning there's no chance for a fight with his former mates. Defenseman Kris Letang is a game-time decision due to an illness.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/485074-peter-laviolette-names-sergei-bobrovsky-starting-goalie-for-season-opener

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
I'm not sure how I feel about Bobrovsky starting. This could end up pretty bad. Boucher's confidence has to be copmletely shot and if Bobrovsky doesn't play that well, very possible considering his first real NHL game will be against Crosby, Malkin and comp. without Pronger, than we have a bit of a problem. I sure hope he is ready because he is going to need to be, not only is this an opening night rival, but in the Pens new building. Gutsy call, all we can do now is wait and see....

LET'S GO FLYERS!

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure how I feel about Bobrovsky starting. This could end up pretty bad. Boucher's confidence has to be copmletely shot and if Bobrovsky doesn't play that well, very possible considering his first real NHL game will be against Crosby, Malkin and comp. without Pronger, than we have a bit of a problem. I sure hope he is ready because he is going to need to be, not only is this an opening night rival, but in the Pens new building. Gutsy call, all we can do now is wait and see....

LET'S GO FLYERS!
I trust Lavy. We'll see.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob looks good and the Flyers score the first goal in the Pens' new arena on the PP. Beauty of a deflection by Briere.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Solid game, Giroux's goal was filthy and Bobrovsky looked solid. It will be even better when we get Pronger back. I would of liked to notice Carter and Richards out there a little more. Otherwise, way to steal the first game in the Pens new arena Flyers. :beer:cheeky4:

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Great game for Bob and Giroux. They looked okay, but I think it came down to the goaltending in this one. Great way to start of the season!

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great game for Bob and Giroux. They looked okay, but I think it came down to the goaltending in this one. Great way to start of the season!
The only thing we didn't have in that game was fight. Goaltending was unreal.

I think it was very evenly played game. I talked with buddies about special teams being key to this game...Flyers had a better PP% and potted a shorthanded. I expect all the games this year between these two teams will be pretty awesome to see.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Way to go Bob, getting your 1st win in your 1st NHL win tonight. And ruining the open of the Pens arena is the icing on the cake. Need to come out stronger though. Very sloppy for a good portion of the game.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Anyone have thoughts on 'What Happens' when Leighton comes back?

CJ
EbingersPlace.com
I guess it really depends on how Boucher and Bobrovsky play while Leighton is hurt. So far both have looked pretty sharp.

The game last night was just very blah. Way too many penalties and the Flyers couldn't sustain much offensive pressure at all. The PK looked good and the PP needs Pronger back. Still waiting to see Richards and Carter show that they want to play...

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm heading to the game tonight for the home opener. It should be a good with with the Eastern Conference Champs banner being raised. I'm hoping to see Bob play.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
I'm heading to the game tonight for the home opener. It should be a good with with the Eastern Conference Champs banner being raised. I'm hoping to see Bob play.
Bob has the nod in goal tonight. I think he will be with the team if he keeps doing well. He'll force the Flyers to keep him on the roster and probably waive Boosh. The kid is very confident and technically sound from what I've seen so far.

1 - 20 of 673 Posts