Hockey Fan Forums banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I've been saying it all year, the KHL is a serious threat.

IF they can ever get some of the elite European teams to join they will become a league equal to the NHL.

This kid is going to slide like Cherepanov, RIP. He is going to be a mid to late round steal for some team who is willing to wait for him, or take the chance he might never, decide to come over to play.
What does Kabanov have to do with the KHL?

His problems here are an extension of his problems there. He did the exact same stuff in Moscow as he did in Moncton. He burned bridges back home. Kabanov is an example of individual's attitude and character problems, not a threat from another league.

If you want an example of the threat of the KHL, look at Tarasenko, the best Russian skater available this year (yes, he's better than Kabanov).

if he falls to Washington, which some people say he will, I think we could get him to come over here. It might make Semin want to say and even if it doesn't, Kabanov is capable of replacing Semin and I'm sure if there is one player he'd like to play with in the NHL it's Ovechkin. Not to mention Kugreshev has some potential in the Caps system. So he could fit in well in Washington.
I highly doubt he'll fall to where the Capitals are picking.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts

His problems here are an extension of his problems there. He did the exact same stuff in Moscow as he did in Moncton. He burned bridges back home. Kabanov is an example of individual's attitude and character problems, not a threat from another league.

If you want an example of the threat of the KHL, look at Tarasenko, the best Russian skater available this year (yes, he's better than Kabanov).

I've already seen multiple mock drafts that have him going to the Caps. Now in my personal mock draft I don't have him falling as far as Washington, and obviously as soon as you get by about the 6th pick, mock drafts can pretty much be thrown out the window because your not in the head of all those GM's. But I wouldn't say it's not a possibility.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts

IT is his character which will have him not wanting to play in the best league against the best players. Play in a more skilled, less physical league than the AHL at NHL salaries. All while staying closer to home. After seeing what the Russian coach put up with in the Olympics, a guy with an attitude problem is going to be much happier in that system.

The KHL means that these guys who have had to stay over here to earn the big paychecks don't haveto anymore. So instead of Kabanov getting a rerality check and an attitude adjustment, he can just go home and do his thing.

Ya I was reading the THN draft preview, and saw that Tarasenko is very highly thought of. You think he might just stay in Russia?

I guess he thinks the Caps will choke in the first round. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
I've already seen multiple mock drafts that have him going to the Caps. Now in my personal mock draft I don't have him falling as far as Washington, and obviously as soon as you get by about the 6th pick, mock drafts can pretty much be thrown out the window because your not in the head of all those GM's. But I wouldn't say it's not a possibility.
What # was Washington picking?

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
What # was Washington picking?
30, I assume. Most mock drafts go by regular season standing at that time.

Tarasenko is going to be affected by the KHL factor more than any other player this draft. Unbelievably talented, but he hasn't made any sort of concrete commitment to come over. He's got another two years on his KHL contract and said he's going to finish them before entertaining moving to the NHL. He's there for another two years at minimum.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
The same guys do it each year. They got the top three last year, but after that it was a total crapshoot. They're writers, not scouts.
I understand who they are. But if you had scout's do it, it would be a crap shoot too. It all comes down to what GM's want to do, and with the problems Kabanov has had, he could slip to Washington, I wouldn't count on it, but I also wouldn't be shocked if it happened.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think Connolly will go 5th overall.

Not too many times can you watch a top 5 or top ten player in junior but luckily I get to watch him at least half the season and some of the goals he has scored are incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRi6UwZSbz8

With the first goal it's hard to tell but he scored with only one hand on the stick and he flipped it just over the goalie's pads.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm pretty sure GMs are wary of Connolly's hip injury.
Too be perfectly honest I am not sure if his injury was as bad as it appeared. The Cougars sucked big time this year and I am sure they (him and his reps) didn't want to risk him getting hurt especially in his draft year. He got hurt, then miraculously came back to play in a tournament, played a few more games for the Cougars and then got hurt again.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Now Kabanov is kicked off of the U18 team for wearing a white helmet instead of a red one, and for eating nuts out of a jar on the coaches desk. And messiness. And breaking curfew. And breaking the team's alcohol rules.

He also wants to return to Moncton to play for the Wildcats. This is starting to get ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
If anyone is interested, and wants to take a look, my draft board 1-50 is complete in my blog. And even though central scouting changed there number 1 to Seguin, I still think Hall should be the first pick.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
It will probably be that Taylor Hall.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
The bigger question is who goes #3??
That is a very good question. I personally would go with Fowler, but it could be Gudbranson, or Gormley as well, maybe even a guy like Connolly could fall in there.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts