Hockey Fan Forums banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I thought I read he was at a bit more, but still, for a 17 year old 19 points in 20 games in finnish top league I think it's pretty good. Also, he's 17 turning 18, so he may still grow a bit more. Maybe it'd be better for him to make it to the 2011 draft with more choices, but dunno.
He won't make it to the 2011 draft, someone will pick him, his hockey sense and talent level are just too much to ignore. And of course he could grow still, Patrick Kane was drafted around 5'9" and he grew to be around 5'11".

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Here's my top 5 thoughts?

1.Hall
2.Fowler
3.Seguin
4.Kabanov
5.Gormley

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
I'd switch Connolly in there for Kabanov. I think he's going to drop, because of the injury, and the Russian factor.
I've got Connolly 6th, I'm hoping Kabanov can heal up from that wrist injury. but I wouldn't disagree with putting Connolly ahead of him

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3965249

The Moncton wildcats have confirmed that Kirill Kabonov has been given medical clearance to join the active roster.

Kabanov has been recovering from wrist surgery. Kabanov was evaluated earlier this week and following his participation in practice today the green light has been given for the Russian forward to be in the line-up when the Wildcats host the Rimouski Oceanic on Friday night at 7pm at the Moncton Coliseum.
Finally.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Kabanov had a goal tonight in his return to Moncton in there 8-0 beating of Rimouski

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Thank god! It's been long enough. He'll have to play very good to improve his draft stock. I think he know's he won't be mentioned as high as 2nd again, but he could get his way back into the top 5 if he plays good
I don't see him making it back into the top five. He's got a lot of things working against him now, and wrist injuries always seem to take a long time to get back up to speed.

Lecavalier, for example, didn't start looking like he had prior to the same surgery until late December this year.

It'll be interesting to see how Kabanov recovers though.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
I don't see him making it back into the top five. He's got a lot of things working against him now, and wrist injuries always seem to take a long time to get back up to speed.

Lecavalier, for example, didn't start looking like he had prior to the same surgery until late December this year.

It'll be interesting to see how Kabanov recovers though.
Yeah, you're right top 5 might be a little bit of a stretch. I think if he recovers well he should have no problem getting himself into the NHL quick though.

I just feel he's a top 5 talent, and if he starts playing like he did before the wrist injury in my mind he could go top 5. But I can see where that scares a lot of GM's. So it will be interesting to see where he falls in the draft

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
He's definitely a top five player in this draft in terms of raw talent and I'd put him fourth, right behind Seguin. The reported attitude problems and injury are concerns for any organization drafting him and political factors just make things worse.

Kulikov is probably the closest comparison to the situation, but without attitude problems. The talent was there, but a knee injury and the Russian factor made him from 6 or 7 spots. Honestly, I would have taken him before any defenseman not named Hedman or Ekman-Larsson in that draft.

Jared Cowen dropped 5 spots last season due to a knee injury.

I don't think that Kabanov falls past the middle of the first round like Cherepanov did, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in that 8 to 12 spot.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
I actually have him 4th right after Seguin as well. I didn't know he had attitude problems. I heard him and Gormley got along well at the start of the season, but then again that's only one player, and it's during the honeymoon faze.

The russian factor is always a concern but if he can stay in north america, and stay healthy i think he could be an 80+ point producer by the time he hits his prime. And I agree, he probably will end up in that 8-12 slot, or maybe a little north or south of that, depending on what certain teams see in him.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
It seems that the layoff really hurt his skating and he'll have to work to get back up to speed, and given how it's looked, I'm not sure he can get it back up to where it was pre-injury before the end of the season.

The weakness in skating is definitely demonstrated by the penalties he's been taking. In his first game back, he had 2 minutes for interference and 2 for holding. In the game tonight, he had 6 penalty minutes for similar calls. Since his skating isn't up to what it was before, he's doing quite a bit of clutching and grabbing.

Of course, it's a very correctable flaw, but due to the injury, some teams might not have been able to scout him before and might base their organization's draft rankings off of what they're seeing now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Atlanta (currently 7th) draft him.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
VICE™;579479 said:
It seems that the layoff really hurt his skating and he'll have to work to get back up to speed, and given how it's looked, I'm not sure he can get it back up to where it was pre-injury before the end of the season.

The weakness in skating is definitely demonstrated by the penalties he's been taking. In his first game back, he had 2 minutes for interference and 2 for holding. In the game tonight, he had 6 penalty minutes for similar calls. Since his skating isn't up to what it was before, he's doing quite a bit of clutching and grabbing.

Of course, it's a very correctable flaw, but due to the injury, some teams might not have been able to scout him before and might base their organization's draft rankings off of what they're seeing now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Atlanta (currently 7th) draft him.
Yeah, i was wondering what the hell was going on when I saw all the PIMS he was taking in these first two games back, but now that I know that, it makes perfect sense.

You're right, very fixable problem, but he could be overlooked by some scouts.

And Atlanta would be a great fit for him. He'll be with country men Antropov (Kazik but close enough:y) and Afinogenov. And the fans there are going to want someone to replace Kovalchuk so he would fit into that mold if he works hard and continues to build and his skills and also weaknesses.

And another goal for Kabu tonight. So it looks like the wrist isn't effecting him too much

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Kabanov was benched in the second and didn't come back on the ice in the third in his game.

Looks like his draft stock is going to keep dropping. Injury concerns, attitude issues, his father being a "Lindros" parent and the Russian factor.
It's such a shame. The kid has so much talent, I had him 4th on my draft board. Obviously higher than most people, but I still thought he would be a steal there. But the way things are going I think he will drop out of the top 15

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Now he's left the Wildcats in the playoff run, to play for Russia at the U18s in Belarus. Three weeks early.

Completely lost year of development for Kabanov. Injury, and now this.

Looking more and more like a case of an incredibly talented player, that happens to be an undisciplined locker room cancer who has the ability to bolt to the KHL at a moment's notice.

:y

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Now he's left the Wildcats in the playoff run, to play for Russia at the U18s in Belarus. Three weeks early.

Completely lost year of development for Kabanov. Injury, and now this.

Looking more and more like a case of an incredibly talented player, that happens to be an undisciplined locker room cancer who has the ability to bolt to the KHL at a moment's notice.

:y
wow, just wow. That's really all you can say. Looks like we have another Lindros/Radulov on our hands

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
I've been saying it all year, the KHL is a serious threat.

IF they can ever get some of the elite European teams to join they will become a league equal to the NHL.

This kid is going to slide like Cherepanov, RIP. He is going to be a mid to late round steal for some team who is willing to wait for him, or take the chance he might never, decide to come over to play.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
I've been saying it all year, the KHL is a serious threat.

IF they can ever get some of the elite European teams to join they will become a league equal to the NHL.

This kid is going to slide like Cherepanov, RIP. He is going to be a mid to late round steal for some team who is willing to wait for him, or take the chance he might never, decide to come over to play.
if he falls to Washington, which some people say he will, I think we could get him to come over here. It might make Semin want to say and even if it doesn't, Kabanov is capable of replacing Semin and I'm sure if there is one player he'd like to play with in the NHL it's Ovechkin. Not to mention Kugreshev has some potential in the Caps system. So he could fit in well in Washington.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts