Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think there is a 95% chance they take Tavares but they will have some good offers to consider from people like Burk who already said he is gunning for Tavares.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think there is a 95% chance they take Tavares but they will have some good offers to consider from people like Burk who already said he is gunning for Tavares.
Burk will try to package his washed up talent with picks. That isn't going to land him Tavares. Tavares could end up being a Crosby type player, someone you do not pass on.

I'd consider trading Hedman for sure, but Tavares? Not unless it was a ridiculous deal.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Burk will try to package his washed up talent with picks. That isn't going to land him Tavares. Tavares could end up being a Crosby type player, someone you do not pass on.

I'd consider trading Hedman for sure, but Tavares? Not unless it was a ridiculous deal.
The talent Burke would be offering would be far from washed up. Luke Schenn would be front and center of any deal the Isle's would want. Tlusty would probably be #2 on the list of demands. Another 1st on top of the Leafs 09 pick and likely one of Kaberle or Kubina.

Far too much for the Leafs to be giving up to get a guy who in most opinions is not even a sure fire franchise player let alone a Crosby or Malkin.

7th overall is not a bad pick. Not a bluechip pick by anymeans but there will still be great talent available. I would like to see Burke trade down a pick or 5 and pick up some additional prospects or future picks.

Someone needs to take a bat and knock the stupid idea of the Leafs being a playoff team next season out of Burke's head. That kind of idiocy is what landed the Leafs in this mess in the first place.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The talent Burke would be offering would be far from washed up. Luke Schenn would be front and center of any deal the Isle's would want. Tlusty would probably be #2 on the list of demands. Another 1st on top of the Leafs 09 pick and likely one of Kaberle or Kubina.

Far too much for the Leafs to be giving up to get a guy who in most opinions is not even a sure fire franchise player let alone a Crosby or Malkin.

7th overall is not a bad pick. Not a bluechip pick by anymeans but there will still be great talent available. I would like to see Burke trade down a pick or 5 and pick up some additional prospects or future picks.

Someone needs to take a bat and knock the stupid idea of the Leafs being a playoff team next season out of Burke's head. That kind of idiocy is what landed the Leafs in this mess in the first place.
I don't know if Tlusty has a huge value, but Schenn obviously does. For the Leafs trading any of their top young talent shouldn't be an option. I agree that they should start the rebuild, pretending they can be a contender next season is delusional and won't help the franchise.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
I don't know if Tlusty has a huge value, but Schenn obviously does. For the Leafs trading any of their top young talent shouldn't be an option. I agree that they should start the rebuild, pretending they can be a contender next season is delusional and won't help the franchise.
Tlusty tore it up in the AHL after a slow start. Still he is never going to be what Tavares may develop into. Regardless tho Burke should not be trading away any young assests that have 1st line potential like Tlusty has. We already have a team and farm team full of guys who are at best 2nd line players but most likely will be 3rd liners.

Suck it up Burke, take your #7 pick and do what you can with it.

We have Williams in the AHL who can do nothing else but put pucks in the net, but his overall game has "holes in it". Is this franchise going to ruin him or give up on him like they have done with so many other young talents just for the sake of making the post season? I sure as hell hope not.

I am starting to not like what I hear coming from Burke these days.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree Burke shouldn't go for Tavares, but he probably will give it his all. Just thinking now, any good prospects for ninth ? Just wondering what the sens options will be

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
I agree Burke shouldn't go for Tavares, but he probably will give it his all. Just thinking now, any good prospects for ninth ? Just wondering what the sens options will be
Getzlaf, Carter, Richards, Perry, Kopitar, Stastny, Green, Semin were all taken outside of the top 10 in the last few years. So I would think that at 9 there should be quite a few gems left. The problem is you don't know if you've got a diamond until it is a little more polished.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Getzlaf, Carter, Richards, Perry, Kopitar, Stastny, Green, Semin were all taken outside of the top 10 in the last few years. So I would think that at 9 there should be quite a few gems left. The problem is you don't know if you've got a diamond until it is a little more polished.
Any smart team should just break into the Red Wings scouting office and steal all their ideas for late player picks.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Any smart team should just break into the Red Wings scouting office and steal all their ideas for late player picks.
Just ignore who they have in the first 2 rounds and then draft everyone they have after.

Their 1st and 2nd round picks aren't all that great(I am sure it has something to do with drafting betwen 27 and 30th) but from the 3rd round on there is no better franchise.

If I were Burke I would offer everyone in the Wings development and scouting program a 100% raise to come help rebuild. Unfortunately for the Leafs, the way things go in Detroit the staff would likely all stay in motor city for only a 10% increase in pay.

What I want is the recipe for the kool-aid they serve in Detroit that makes players give up 1M+ dollars a years to stay. EDM is the same as TOR where we have to pay 1M+ more than what players are worth to get them to come.

Here's a question for you Rstar, Burke has said just because a player has a contract for next year it doesn't mean he has a roster spot and that he may get bought out or sent to the minors. Now MLSE can afford to send Blake and his 4M salary to the Marlies but can EDM afford to do the same with a guy like Penner?

Getting his 4.25 off the cap would go a long way towards getting a Bouwmeester or, in another year, Kovalchuk. Kovy and Hemmer would be absolutly sick together. Kovy had about the quietest 90pt season I have seen. He is totally wasted in a crappy market like ATL, and deserves to be in a city that can appreciate him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts