1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
December 4, 2009

UBC STAY ALIVE

CALGARY DINOSAURS 2
UBC THUNDERBIRDS 5

|> [LEAGUESTAT SUMMARY] ~ [SCORER'S SHEET] ~ [C.W. STORY] ~ [CITR.CA]
|> [CIS SUMMARY] ~ [UBC STORY] ~ [U OF C STORY]

This was a must win for UBC. The 4th place Dinos were 9 points ahead with 14 games left. The Tweety-Birds had problems with d-men. They only had 5 healthy bodies to start and then suffered an injury to one more in the first period. The 13th forward took some shifts and they patched up as best they could. Then their 2nd line provided the offence and they claimed a solid victory.

Calgary's starting goaltender (Jeff Weber) was yanked in the 1st period after giving up the third goal. Both these teams have been juggling goaltenders lately after seemingly resolved goaltending early in the year. Francois Thuot did not dress for UBC and Dustin Butler was Calgary's backup.

One must hope that the CIS site will have consistent summaries from here on in. I provided the link. I had stopped posting those because they were not always available and even when available were not always complete.

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 2
LAKEHEAD THUNDERWOLVES 5

|> [L.U. STORY] ~ [STAR PHOENIX STORY] ~ [TB NEWSWATCH STORY WITH SUMMARY]

This was a non-conference game for both sides. Since the nationals are in Thunder Bay this year, Lakehead qualify as hosts. So they need some stiff competition and looked to Canada West. Both sides were missing some players for exams and injury. Lakehead also has some second half recruits who will debut against Manitoba after Christmas. There was a bit of a rumble, which led to some suspensions. The links have the story, TB Newswatch being the best.

REGINA COUGARS -
BRIERCREST CLIPPERS -

|> [U OF R SITE] ~ [BRIERCREST SITE]

Neither team's website has any score nor other information on this non-conference game.

NEXT UP:

Dec 5 Calgary @ UBC
Dec 5 Saskatchewan @ Lakehead *
Dec 28 McGill @ Alberta *
Dec 29 Manitoba @ Lakehead *
Dec 29 McGill @ Alberta *
Dec 30 Manitoba @ Lakehead *
Jan 2-4 Calgary @ TBD (SAIT tournament) *
* indicates non-conference games

BOOKMARKS:

~ ~ ~
[SCHEDULE & RESULTS PAGE] ~ [LEAGUESTAT PAGE]

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
WEEKEND LINKS

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 4
LAKEHEAD THUNDERWOLVES 3

(in a shoot-out)
|> [L.U. STORY] ~ [TB NEWSWATCH STORY WITH SUMMARY]

The TB Newswatch link is new, and it includes a game summary at the bottom.

REGINA COUGARS 5
BRIERCREST CLIPPERS 2

|> [CISBLOG.CA]

This week's CW round-up at CISBlog.ca is the only soutce for even a score on this one. Briercrest is from the ACAC and are last in the conference. A loss to them would have really destroyed the puddy-tats confidence.

The CIS site has been hit-and-miss but has posted a summary of the UBC-Calgary game from Saturday night [HERE]. Here's hoping the site gets regular updates and game stories like it had last year.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
hollywood said:
I have double-checked the CIS standings and compared it to the individual records for each team and there are three discrepancies. These are the links and the record of each team as listed in the official standings. Each of these three teams may have an OTL which is recorded as a regulation time loss on the CIS team standings/results pages.

[CIS STANDINGS - pdf]

Lakehead 11-3-2 [SCHEDULE/RESULTS] - only OTL was vs UOIT.

Guelph 6-9-2 [SCHEDULE/RESULTS] - only OTL was vs Laurier.

Dalhousie 3-8-3 [SCHEDULE/RESULTS] - two OTLs vs St. Mary's and St. Thomas.
OK, I double-checked the CIS game results by comparing to conference scores and it turns out that Guelph's loss to York was an OTL, Lakehead's loss to RMC was an OTL, and Dalhousie has two (not just one) OT: t St. Mary's.

The OHT34 is being updated with those corrections.

In other news, The Banjodogs and Banjocats will team up to play the Team Canada Juniors on December 15th. Then on December 22nd the Banjodogs will face Team Slovakia. The Sask press release is [HERE]. And the CISblogs story is [HERE].

Also, the schedule for the SAIT tournament has been released:

Jan 2 Calgary v Lethbridge, 2:00 PM
Jan 2 Regina v SAIT, 6:00 PM
Jan 3 Lethbridge v Regina, 2:00 PM
Jan 3 Calgary v SAIT, 6:00 PM

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
World Junior Exhibition

CATS AND DOGS COMBINE TO NIP JUNIOR NATS

CIS HUSKY-COUGARS 4
TEAM CANADA 2

|> CP STORY [@ HC] ~ [@ TSN.CA] ~ [@ SLAM!] ~ [@ GOOGLE]
|> [FACEOFF.COM/CANADA.COM STORY] ~ [NEWSTALK 650 STORY]
|> [NATIONAL POST STORY] ~ [CISBLOG.CA STORY]

The CIS side was comprised of 10 Saskatchewan Huskies, 10 Regina Cougars, and spare goaltenders from the Team Canada camp. In recent years, the Manitoba Bisons split a pair of such games and a Calgary-Lethbridge combined side won 5-4 ([CW STORY] and [CIS STORY]).

It is hard to know what to call these combined sides. So I called them the Husky Cougars. But that prompted an ugly image.

That's enough to scare any young man.

For those of you wondering whether to attend a Bison game (or another CIS game if you live outside Manitoba), just bear in mind that a team of some of the best players in Major Junior has a tough time beating the #4 and #7 teams in Canada West. Actually, I wonder if a complete team like the Evil Monkeys or the Bisons would have done better.

The Saskatchewan Huskies (on their own) will play Team Slovakia in another pre-tournament game.

The holiday season will also see Manitoba at Lakehead for two games (December 29-30), McGill is at Alberta for two games (December 28-29), and Calgary Lethbridge, Regina, and SAIT (ACAC) will play a toiurnament in Calgary.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
MORE AFTERMATH ...

CP STORY: [CIS] ~ [U OF S]

FAN COMMENTS: [TSN.CA] ~ [CISBLOG.CA] - It is interesting to see how fans across the country view the result.

LEADER-POST: [Team Canada's head coach Willie Desjardins has 'tough decisions' to make] - The home town paper had little to say about the game:
The national team's brass is slated to unveil its 22-man roster this morning for the 2010 world junior hockey championship in Saskatchewan. That means eight players will be cut from the group that was trying to make a final impression during Tuesday's exhibition contest against a team of Saskatchewan university all-stars, who skated to a 4-2 win over Canada before 3,329 fans at the Brandt Centre.

"To tell you the truth I wanted to win," lamented Canadian head coach Willie Desjardins, whose team outshot the CIS squad 39-23. "I didn't want the score that way but I did get the game I wanted. They're a real good team and they made us play hard. There will be stuff on the video that we'll see that can make us better."
TSN: [VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS]

MONTREAL GAZETTE: [Selects came to play]

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Banjodogs whip Slovakia

BANJODOGS HOWL AFTER WIN OVER SLOVAKS

TEAM SLOVAKIA 2
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 6

|> [C.W. STORY] ~ [U OF S STORY] ~ [2010 JUNIORS BLOG] ~ [S.P. PREVIEW]
|> [S.P. STORY ON SLOVKIA-AUSTRIA]

The Huskies chalked up another win for CIS teams over world junior competition with this decisive victory. Andrew Vailey notched a hat-trick for the winners.

The Slovaks open against Team USA on Boxing Day. They would be hoping for another top-4 finish, like last year. They, too, are in Canada's pool.

Meanwhile, Sask has the bye when CW play resumes January 9-10, and then will play Regina home-and-home January 16-17.

Here are the other pre-WJC results:
Dec. 9 Russia U-18 10, Austria 5
Dec. 11 Austria 7, Russia U-18 5
Dec. 15 Sask/Regina (CIS) 4, Canada 2
Dec. 19 USA 4, North Dakota (NCAA) 2
Dec. 20 Canada 6, Sweden 2
Dec. 20 Slovakia 4, Austria 0
Dec. 21 Switzerland 5, Austria 2
Dec. 21 Latvia 3, Russia 2
Dec. 22 Czech Rep 3, USA 2
Dec. 22 Saskatchewan (CIS) 6, Slovakia 2
Dec. 22 Canada 3, Finland 0
Dec. 23 Canada v Czech Rep.
Dec. 23 Austria v Latvia
Dec. 23 Sweden v Switzerland

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Christmas Break Action

December 28, 2009

EVIL MONKEYS RALLY AGAINST MCGILLIGUTTIES

MCGILL REDMEN 4
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 5

|> [LEAGUESTAT SUMMARY] ~ [SCORER'S SHEET] ~ [U OF A PREVIEW] ~ [U OF A STORY]

The Bears came out of hibernation down 3 goals then rallied for a win. The two teams meet again December 29th in Edmontown. The Bears owed a series to McGill after getting their helping hand to win the 2008 national title. In round-robin play Alberta opened with a loss to Moncton then crushed McGill. McGill had to then beat Moncton to allow Alberta to advance on goal differential. They managed the upset and Alberta then edged UNB for the title. I hope the Evil Monkey gave the McGilligutiies passes to the finest buffets, quality hotel rooms, and Tiger Woods' little black book.

The U of A story adds that McGill will play at UBC on January 2nd and 3rd.

PREVIEW:
MANITOBA BISONS @
LAKEHEAD THUNDERWOLVES

DECEMBER 29TH AND 30TH @ THUNDER BAY
|> [L.U. PREVIEW] ~ [U OF M YEAR-IN-REVIEW]

The Bisons visit Lakehead most seasons. Last year Lakehead won 3-2 in overtime to reach the final of their tournament, which they won over Saskatchewan. The Bisons beat them the year before. This year they are having just a two game series instead of a 4 team tournament.

To order a webcast [CLICK HERE].

BOOKMARKS:

~ ~ ~

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
December 29, 2009

HERD DROPS OPENER IN T-BAY

MANITOBA BISONS 3
LAKEHEAD THUNDERWOLVES 6

|> [L.U. STORY]

I caught as much of the game I could on the LU webcast. It was low quality but at least one could see the game. The Bisons started slow and were glad to be down only 3-2 after the 1st. They did turn things around in the 2nd. However Lakehead scored the only goal on a penalty shot. The teams exchanged 3rd period goals before an empty-netter sealed it for the 'Wolves.

Howarth, Beller, and Hellyer scored for the Bisons. There are no roster links but it appears that the Bisons are trying to give everybody a game. (Which makes sense.)

The Lakehead site has stories about their three second-half recruits. This will make them a free-wheeling, high-scoring team. The Bisons don't suit that style at all. Hopefully, the series will give the Bisons some familiarity with Thunder Bay since they will be hosting the nationals this year. The Bisons would love nothing more than to make two trips to T-Bay this year.

Game two goes Wednesday night.

ELSEWHERE:

MCGILL REDMEN 5
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 6

(in overtime)
|> [LEAGUESTAT SUMMARY] ~ [SCORER'S SHEET] ~ [U OF A STORY]

As if the Evil Monkeys needed to pull another one out of the fire, they did it again. They scored in the last minute of OT to prevent a shoot-out. One has to think that McGill deserved a better fate over the series. They now face UBC over the weekend.

BOOKMARKS:

~ ~ ~

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
December 30, 2009

T-WOLVES SWEEP BISONS IN T-BAY

MANITOBA BISONS 2
LAKEHEAD THUNDERWOLVES 8

|> [U OF M STORY] ~ [L.U. SITE (currently down)] ~ [U-STREAM VIDEO]

The Bisons suffered a bad holiday season with this sweep. I guess it's fortunate that I was out and unable to watch this on the web. Jessie Deckert had a rough outing in goal, giving up 4 goals on 6 shots before getting the shoe. The Bisons rallied a bit and actually outshot Lakehead 35-34.

NEXT UP:

Non-conference games:
Jan 2nd Lethbridge @ Calgary
Jan 2nd Regina @ SAIT
Jan 2nd McGill @ UBC
Jan 3rd Lethbridge @ Regina
Jan 3rd Calgary @ SAIT
Jan 3rd McGill @ UBC

Conference games:
Jan 8th Calgary @ Alberta
Jan 8th Manitoba @ Lethbridge
Jan 8th Regina @ UBC
Jan 9th Alberta @ Calgary
Jan 9th Manitoba @ Lethbridge
Jan 9th Regina @ UBC

NEXT BISON HOME GAME:
UBC THUNDERBIRDS @ MANITOBA BISONS
January 15th and 16th ~ 7:00 pm ~ Max Bell

BOOKMARKS:

~ ~ ~

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
January 2, 2010

FOUR TEAMS PLAYING, THREE TEAMS RESTING

MCGILL REDMEN 6
UBC THUNDERBIRDS 4

|> [LEAGUESTAT SUMMARY ~ [SCORER'S SHEET] ~ [UBC PREVIEW]

I have been following on-line and UBC appears to have the soft goaltending problem. They came on to tie the game at 3-3 early in the 3rd and then gave up 2 more. Maybe check the [UBC Site] for an update when you read this.

CALGARY DINOSAURS 5
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 3

|> [SAIT SITE]

This was the opening game of a 4 team tournament hosted by SAIT. Their site has only the score posted.

SAIT TROJANS 7
REGINA COUGARS 5

|> [SAIT SITE]

This was the second opening game of the SAIT tournament. And their site has only the score posted even of their own games. I see that Regina have signed three players for the second half. [LINK] They are forwards Jared Jagow (AJHL/WHL/CHL) and Devon LeBlanc (WHL) and defenceman Kevin Falloon (Dauphin - MJHL).

On Sunday SAIT will face Calgary for the tournament title while Regina and Lethbridge face off for 3rd. For an exhibition game, the Calgary-SAIT game should be intense. Both teams would like to lay claim to the "best school team in Calgary" title. (Although the Mount Royal Cougars may have something to say about that.) And SAIT (from the ACAC) would love nothing more than to defeat two teams from the CIS in one weekend. 9SAIT and Mount Royal are tied for 1st in the ACAC.)

With conference play resuming next weekend, one has to wonder if Lethbridge, Regina, or UBC can rally to make a playoff push.

NEXT UP:

Non-conference games:
Jan 3rd Lethbridge @ Regina
Jan 3rd Calgary @ SAIT
Jan 3rd McGill @ UBC

Conference games:
Jan 8th Regina @ UBC
Jan 9th Regina @ UBC

NEXT BISON HOME GAME:

BOOKMARKS:

~ ~ ~

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
UBC Gets a Split

January 3, 2010

TWEETY-BIRDS RACK UP WIN AS BREAK ENDS

MCGILL REDMEN 2
UBC THUNDERBIRDS 3

|> [LEAGUESTAT SUMMARY] ~ [SCORER'S SHEET] ~ [C.W. STORY] ~ [UBC STORY]

Although it was a non-conference game, a win over an A-calibre team like the McGilligutties has to give the Tweety-Birds some confidence for the home stretch. AS on Friday night, UBC held an edge in shots (45-24). However they were down 2-1 until Brandon Campos scored twice in the last 9 minutes. Francois Thuot was back in goal for UBC. He had a good start (including his wins over the Bisons) and then tailed off. UBC plays Regina next week and then will be here to face the Herd.

REGINA COUGARS 0
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 3

|> [SAIT SITE]

This was the 3rd place game in the SAIT tournament Their site has only the score posted as I write. I have a hunch that the Horny Ones will be stiff competition for the Bisons next weekend. Their backs are to the wall and they need some home ice sweeps.

SAIT TROJANS 2
CALGARY DINOSAURS 5

|> [SAIT STORY]

This win gave Calgary the tournament title and bragging rights over their cross-town neighbour. The SAIT site has no game story or report as I write but I suspect that may have changed once you read this.

NEXT UP:

Jan 8th Regina @ UBC
Jan 9th Regina @ UBC

NEXT BISON HOME GAME:

BOOKMARKS:

~ ~ ~

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Weekend Preview

SERIES PREVIEW: BISONS OFF TO LETHBRIDGE TO START SECOND HALF

MANITOBA BISONS
(9-3-2, 20 points, 2nd place)
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS
(4-9-3, 11 points, tied for 5th place)

FRIDAY, JANUARY 8TH @ 8:00 CST
SATURDAY, JANUARY 9TH @ 8:00 CST
AT LETHBRIDGE

Well Christmas and New Year's are over now and so too are the exhibition hockey games. It is now back to the real thing as the Bisons travel to Lethbridge for a pair of games. The standings say it all. The Horny Ones need wins badly, especially on home ice. The Bisons are setting their sights on loftier goals, namely home ice advantage for the semi-final round and a berth in the nationals.

The Bisons are nicely situated in a 3-way fight for 2nd place with two games in hand on Sask and Calgary. However, their crappy weekend at Lakehead casts an element of doubt. I can only assume that they have been working hard all week in preparation for this series. It is hard to be lax at practice after such losses.

My thought is that Lethbridge will be tough on home ice. The Bisons should expect them to be at their best. They were robbed of a win over Alberta before the break and cannot be taken for granted.

The teams met in Winnipeg to start the season. The Bisons outshot the 'Horns severely both nights (39-25 and 40-22). Lethbridge is usually outshot and rely on good goaltending to steal points. However, this year they have surrendered 72 goals (most in the league), whilst the Bisons have only surrendered 33.

Of note, the 'Horns' Andrew Courtney has 13 goals in 15 games. Quite a stat!

On the out-of-town scoreboard, UBC and Regina are in the same boat as Lethbridge. Desperation rules for those two. I think a split would sink both. It is quite amazing that those 3 teams sunk whilst Manitoba and Calgary improved to contender status. Calgary's home-and-home series with the Evil Monkeys will be telling. Most expected Calgary to be in a fight with the lower 3 teams for 4th place. Alberta had some horsehoes to gain a sweep of McGill, who were then in tough against UBC. Their weekend series should tell us where those two are headed.

Here are the links you need: WEEKEND SCHEDULE:
  • Jan 8th Calgary @ Alberta
    Jan 8th Regina @ UBC
    Jan 9th Regina @ UBC
    bye: Saskatchewan
STANDINGS:
Code:
2009-10        G 	  W 	 L 	OL 	 F 	 A 	+/- 	Pt
Alberta        16 	14 	 1 	 1 	89 	40 	+49 	29
Manitoba       14 	 9 	 3 	 2 	45 	33 	+12 	20
Calgary        16 	 9 	 5 	 2 	50 	54 	 -4 	20
Saskatchewan   16 	 9 	 6 	 1 	63 	41 	+22 	19
Lethbridge     16 	 4 	 9 	 3 	44 	72 	-28 	11
UBC            16 	 5 	10 	 1 	40 	66 	-26 	11
Regina         14 	 4 	10 	 0 	26 	51 	-25 	 8
BOOKMARKS:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Saturday Morning Update

SATURDAY MORNING UPDATE

This morning I found that several links have been updated from Friday night's games. It took a while for them to uploaded from the various locations. Here are the links:

Manitoba @ Lethbridge:
|> [LEAGUESTAT SUMMARY] ~ [SCORER'S SHEET] ~ [CIS BOXSCORE]
|> [U OF L STORY] ~ [U OF M STORY] ~ [C.W. STORY] ~ [CIS STORY]

The Lethbridge story points out that the 'Horns added two new players for the second half of the season. Winston Day Chief from Alaska-Anchorage was stopped on a partial breakaway and Brian Matte from Prince George.

Calgary @ Alberta:
|> [LEAGUESTAT SUMMARY] ~ [SCORER'S SHEET]
|> [U OF A STORY] ~ [C.W. STORY]

The Alberta story was a basic recap with a good photo:

Regina @ UBC:
|> [LEAGUESTAT SUMMARY] ~ [SCORER'S SHEET] ~ [CITR ONLINE RADIO]
|> [UBC STORY]

The UBC story quoted the coach:
"We know what's at stake. We knew we had to win nine out of 12 games (to make the playoffs) and now we have to win nine out of 11," said Dragicevic. "The pressure is high and we didn't respond well tonight."
I think the math may be accurate, which is bad news for them.

I usually don't add much from out east but there some interesting match-ups, so here's the scores from the OUA and AUS:

Saint Mary's 4 @ Acadia 5
Dalhousie 5 @ StFX 2
St. Thomas 3 @ UNB 4
Moncton 2 @ UPEI 3
Ottawa 2 @ Carleton 4
Toronto 7 @ Queen's 3
Lakehead 2 @ Western 7
Nipissing 6 @ RMC 3
Guelph 5 @ UOIT 1
Laurier 4 @ Brock 2

UNB keeps rolling (which is not news). But the AUS weak-sisters all performed well, with Dalhousie knocking off St FX.

In Ontario Lakehead once again looks like dynamite at home and then get spanked on the road, this time by the Urban Cowboys.

When you check out all the scores it seems that teams were able to switch from holiday mode to season mode. UBC looked good against McGill then got spanked against Regina. Lakehead skunked Manitoba then got plastered by UWO, who lost to so-so Brock and Guelph teams in a holiday tournament. Manitoba couldn't check their way out oif a wet paper bag against Lakehead then shut-out Lethbridge. Hmmmm. Anyhow, I'll bne checking to see that Lakehead-UWO score in tonight's rematch.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
Splittsville Weekend

January 9, 2010

ROUGH SECOND PERIOD COSTS BISONS

MANITOBA BISONS 6
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 4

|> [U OF L STORY] ~ [U OF M STORY]

The Bisons gave up a remarkable 4 goals on 11 shots in the 2nd period, turning a 3-2 lead into a 6-3 deficit and were then unable to mount a comeback. The Bisons only dressed 19 players. I see that Riley Dudar played Friday but not Saturday. They may not have traveled with reserves. Nolan Waker, Blair Macaulay, and Mike Hellyer scored for the Bisons, the latter two on the PP.

The Bisons can't be too disappointed with the results. They are 1 point up on Calgary with 2 games in hand, and 3 points up on Sask.

ELSEWHERE:

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 4
CALGARY DINOSAURS 3

(in overtime)
|> [LEAGUESTAT SUMMARY] ~ [SCORER'S SHEET] ~ [CIS SUMMARY]
|> [U OF C STORY] ~ [U OF A STORY] ~ [C.W. STORY]

Alberta had this one well in hand, or so it seemed, with a 3-0 1st period lead. However, in the end they were forced to pull one out of the fire in overtime. The overtime must have been severely one-sided. The Evil Monkeys outshot them 10-0. Alberta now has an 11 point lead in the standings.

REGINA COUGARS 4
UBC THUNDERBIRDS 5

(in overtime)
|> [LEAGUESTAT SUMMARY] ~ [SCORER'S SHEET] ~ [CITR ONLINE RADIO]
|> [UBC STORY] ~ [C.W. STORY]

Regina rallied from a 4-0 deficit to force overtime before losing. The way the standings look this may be just a consolation win for the Tweety-Birds.

NEXT UP:

Jan 15 UBC @ Manitoba | 7:00 pm Max Bell UMFM radio
Jan 15 Calgary @ Lethbridge
Jan 16 UBC @ Manitoba | 7:00 pm Max Bell
Jan 16 Lethbridge @ Calgary
Jan 16 Saskatchewan @ Regina
Jan 17 Regina @ Saskatchewan
bye: Alberta

BOOKMARKS:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
OHT34 ~ January 11, 2010

OFFICIAL HOLLYWOOD TOP 34

January 11, 2010
Code:
                 ---------------------------------------------
                |   overall   |   A   |   B   |   C   | NC/TR*|
                |  W  L OL  P | W L O | W L O | W L O | W L O |
 ---------------|-------------|-------|-------|-------|-------|
|A+             |             |       |       |       |       |
| 1. UNB        | 17  0  0 34 | 6 0 0 | 8 0 0 | 3 0 0 | 6 0 0 |
| 2. Alberta    | 16  1  1 33 | 8 1 1 | 8 0 0 | 0 0 0 | 2 0 0 |
|A              |             |       |       |       |       |
| 3. W.Ontario  | 16  2  0 32 | 7 1 0 | 5 1 0 | 4 0 0 | 0 2 0 |
| 4. Manitoba   | 10  4  2 22 | 5 2 1 | 5 2 1 | 0 0 0 | 4 2 0 |
| 5. Waterloo   | 12  6  1 25 | 5 3 0 | 2 1 1 | 5 2 0 | 1 0 0 |
| 6. Acadia     | 12  3  1 25 | 4 3 1 | 4 0 0 | 4 0 0 | 0 1 0 |
| 7. Calgary    |  9  6  3 21 | 3 5 2 | 6 1 1 | 0 0 0 | 2 0 0 |
| 8. St.Mary's  | 10  3  4 24 | 2 3 3 | 3 0 1 | 5 0 0 | 1 0 0 |
| 9. Laurier    | 13  4  2 28 | 2 4 2 | 7 0 0 | 4 0 0 | 0 0 0 |
|10. Sask.      |  9  6  1 19 | 2 5 1 | 7 1 0 | 0 0 0 | 2 0 0 |
|11. McGill     | 14  2  0 28 | 1 1 0 | 2 1 0 |11 0 0 | 1 4 1 |
|12. UQTR       | 14  2  1 29 | 1 1 0 | 3 0 1 |10 1 0 | 1 1 0 |
|13. St.FX      |  8  6  3 19 | 3 3 2 | 3 0 1 | 2 3 0 | 2 0 0 |
|14. Lakehead   | 11  5  2 24 | 1 5 0 | 8 0 0 | 2 0 2 | 2 1 1 |
|---------------|-------------|-------|-------|-------|-------|
|B              |             |       |       |       |       |
|15. UPEI       |  7  8  2 16 | 2 6 2 | 2 2 0 | 3 0 0 | 1 0 0 |
|16. Brock      |  8 11  0 16 | 2 4 0 | 2 2 0 | 4 5 0 | 2 5 0 |
|17. Carleton   | 10  6  2 22 | 1 2 1 | 2 0 1 | 7 4 0 | 0 2 2 |
|18. UBC        |  6 11  1 13 | 3 7 0 | 3 4 1 | 0 0 0 | 1 1 0 |
|19. Lethbridge |  5 10  3 13 | 2 8 2 | 3 2 1 | 0 0 0 | 1 1 0 |
|B-             |             |       |       |       |       |
|20. York       |  9  8  1 17 | 1 7 1 | 4 0 0 | 4 1 0 | 0 0 0 |
|21. Regina     |  5 10  1 11 | 1 9 0 | 4 1 1 | 0 0 0 | 0 2 0 |
|23. St.Thomas  |  5  9  2 10 | 0 7 2 | 2 1 0 | 3 1 0 | 1 1 0 |
|22. Toronto    |  8  7  3 19 | 1 3 2 | 0 2 1 | 7 2 0 | 0 1 0 |
|24. Guelph     |  8  9  2 18 | 0 6 1 | 3 2 1 | 5 1 0 | 2 1 0 |
|---------------|-------------|-------|-------|-------|-------|
|C+             |             |       |       |       |       |
|25. Dalhousie  |  4  9  3 11 | 2 6 2 | 1 2 1 | 1 1 0 | 0 1 0 |
|26. Ryerson    |  7 10  2 16 | 0 3 1 | 3 1 0 | 4 6 1 | 0 0 0 |
|27. UOIT       |  6 11  1 13 | 2 5 0 | 2 5 0 | 2 1 1 | 0 0 0 |
|28. Windsor    |  7  8  3 17 | 1 4 1 | 2 3 1 | 4 1 1 | 0 0 0 |
|29. Queen's    | 10  8  1 21 | 0 4 0 | 1 2 0 | 9 2 1 | 0 0 0 |
|C              |             |       |       |       |       |
|30. Moncton    |  3 12  1  7 | 1 7 0 | 1 4 1 | 1 1 0 | 1 1 0 |
|31. Nipissing  |  7 10  1 15 | 0 5 0 | 1 5 0 | 6 0 1 | 0 1 0 |
|32. RMC        |  4 11  3 11 | 1 5 0 | 0 3 0 | 3 3 3 | 0 0 0 |
|33. Ottawa     |  4 14  1  9 | 0 4 0 | 2 4 0 | 2 6 1 | 0 0 0 |
|34. Concordia  |  4 12  0  8 | 1 4 0 | 0 3 0 | 3 5 0 | 0 0 0 |
 --------------- ------------- ------- ------- ------- -------
*NC/TR includes interlocking non-conference games and mid-season CIS tournament games

Here is the first OHT34 of the new year. I have added a column for non-conference and tournament games. Included there are the interlocking pre-season games and all the holiday break games and tournaments.

It is hard to know how much weight to give the non-conference games. Sask swept Lakehead. Lakehead swept Manitoba. The Evil Monkeys swept McGill, but appeared fortunate. Then UBC split with McGill and could easily have swept them. The Urban Cowboys, meanwhile, finish 3rd and last in a tournament against Brock and Guelph.

Then we resume regular season play and Regina walks into UBC and does as well as McGill. Then the Urban Cowboys crush Lakehead, twice.

In the end I downgraded McGill and UQTR a bit as part of a downgrade of the OUA East. The inter-conference records are telling. Whilst the results of individual games may be discounted, the overall records give one pause to think. The AUS is 9-1 against the OUA and the CW is 9-3 against the OUA.

Some may wonder why Sask is in my top 10. No, it is not because I have become a fan of banjo music. They are 2-5-1 against A-level teams, or 4-5-1 if you include Lakehead. They also combined with Regina to beat Team Canada and by themselves crushed Slovakia. While the latter two are not directly factored-in, they do contribute to the 'intangibles' and a general impression that their results progressed as the season progressed.

That said, any of the top 14 could easily find themselves at the nationals and, once there, would be contenders.

At the bottom end I have divided the B and C levels into equal numbers. This involved moving 3 teams down from B to C. The thought process is that teams have now had a half-season plus to prove themselves and the 'odd' results don't skew things quite so strongly any more. Dalhousie and Moncton are the only AUS teams in C level. This was based on the amount of one-sided losses they have had. I would not rule out a return to B level by Dalhousie.

Guelph hangs on to B level status, largely due to their tournament win over Brock and the Urban Cowboys and non-conference Canisius (NCAA). But they have yet to beat an A level team in the regular season.

I had thought that Regina might suffer a downgrade. But 3 of 4 points against UBC makes them 4-1-1 against B level teams on the season. And they did as well against UBC as McGill did the prior weekend.

Anyhow, the C level teams should not take their ranking as an insult. I note that 6 of the 10 C level teams have wins over A level teams this season.

Finally, maybe somebody can tell me why Waterloo seems to avoid getting votes from the offical pollsters.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
Weekend Preview

SERIES PREVIEW: BISONS FINALLY HAVE A HOME GAME!

UBC THUNDERBIRDS
(6-11-1, 13 points, tied for 5th place)
MANITOBA BISONS
(10-4-2, 22 points, 2nd place)

FRIDAY, JANUARY 15TH @ 7:00 CST | [RADIO: 101.5 OR UMFM.COM]
SATURDAY, JANUARY 16TH @ 7:00 CST
AT MAX BELL ARENA

How fortunes have turned for these two teams since their October meeting. UBC was (as always) in an optimistic early season mode. The Bisons were off to a good start, both through the pre-season and in their early season games. UBC won a Friday night shoot-out then achieved the sweep on Saturday. However, that was UBC's high-water markl for the season. Their record has been 3-11 since then.

Meanwhile, the Bisons have rolled into 2nd place and have the inside track on staying there. They lead Calgary by 1 point (but have 2 games in hand) and lead Sask by 3 points. All three of these teams play one of the desperados attempting a miracle run to 4th place. One would expect the 3 teams to achieve comparable results, but you never know.

UBC is not to be taken lightly. They performed well against McGill over the holidays. They did achieve a split. However, stronger goaltending could have resulted in a sweep. Their coach has been bouncing between Francois Thuot and Jordan White in the nets. They have the worst plus/minus in the CW. Manitoba has outscored their opponents 50-39 while UBC has been outscored 76-47. UBC's GAA is almost twice that of the Bisons.

Darrell May has returned to UBC. He played against Regina last week. He usually takes a bad penalty or two against the Bisons.

Here are the links you need: WEEKEND SCHEDULE:
  • Jan 15 UBC @ Manitoba
    Jan 15 Calgary @ Lethbridge
    Jan 16 UBC @ Manitoba
STANDINGS:
Code:
2009-10        G 	  W 	 L	OL 	 F 	 A 	+/- 	Pt
Alberta        18 	16 	 1 	1 	99 	46 	+53 	33
Manitoba       16 	10 	 4 	2 	50 	39 	+11 	22
Calgary        18 	 9 	 6 	3 	56 	64 	 -8 	21
Saskatchewan   16 	 9 	 6 	1 	63 	41 	+22 	19
Lethbridge     18 	 5 	10 	3 	50 	77 	-27 	13
UBC            18 	 6 	11 	1 	47 	76 	-29 	13
Regina         16 	 5 	10 	1 	36 	58 	-22 	11
BOOKMARKS:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Underdogs Rule

January 15, 2010

PAIR OF UPSETS TIGHTEN STANDINGS

UBC THUNDERBIRDS 3
MANITOBA BISONS 0

|> [U OF M STORY] ~ [UBC STORY]

This was an old-fashioned goaltenders' duel at the U of M Friday night. It was a well-played game. UBC needs to be given credit for putting up a good fight in a desperate bid to get back in the playoff race.

After a scoreless 1st period, the 2nd period was the worst one for the Bisons. On balance, I would say they controlled the bulk of the 1st and 3rd. After dodging bullets, Scott Wasden of UBC stick-handled in the slot without getting nailed and notched his 2nd goal of the year. It was 1-0 for UBC headed into the 3rd period.

After the Bisons had several shifts where they came close to tying the game, Cam Brodie of UBC scored his 1st of the season on a floater from the blue line which eluded Steve Christie. A long distance empty-netter then salted it away.

So far Jordan White has played goal in 10 games for UBC while Francois Thuot has been there for 13. I would guess they will stick with the hot hand in Saturday's re-match.

Here's how they lined up:
  • MANITOBA BISONS

Goal:
    Christie (Deckert)

Defense:
    Mealy - Workman
    Erb - Thiessen
    Brown - Lockerby

Forwards:
    Hellyer - Wood - Duval
    Macaulay - Walker - Dittmer
    Beller - Benias - Crowley
    Moggach - Wild - Waker

UBC THUNDERBIRDS

Goal:
    White (Thuot)

Defense:
    Yeo - Gordichuk
    Lineker - Kakoske
    Pepe - Brodie

Forwards:
    Lynch - Ruel - Schneider
    Campos - McCrae - Grassi
    Inglis - Wasden - Hamilton
    Bauer - mostly played the point on PP
    May - filled in on odd shifts
    Voytechek - Sonne - I never noticed those two but they show up on LeagueStats and if both dressed they had 21 players rather than 20!
ELSEWHERE:

CALGARY DINOSAURS 3
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 4

(in overtime)
|> [LEAGUESTAT SUMMARY] ~ [SCORER'S SHEET] ~ [CIS SUMMARY]
|> [U OF C STORY] ~ [U OF L STORY] ~ [C.W. STORY]

This is the 3rd straight extra time game for these teams this year. A last-minute goal by the Horny Ones forced the OT and then they collected the victory 3+ minutes in. The game story is pretty good and can be reached at any of the story links.

Combined with UBC's win, Lethbridge and UBC both move with 4 points of Sask, although Sask now has 3 games in hand. The bonus point also moves Calgary into a 2nd place with Manitoba, although Manitoba has 2 games in hand.

REGINA COUGARS -
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES -

These two had Friday night off and play a Saturday-Sunday home-and-home series.

NEXT UP:

Jan 16 UBC @ Manitoba | 7:00 pm Max Bell

BOOKMARKS:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
Herd Claims 2 Big Points

January 16, 2010

BISONS WIN ... AND GET LOTS OF HELP

UBC THUNDERBIRDS 2
MANITOBA BISONS 5

|> [U OF M STORY] ~ [UBC STORY] ~ [C.W. STORY]

Not only was this a big win for the Bisons (halting a 3 game losing streak to the Tweety-Birds) but they received BIG HELP on the out-of-town scoreboard. That wonderful combination made Saturday night an excellent night for the Herd.

While the game was somewhat of a comfortable win for the Bisons, it has to be said that UBC skated hard and hit hard over the weekend and were full value a split. They are clearly not ready to throw in the towel on the season. And when one looks at the wins by Lethbridge and Regina we could yet see a good race for at least one playoff berth.

The Bisons came out strong, no doubt wanting to avoid a home sweep at all costs. Jered Walker scored 2 minutes into the opening frame (his 3rd of the year). He played strong throughout and was named 2nd star. It was a strong period for the Bisons and I had full confidence that Saturday was going to turn out better than Friday.

The 2nd period had a 3 goal explosion that turned the game around. The Bisons started strong and eventually had a PP. Rick Wood from inside the left wing point made a beautiful cross ice pass to Tyler Dittmer (named 1st star) who was camped by the net on the right wing side and he found the top shelf faster than you could say "where did Momma hide the whiskey?" (his 5th of the season). But 30 seconds letter Matthew Schneider (not Mathieu, the Canuck/Moose d-man) made it 2-1 with his 7th goal. Then another 20 seconds later Greg Beller notched his 4th and it was 3-1 Bisons. (Beller was strong all weekend and got some PP time.)

After the Bisons opened the lead, UBC rallied and carried the play for most of the remainder of the period. However, they ran into penalty trouble and while 2 men short surrendered a goal by Ian Duval (his 3rd). (It must be noted that UBC also had a 2-man advantage but it was killed off by the Bisons. The Bisons killed 9 penalties and scored on 2 of 8 UBC penalties. The Bisons were also dangerous whilst shorthanded a couple of times.)

Despite trailing, UBC did not mount a serious 3rd period threat. They scored with about 6 minutes left but that was it. (They announced Hamilton as the scorer but LeagueStat says Wasden.) Mike Hellyer's empty-netter closed the scoring.

Steve Christie was very good in the Bison goal and was 3rd star. He now leads the conference in GAA and save percentage.

Here's how they lined up:
  • MANITOBA BISONS

Goal:
    Christie (Deckert)

Defense:
    Mealy - Workman
    Erb - Flynn
    Brown - Lockerby

Forwards:
    Hellyer - Wood - Duval
    Macaulay - Walker - Dittmer
    Beller - Benias - Howarth
    Crowley - Wild - Waker

UBC THUNDERBIRDS

Goal:
    White (Thuot)

Defense:
    Lineker - Kakoske
    Flatters - Gordichuk
    Brodie - Pepe

Forwards:
    Lynch - Schneider - Ruel
    Campos - McCrae - Grassi
    Inglis - Wasden - Hamilton
    Sonne - May - Bauer
Jered Walker had a strong game.

ELSEWHERE:

LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 4
CALGARY DINOSAURS 2

|> [U OF C STORY] ~ [U OF L STORY]

After beating the Dinos Friday night in Lethbridge, the smart money had to be on the Dinos on home ice in the Saturday night rematch. And for 2 periods, that's how it looked. Calgary held a 2-0 lead and were out-shooting the Horny Ones by 27-14. But the 3rd period must have been a monumental collapse. Lethbridge scored 3 even strength goals followed by an empty-netter. All told, 4 goals on 8 shots. Meanwhile, the Dinos could only scrounge a paltry 6 shots on goal in the 3rd period.

To lose in such a fashion does not bode well for the Dinos. The Bisons have to wonder what sort of Dino team they will face. It seems they are capable of beating anybody (they have wins over Alberta, Manitoba, and Sask) and then pulling off a game like this one. Lethbridge is now only 2 points behind Sask, however Sask has 3 games in hand. Calgary is within 2 points of Manitoba, who have 2 games in hand.

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 2
REGINA COUGARS 3

|> [U OF R STORY] ~ [U OF S STORY] ~ [C.W. STORY]

Holy Banjos Batman! The Banjo Cats defeated the Banjo Dogs. The loss by Sask is indicative of the tough time teams are having establishing themselves as top-ranked threats. After a tough start, Sask appeared to have found their groove. Then over the holidays they swept Lakehead, combined with Regina to beat the Team Canada juniors, then hammered the Slovakian juniors.

In this game, Regina earned a 2-0 1st period lead and then held on. Former South Blue Brant Hilton was in goal for the Puddy-Tats. The teams now switch home ice for Sunday's rematch in Saskatown. A win for Regina would pull them within even with UBC and within 4 points of Sask.

NEXT UP:

Jan 22 Alberta @ Saskatchewan
Jan 22 Manitoba @ Calgary
Jan 22 Lethbridge @ UBC
Jan 23 Alberta @ Saskatchewan
Jan 23 Manitoba @ Calgary
Jan 23 Lethbridge @ UBC
bye: Regina

BOOKMARKS:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
January 17, 2010

SUNDAY SPECIAL: BANJOLAND BATTLE ENDS IN A SPLIT

REGINA COUGARS 3
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 5

|> [U OF R STORY] ~ [U OF S STORY]

I caught most of this game on an internet webcast which was of very good quality. I'll be looking for more Sask webcasts as the season rolls on. The game was a good battle. Like UBC and Lethbridge, the Puddy-Tats aren't going to go down without a fight. A split does not get them very far, however. They end the weekend where they started - 8 points behind Sask and the final playoff berth. Regina has only 10 games left on their schedule.

Regina had the only goal of the 1st period and in fact had another waived off. Sask took control of the game in the 2nd period with 2 goals on 17 shots. Adam Ward was solid in the Regina goal. (BTW, both teams switched goaltenders for Saturday's game.) Two more early 3rd period goals appeared to seal the deal. But the Banjocats came back to make it 4-3 before the Banjodogs salted it away.

Both sides need to be concerned with the number of scoring chances they surrender.

While the Bisons could have used help the can't complain. They only split at home and gained ground on rival and stayed even with another. I suspect we'll see a good number of split series in coming weeks.

NEXT UP:

Jan 22 Alberta @ Saskatchewan | U OF A ONLINE | U OF S WEBCAST |
Jan 22 Manitoba @ Calgary
Jan 22 Lethbridge @ UBC | CITR.CA |
Jan 23 Alberta @ Saskatchewan | U OF A ONLINE | U OF S WEBCAST |
Jan 23 Manitoba @ Calgary
Jan 23 Lethbridge @ UBC | CITR.CA |

61 - 80 of 116 Posts