Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
a presidential what now?

but i agree with the OP!

go out and vote! this facade of democracy loses credability if you do not participate!:D

·
Registered
949 Posts
choosing the next president by being motivated to undermine the racist bigotry seen in the past, is no way to make conscious democratic decisions. that is simply living in the past.

i am not about to suggest that the wrong person won this election... but i do sense that this victory will cause all those who would wish to make Bush accountable for the mess he has caused, to feel that Obama winning is enough.

it is not. and to the rest of the world, some who have been made to suffer more due to Bush, than the likes of Hussein ever did, seeing Dubya retire to the Texas ranch will simply be so short of just, that nothing will really change with regard to how america is seen.

all this talk of hope and change is so superficial, it will not take long to be undermined. and so what is there to celebrate really?

·
Registered
73 Posts
choosing the next president by being motivated to undermine the racist bigotry seen in the past, is no way to make conscious democratic decisions. that is simply living in the past.

i am not about to suggest that the wrong person won this election... but i do sense that this victory will cause all those who would wish to make Bush accountable for the mess he has caused, to feel that Obama winning is enough.

it is not. and to the rest of the world, some who have been made to suffer more due to Bush, than the likes of Hussein ever did, seeing Dubya retire to the Texas ranch will simply be so short of just, that nothing will really change with regard to how america is seen.

all this talk of hope and change is so superficial, it will not take long to be undermined. and so what is there to celebrate really?
I totally agree, Obama won´t be that different from Bush (except for the brain). I´m from Brazil and we´ve seem something similar here (in terms of having a different type of person in charge), because our president came from an extremely poor family, worked since he was 10 as a shoes shiner, then operating press machines at factories (that´s why he doesn´t have one finger from his left hand), participated of unions, founded a left wing party and, when he was elected, he faced the fact that the system was (intentionally made) too complex to allow significant changes.

(Thankfully, he proved many people wrong and actually had - so far - a very good left-centrist government that allowed the country to grow good enough not to be attached to the US to the point where this current crisis wasn´t felt here yet)

So, if with such background Lula wasn´t able to change things so dramaticaly (and we´re talking about Brazil, which is thw world´s 9th economy and influences only Latin America, not the USA, the biggest economy with influence to the whole world). How could Obama, who is 'already so part of the system' could ever make things so different?

The real reason to celebrate for americans is, in my opinion, the change in their image for the rest of the world. I´ve been to quite a few countries from South America and Europe recently and I actually heard "if they elected that stupid redneck twice, that´s probably what they all are" - and I didn´t hear that only once. The impact of having elected a mulato from Hawaii with a muslin last name will be huge in the image the world will have of the US - and I really hope that actually influences in the relations between the world´s biggest power and the rest of the world itself.

What really matters to me is the courage the the american people had to try something different. Not the savior, not a miracle, not Christ reborn - simply someone who opposes much of what have been done in the past years. For that I´d like to congratulate everybody who voted for him.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I totally agree, Obama won´t be that different from Bush (except for the brain). I´m from Brazil and we´ve seem something similar here (in terms of having a different type of person in charge), because our president came from an extremely poor family, worked since he was 10 as a shoes shiner, then operating press machines at factories (that´s why he doesn´t have one finger from his left hand), participated of unions, founded a left wing party and, when he was elected, he faced the fact that the system was (intentionally made) too complex to allow significant changes.

(Thankfully, he proved many people wrong and actually had - so far - a very good left-centrist government that allowed the country to grow good enough not to be attached to the US to the point where this current crisis wasn´t felt here yet)

So, if with such background Lula wasn´t able to change things so dramaticaly (and we´re talking about Brazil, which is thw world´s 9th economy and influences only Latin America, not the USA, the biggest economy with influence to the whole world). How could Obama, who is 'already so part of the system' could ever make things so different?

The real reason to celebrate for americans is, in my opinion, the change in their image for the rest of the world. I´ve been to quite a few countries from South America and Europe recently and I actually heard "if they elected that stupid redneck twice, that´s probably what they all are" - and I didn´t hear that only once. The impact of having elected a mulato from Hawaii with a muslin last name will be huge in the image the world will have of the US - and I really hope that actually influences in the relations between the world´s biggest power and the rest of the world itself.

What really matters to me is the courage the the american people had to try something different. Not the savior, not a miracle, not Christ reborn - simply someone who opposes much of what have been done in the past years. For that I´d like to congratulate everybody who voted for him.
Well, Obama can't clean up this mess that idiot left America in overnight, even though the mess was made litereally overnight. At least we don't have another redneck president on cocaine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts