Hockey Fan Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Bergfors looks to have some potential.

As for the devils injuries this is the time they should play more a trap game and try to win low scoring. Weekes is an awefully bad goalie. He couldnt stop anything vs the Rangers last night. :cheeky4:
Well, it didn't hurt the Rangers to have two 5-on-3 PPs in the same period because of stupid penalty calls. The one handed hooking calls are ridiculous, and I guess you can't defend the front of your goal anymore without being called for something.:n

That being said, the Devils played like crap for 40 minutes and it cost them. They were outshot 38-18 in the final two periods after outshooting the Rangers 13-5 in the first period. Playing like that won't win you many games, regardless of who is between the pipes.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Well, it didn't hurt the Rangers to have two 5-on-3 PPs in the same period because of stupid penalty calls. The one handed hooking calls are ridiculous, and I guess you can't defend the front of your goal anymore without being called for something.:n

That being said, the Devils played like crap for 40 minutes and it cost them. They were outshot 38-18 in the final two periods after outshooting the Rangers 13-5 in the first period. Playing like that won't win you many games, regardless of who is between the pipes.

Your prob right. Marty would give up 2 goals and it been a 2-1 game.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We didn't look like the 08-09 Devils that we've seen this year offensively last night, We looked like the 07-08 Devils. We were on the recieving end of a lot of bad breaks, and we just couldn't get the puck in the damn net.

And i don't get why you put Clemmenson in goal. Weeks is clearly the best choice as far as the goaltending is concerned, and i'm thinking that we need to win games right now. Yes, Weeks did not have a good night against the Rangers, but he's goin to have bad nights. He's not Marty. I think that Sutter has to understand that.

And another thing, i just plain don't get some of the powerplay lines. Clarkson on the powerplay? What's that about. Don't get me wrong, Clarkie's my favorite player, i like how he plays. But i don't see why you put him on a powerplay. I get it, they want someone who can score up front, but Clarkson hasn't really done too much of that, most of his scoring has come from wraparounds and lucky bounces.

I think that Sutter is starting to go into panic-mode, as the medical bill gets hire and Marty is out. They can be a decent team without Marty, but they have to keep focus. Weeks has shown that he can do very well, but yes, he's going to have more then one bad start.

As far as tonight goes, it's their chance for revenge. Let's see Rupp or Clarkie drop the gloves, show them you can't **** with us, and get the home crowd into it. I think last night was just a bad game for the devils, one where they usually would've relied on Marty like they often do, but that's obviously not an option right now. If Weeks can get some offense behind him, i don't think the confidence level will be an issue, i don't think the Devils can go on too big a losing streak this early, because it may prove very difficult to get out of it. We need offense, without it we will be at the bottom of the standings, it's as simple as that.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
The Devils offense is finally finishing some of the numerous chances they're getting tonight, but every time they get some momentum the Caps come right back. 3-3 after two periods, we'll see what happens the rest of the way...

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Not the prettiest win in the world, but at this point I'll take anything. Hopefully Elias' 3 point night (2G-1A) is a sign of his offense coming to life. He's a streaky scorer as it is so hopefully this is the beginning of one of those streaks. Parise and Zajac continue to be the two best players on the ice game in and game out this year. Clemmensen was shaky at times, but in the end was solid in the shootout.

On the negative side, Pandolfo, Madden, and Langenbrunner all continue to disappoint. I think it's time to split Madden and Pandolfo up. Pando just can't keep up anymore and I think it might be time he be relegated to fourth line duty. Give Vrana and Bergfors some more ice time (they're getting too little as it is), maybe on the wings with Madden in the middle. As for Langenbrunner, I just don't know. He makes a good play here and there, but for the most part really hasn't done much but get in scrums and take penalties. I'm still not sure what the hell he was doing on Ovechkin's game tying goal late in regulation.

·
Registered
69 Posts
unfortanatley. this was the first game all season i missed. But from the box scores/recaps i saw, it sounded like a good game for us. Parise scored, again, and Clarkson had another assist. It sounds like Clemmenson had a good game. So, can't really give my input on tonight, but i'm glad to hear they won.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I think the Devils have a new weapon in the Elias-Zubrus-Gionta line. Collectively, they have 8 goals and 18 points in the three games since they've been put together. Zubrus has created so many chances this year, nice to see him start finishing them with 4 goals in the game. I know it was against a mess of a Tampa team (by the way, those third jerseys are just sad), but I'll take it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if the devils have some conditioning issues. They are always strong in the first period or two, but then fall apart in the late periods. Maybe it's just a matter of focus.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if the devils have some conditioning issues. They are always strong in the first period or two, but then fall apart in the late periods. Maybe it's just a matter of focus.
Yeah, letting the Caps and now Panthers come back to force OT in the final seconds is kind of disturbing. They had complete control of the game in the first period against Florida and then for whatever reason seemed to let their foot off the gas. Credit to the Panthers for never giving up though. Anderson made some nice saves in relief of Vokoun and they kept working hard.

Keep in mind as well though they have 6 regulars out of the lineup (Brodeur, Madden, Rolston, Holik, Greene, Mottau). Brodeur and Madden are especially big losses when it comes to shutting teams down once they get the lead. Hopefully this is more of an isolated incident and not the beginning of a pattern.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, letting the Caps and now Panthers come back to force OT in the final seconds is kind of disturbing. They had complete control of the game in the first period against Florida and then for whatever reason seemed to let their foot off the gas. Credit to the Panthers for never giving up though. Anderson made some nice saves in relief of Vokoun and they kept working hard.

Keep in mind as well though they have 6 regulars out of the lineup (Brodeur, Madden, Rolston, Holik, Greene, Mottau). Brodeur and Madden are especially big losses when it comes to shutting teams down once they get the lead. Hopefully this is more of an isolated incident and not the beginning of a pattern.
Tonights game just further proved the point (nevermind that Holik, Rolston, and Mattau are back now). Whatever's going wrong in the late minutes, they got to fix it. It's going to wind up costing them some key games.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Agreed, because pitt is right there as well and if we want to keep to stay close, let alone keep the lead, we need to start winning because i think we all know that pitt can win in bunches with the offensive firepower they have.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts