Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2008-2009 New Jersey Devils schedule/gameday discussion

Looking for the best source you need to find the season schedule and broadcasting information?

You have come to the right place! Welcome to the Hockey Forum's official resource for the New Jersey Devils' 2008-2009 season schedule.

I have to put together for the Hockey Forum community a news resource thread for the New Jersey Devils' regular season game schedule and upcoming broadcasting information. Such information isn't just for here, but also for individual team boards. The posts are organized to show both schedule types and are easy to find what you're looking for.

The first post in this thread will contain news hyperlinks for the game schedules themselves. The second post is reserved for the broadcasting information.

I would like to invite everyone's participation in helping me track down any news items you find in the posts that follow! You see something that you think I should add to either the game schedule news link list or those for the broadcasting schedules, please by all means post them and I'll then add them.

My goal is to encourage participation in this thread where once the schedules are released, let's hear what you think are the most anticipated games you think should be circled on the 2008-2009 hockey calendar! Also, what do you like about the new schedules? What do you not like about them? Many other fans would like to know what your answers would be.

The National Hockey League unveiled the 2008-2009 regular season schedule on July 17, 2008 at 12:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time. For more on the entire league schedule, please go to this thread for further details.

Here are the most resourceful news items available online.

National Hockey League official site
(July 17):
*European opening, Canadiens centennial highlight 2008-2009 season
Matchups not to be missed
2008-2009 NHL schedule page

(July 18):
Inside the 2008-2009 schedule

(August 11):
NHL announces 2008-2009 pre-season schedule

New Jersey Devils official news releases
(July 17):
2008-2009 New Jersey Devils schedule

(August 1):
Preseason schedule announced

The Sports Network's (TSN) NHL page
(July 17):
Season to open in Europe as NHL releases 2008-2009 schedule
2008-2009 NHL schedule
2008-2009 Canadian calendar

(August 11):
NHL releases pre-season schedule

CBC Sports' hockey page
(July 17):
New NHL schedule heightens Canadian rivalries

(August 11):
Senators host Rangers to open NHL pre-season

ESPN's NHL page (July 17):
The can't-miss games of 2008-2009 NHL season

New York Post's Devils page
(July 17):
Devils open at home vs. Islanders, October 10th

(August 1):
Devils set preseason schedule (Hat Trick blog)

The Bergen Record's Devils page
(July 17):
Full 2008-2009 schedule with breakdown

(July 18):
Devils need to be on their toes

(August 1):
Preseason schedule announced

(August 14):
Preseason time change

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
2008-2009 REGULAR SEASON BROADCASTING INFORMATION

As of now, the New Jersey Devils could make as many as 15 national television appearances this season.

No full broadcast schedule has been finalized for both the NHL Network and NBC, but will be announced soon.

All other Devils games will be televised locally by MSG+ with the number of overflow games for MSG Network to be determined at a later date.

PLEASE NOTE:
Various cable systems in the New York City television market will set up a second overflow channel on either occupied or normally unused cable channel slots in the event both MSG Network and MSG+ are airing other games at the same time a Devils game is scheduled. Check with nyoverflow.com for the most updated on-air overflow channel schedule during the season.

Versus (6):
NOTE: The last three games are exclusive cablecasts in the United States.
November 3, 2008 - Buffalo at New Jersey
December 23, 2008 - Boston at New Jersey
December 30, 2008 - New Jersey at St. Louis
February 9, 2009 - New York Rangers at New Jersey
March 23, 2009 - New Jersey at Philadelphia
March 30, 2009 - New Jersey at New York Rangers

Le Réseau des Sports (RDS) (4):
December 6, 2008 - New Jersey at Montréal
January 2, 2009 - Montréal at New Jersey
January 21, 2009 - Montréal at New Jersey
March 14, 2009 - New Jersey at Montréal

The Sports Network (TSN) (3):
October 29, 2008 - Toronto at New Jersey
December 16, 2008 - New Jersey at Toronto
January 4, 2009 - Ottawa at New Jersey

NBC (potentially up to 2)

For more on the league-wide national television schedules, see these news sources below.

National Hockey League official site (August 14):
League releases TV schedules for 2008-2009

New Jersey Devils official news release (August 14):
NHL announces national broadcast schedule

The Sports Network's (TSN) NHL page (August 14):
TSN announces 2008-2009 NHL broadcast schedule
2008-2009 NHL on TSN schedule
NHL: Hockey Lives Here (video clip)

CBC Sports' hockey page (August 14):
Hockey Night in Canada unveils season schedule

Versus' NHL page (August 14):
Versus announces schedule for 2008-2009 NHL regular season
Much to see on Versus this season
Versus' 2008-2009 broadcast schedule

Kukla's Korner blog (August 15):
The Eye on the Media 2008-09 National TV Guide: Team-by-Team Network TV Schedules

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
As was done in the Wings section, I've stickied this thread and hope to use it as both a schedule and gameday discussion thread for the upcoming season. I edited the thread title a bit as well.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
team looks good this season.
I haven't been this excited about a Devils team for a couple years now. Ever since the lockout I've known the Devils would be competitive, but the realist in me knew they weren't going to be in serious Cup contention. While they still probably won't be considered contenders by many, they're the closest they've been since their last Cup.

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
I haven't been this excited about a Devils team for a couple years now. Ever since the lockout I've known the Devils would be competitive, but the realist in me knew they weren't going to be in serious Cup contention. While they still probably won't be considered contenders by many, they're the closest they've been since their last Cup.
Why the excitement, their defence is still pretty weak. There offence is alright now, but they have yet to find someone that can replace Gomez' strength in that position. Signing Holik really brings nothing extra to your franchise the guy a literally one of the biggest losers in the NHL, since he signed in NYR he has been to the playoffs once.

Roloston was a great signing and of course you guys still have broduer so you will finish in the top for in the East, but I don't believe you have the depth to be considered a serious contender.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my NJ Devils 2008-09 predictions

This is the way i think the devils will look stat wise by the end of the season.

Player Gp G A P +/- PIM
Patrick Elias 81 34 39 73 +9 48
Zach Parise 82 37 36 73 +14 24
Brian Rolston 74 29 32 61 +4 56
Brian Gionta 82 38 22 60 -1 48
Jamie Lagenbrunner 68 21 33 54 +2 21
Travis Zajac 82 18 29 47 -7 55
Danuis Zubrus 79 20 23 43 +2 30
John Madden 81 16 24 40 -5 20
Paul Martin 76 9 27 36 +18 22
David Clarkson 82 14 19 33 -7 173
Jay Pandolfo 69 13 19 32 +5 18
John Oduya 77 8 20 28 +20 58
Mike Mottau 77 6 17 23 +9 63
Andy Greene 68 6 16 22 -4 31
Mike Rupp 82 3 11 14 -1 105
Bryce Salvador 66 1 11 12 -9 60
Rod Pelley 65 6 6 12 +1 33
Colin White 80 3 7 10 +17 57

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey guys if you cant catch the game on tv or in person tonight, this site i signed up to is streaming it! giving a heads up on a lot of the team forums since this site has helped me be able to catch the blackhawk games, but yeah www.hockeystreams.com has the devils vs rangers, good quality too, no buffering

·
Registered
69 Posts
Weeks is not doing too bad. He's made some nice saves, and if Marty wasn't such a legandary goaltender, you might not notice he's gone. And how about that Clarkson line last night? I didn't like the idea of putting Elias with Langenbreuner's line, didn't think Clarkson was going to make that 2nd line too much better, and trust me Clarkson's my guy, i like how he plays. But i was suprised how well the line worked, they had some good chances and Clarkson had that nice goal.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Weeks is not doing too bad. He's made some nice saves, and if Marty wasn't such a legandary goaltender, you might not notice he's gone. And how about that Clarkson line last night? I didn't like the idea of putting Elias with Langenbreuner's line, didn't think Clarkson was going to make that 2nd line too much better, and trust me Clarkson's my guy, i like how he plays. But i was suprised how well the line worked, they had some good chances and Clarkson had that nice goal.
And I don't think Clarkson tried one wraparound attempt in that game! He's finally learned how to shoot (hopefully). As for the lines, remember that the Devils have Brent Sutter behind the bench. In his year plus of coaching the Devils he's changed line combinations so many times it would make your head spin. With their injury issues I expect that to continue.

As for Weekes, it was nice to see him all pumped up when he got the win. I've heard nothing but good things about the kind of guy he is in the locker room. I think the guys in front of him will rally around him and keep themselves in the playoff hunt until Marty gets back. This could actually be good for them in the long run. I think they've played the "Marty will save our asses" game a little too much the last couple years. If they can find ways to win without him, they'll be even better when he does come back.

·
Registered
69 Posts
And I don't think Clarkson tried one wraparound attempt in that game! He's finally learned how to shoot (hopefully). As for the lines, remember that the Devils have Brent Sutter behind the bench. In his year plus of coaching the Devils he's changed line combinations so many times it would make your head spin. With their injury issues I expect that to continue.

As for Weekes, it was nice to see him all pumped up when he got the win. I've heard nothing but good things about the kind of guy he is in the locker room. I think the guys in front of him will rally around him and keep themselves in the playoff hunt until Marty gets back. This could actually be good for them in the long run. I think they've played the "Marty will save our asses" game a little too much the last couple years. If they can find ways to win without him, they'll be even better when he does come back.
agreed. They are scoring a lot better then last year though for the most part. Parise's just been on fire. We're playing in Detriot tonight, i'd bet a W over the Stanley Cup champs would be a boost for the team huh?

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Okay, this injury bull**** is starting to get really, really old. The body count tonight is two, Gionta and Salvador. Gionta got leveled trying to make a hit and Salvador took a shot from his own player and as he was heading off the ice Hossa scored to put the Wings up 2-1. What the hell is next?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Okay, this injury bull**** is starting to get really, really old. The body count tonight is two, Gionta and Salvador. Gionta got leveled trying to make a hit and Salvador took a shot from his own player and as he was heading off the ice Hossa scored to put the Wings up 2-1. What the hell is next?
Oduya, probably.
Played a good game.
What does that mean?
He's gone.

Uh oh, MD, I think its an NHL conspiracy.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Gionta and Salvador miss a game.
Motteau takes a puck to the face.

Someone really hates us.
And everybody not named Zach Parise has forgotten how to finish a god damn scoring chance!

It's going to be a long, long season if guys don't start finishing their chances. This is too much like the last couple years where they get tons of quality chances and can't make them count. Of course it doesn't help that two of their better finishers (Rolston and Gionta) are out of the lineup. Granted, Gio hasn't exactly been stellar, but he at least has some finishing sense.

People were wondering how the Devils would do without Brodeur and for the most part goaltending hasn't been an issue yet. It's been the offense and special teams that have killed them. A goal per game is not going to win you many games...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
And everybody not named Zach Parise has forgotten how to finish a god damn scoring chance!

It's going to be a long, long season if guys don't start finishing their chances. This is too much like the last couple years where they get tons of quality chances and can't make them count. Of course it doesn't help that two of their better finishers (Rolston and Gionta) are out of the lineup. Granted, Gio hasn't exactly been stellar, but he at least has some finishing sense.

People were wondering how the Devils would do without Brodeur and for the most part goaltending hasn't been an issue yet. It's been the offense and special teams that have killed them. A goal per game is not going to win you many games...
Of course missing Brodeur is huge. But what no one, except for Devils fans, remembers, is that Rolston and Holik are out. Langenbrunner isnt 100%. Gionta missed a game and wont be 100%. Martin is out. Half of our team is injured or not feeling at their best. Of course the Devils are going to suffer and have trouble scoring.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Of course missing Brodeur is huge. But what no one, except for Devils fans, remembers, is that Rolston and Holik are out. Langenbrunner isnt 100%. Gionta missed a game and wont be 100%. Martin is out. Half of our team is injured or not feeling at their best. Of course the Devils are going to suffer and have trouble scoring.
True. It's hard to find any consistency or chemistry when you've got different guys in the lineup every night. On the positive side of all this, the Devils at least get to see what guys like Vrana, Bergfors, Davis, Salmela, etc. can do with the big team. Vrana really does remind me of a young Sarge with the way he hustles. Bergfors has made some good plays, but for some reason hasn't been given much ice time. Salmela could be the next Oduya if he keeps developing.

It's tough to go through as many injuries as the Devils are, but a little adversity might end up being good in the long run.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
True. It's hard to find any consistency or chemistry when you've got different guys in the lineup every night. On the positive side of all this, the Devils at least get to see what guys like Vrana, Bergfors, Davis, Salmela, etc. can do with the big team. Vrana really does remind me of a young Sarge with the way he hustles. Bergfors has made some good plays, but for some reason hasn't been given much ice time. Salmela could be the next Oduya if he keeps developing.

It's tough to go through as many injuries as the Devils are, but a little adversity might end up being good in the long run.
Hey MD!

Ya you guys are having it pretty rough right now. Thank the Devil for Zach Parise! Huge bright spot for you guys this season.

Look on the bright side. You still might make the playoffs. As long as you guys hang around contention you will have Marty back for the last 1/3 of the season. If you make the playoffs you guys will have him in 25-30 game form instead of him already having played 70+ games.

I liked the idea of Rolston and Holik coming back for this year. Holik would take some pressure off Madden defensively, while Rolston was coming off his 3rd consecutive 30+ goal campaign in Minny.

Oh well, if the worst happens, just think of the good draft pick and all the rest Marty will get if you guys keep getting injured and end up in the bottom of the East.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts

Bergfors looks to have some potential.

As for the devils injuries this is the time they should play more a trap game and try to win low scoring. Weekes is an awefully bad goalie. He couldnt stop anything vs the Rangers last night. :cheeky4:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts