Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one reason I started this thread was due to extreme boredom.

Just like Drury and Gomez were this years #1s, who should the Rangers label as their number one priority(s) for next offseason?:dunno:

I think the Rangers should target Heatley and/or Dan boyle.

Heatley might be a bit expensive, but after next year, Jagr is their only above-average winger(and their is only one year left on his contract).

Boyle is a 60-point d-man while making only 3.6million.

Who do the Rangers need more?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
valadanoot14 said:
The one reason I started this thread was due to extreme boredom.

Just like Drury and Gomez were this years #1s, who should the Rangers label as their number one priority(s) for next offseason?:dunno:

I think the Rangers should target Heatley and/or Dan boyle.

Heatley might be a bit expensive, but after next year, Jagr is their only above-average winger(and their is only one year left on his contract).

Boyle is a 60-point d-man while making only 3.6million.

Who do the Rangers need more?
Jagr is only guarenteed for 2007-08, 2008-09 is an option year for him he for sure will want to renegotiate.

Now do the rangers do this and lose the chance to sign heatley long term in the prime years of his career?

I would let jagr walk if it meant he wants to play 1 more year and lock up heatly.

As for boyle i would stay away i like how our defensive prospects look and think within 2 seasons it will show.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
KRYPT1968 said:
Jagr is only guarenteed for 2007-08, 2008-09 is an option year for him he for sure will want to renegotiate.

Now do the rangers do this and lose the chance to sign heatley long term in the prime years of his career?

I would let jagr walk if it meant he wants to play 1 more year and lock up heatly.

As for boyle i would stay away i like how our defensive prospects look and think within 2 seasons it will show.
With the contracts that you guys gave Drury and Gomez, good luck locking up Heatley for anything short of 9 million a year. But I do hope you give him that kinda contract, just so it blows up in the face of all Rangers fans and management.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
imported_LiAmTrAnSdEmOn said:
With the contracts that you guys gave Drury and Gomez, good luck locking up Heatley for anything short of 9 million a year. But I do hope you give him that kinda contract, just so it blows up in the face of all Rangers fans and management.
Come on Liam, didn't you get the memo? The Rangers have changed their free spending ways and are going to go with the "building the team from within" approach...

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
imported_LiAmTrAnSdEmOn said:

The thing people dont relize again we have alot of players playing under what there worth is so it evens up the ones we overpaid for.

Your flyers grossly overpaid some players also.

Heatley well get Gagne type money anyway since gagne is better. :D

As for blowing up in managment they survived 7 years of non playoffs guess playing in a huge city has its perks.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
MadDevil said:
Come on Liam, didn't you get the memo? The Rangers have changed their free spending ways and are going to go with the "building the team from within" approach...

Is it possible to build an entire team within to win in todays NHL?

Our Future Defense and Goaltending is built within and thats fine enough.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
KRYPT1968 said:
The thing people dont relize again we have alot of players playing under what there worth is so it evens up the ones we overpaid for.

Your flyers grossly overpaid some players also.

Heatley well get Gagne type money anyway since gagne is better. :D

As for blowing up in managment they survived 7 years of non playoffs guess playing in a huge city has its perks.
What players did the Flyers "grossly" overpay for? Maybe Hartnell at 4 million a year, but Timonen and Briere got what they're worth, maybe more, but nowhere near the verpayments handed out to Drury and Gomez.

Heatley will get 9 million easy, not because he's better than Gagne, but because he's played with better talent than Gagne and has therefore put up better point totals. That seems to be the only thing that GMs give merit to when offering contracts, with the exception of Super Selke winner and natural born leader of the 12 nations of Israel Chris Drury.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
LiAmTrAnSdEmOn said:
What players did the Flyers "grossly" overpay for? Maybe Hartnell at 4 million a year, but Timonen and Briere got what they're worth, maybe more, but nowhere near the verpayments handed out to Drury and Gomez.

Heatley will get 9 million easy, not because he's better than Gagne, but because he's played with better talent than Gagne and has therefore put up better point totals. That seems to be the only thing that GMs give merit to when offering contracts, with the exception of Super Selke winner and natural born leader of the 12 nations of Israel Chris Drury.

Briere is more overpaid then gomez he only has broken 65 points one time in his career and that being a contract year. if briere is worth it ok. :rolleyes:

Gomez has scored or broken 70+ points in 3 different seasons and is 2 years younger then briere. Also did this while playing in much higher defensive system. Ill take gomez for 1 mill more place him with a better ofensive team and roll the dice. thank you. :D

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
KRYPT1968 said:
Briere is more overpaid then gomez he only has broken 65 points one time in his career and that being a contract year. if briere is worth it ok. :rolleyes:

Gomez has scored or broken 70+ points in 3 different seasons and is 2 years younger then briere. Also did this while playing in much higher defensive system. Ill take gomez for 1 mill more place him with a better ofensive team and roll the dice. thank you. :D
Briere was #10 in scoring last year and had 58 points in 48 games the year before that. Briere played on an offensive Buffalo team last year and the year before, but only really had Vanek to support him. Gomez has been playing with Elias and Gionta on the Devils for 3 years or so. He's only been at a PPG once in his career, and surprise, surprise, it was when Gionta was on fire last year and Elias came back from Hep B to be scoring at an incredible rate. Gomez is good, but not worth near the contract paid to him. He'll look good next to Jagr, and I'm sure that'll keep you Ranger fans chirping all season long, but the fact of the matter is that Gomez is a nice passer but his passes aren't worth the chunk of change he's getting. Briere is much more worth his contract than Gomez.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
LiAmTrAnSdEmOn said:
Briere was #10 in scoring last year and had 58 points in 48 games the year before that. Briere played on an offensive Buffalo team last year and the year before, but only really had Vanek to support him. Gomez has been playing with Elias and Gionta on the Devils for 3 years or so. He's only been at a PPG once in his career, and surprise, surprise, it was when Gionta was on fire last year and Elias came back from Hep B to be scoring at an incredible rate. Gomez is good, but not worth near the contract paid to him. He'll look good next to Jagr, and I'm sure that'll keep you Ranger fans chirping all season long, but the fact of the matter is that Gomez is a nice passer but his passes aren't worth the chunk of change he's getting. Briere is much more worth his contract than Gomez.

Gomez also has a good defensive upside and can work on the PK as well. i still like his all around game better and put in the right environment his goal total will for sure go up.

Put briere on the devils his entire career and lets see what his totals would be. That could be said for any offensive gifted player.

Its safe imo to say that a 100 point guy on an offensive team will prob score 75/80 points on the devils.

Eithier way the Rangers and Flyers spent alot both teams got decent players. Players that fit there needs. And the ballance of the east has shifted in favor of the Rangers/Flyers/Penguins.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Chris_1968 said:
Gomez also has a good defensive upside and can work on the PK as well. i still like his all around game better and put in the right environment his goal total will for sure go up.

Put briere on the devils his entire career and lets see what his totals would be. That could be said for any offensive gifted player.

Its safe imo to say that a 100 point guy on an offensive team will prob score 75/80 points on the devils.

Eithier way the Rangers and Flyers spent alot both teams got decent players. Players that fit there needs. And the ballance of the east has shifted in favor of the Rangers/Flyers/Penguins.
Gomez will not score 100 pts you can put that pipedream away now. Plus Gomer is not the best Defensive forward not by a long shot. Jamie,Sarge,Pando,Mad Dog were the 4 pk killing forwards. Not Gomez

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Chris_1968 said:

If Briere is overpaid because his best season came in a contract year, what does it say of Gomez that in the same situation he had a down season?;)

I do agree that I'd take Gomez over Briere, but I still don't think that justifies the ridiculous amount of money Gomez is getting. And I think this whole "Gomez would be better offensively with another team" argument is pretty lame. People make it sound as if every offensive player who plays for the Devils is stifled because they actually ask them to backcheck and play defense. Quick, name an offensive player who played for the Devils that exploded offensively with another team!

As most Devils fans know, Gomez can either be on the verge of dominant or completely nonexistent. Playing with a guy like Jagr will help mask some of those inconsistencies, but I don't think playing with him will automatically mean a big year for Gomez offensively.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
MadDevil said:
If Briere is overpaid because his best season came in a contract year, what does it say of Gomez that in the same situation he had a down season?;)

I do agree that I'd take Gomez over Briere, but I still don't think that justifies the ridiculous amount of money Gomez is getting. And I think this whole "Gomez would be better offensively with another team" argument is pretty lame. People make it sound as if every offensive player who plays for the Devils is stifled because they actually ask them to backcheck and play defense. Quick, name an offensive player who played for the Devils that exploded offensively with another team!

As most Devils fans know, Gomez can either be on the verge of dominant or completely nonexistent. Playing with a guy like Jagr will help mask some of those inconsistencies, but I don't think playing with him will automatically mean a big year for Gomez offensively.
Did Shanahan explode with Detroit? But that was after St. Louis. Gomez could be better offensively with another team or not. He had excellent talent with Elias and Gionta on either side of him, but he never put up the numbers that all the Rangers fans are hoping he will. Jagr is not too much of an improvement on Elias, certainly at this point in his career, where Elias is younger than Jagr and still has plenty of time. So, good luck with Gomez, New York.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
halifas said:
Did Shanahan explode with Detroit? But that was after St. Louis. Gomez could be better offensively with another team or not. He had excellent talent with Elias and Gionta on either side of him, but he never put up the numbers that all the Rangers fans are hoping he will. Jagr is not too much of an improvement on Elias, certainly at this point in his career, where Elias is younger than Jagr and still has plenty of time. So, good luck with Gomez, New York.
Well, maybe "explode" was a bit strong, but not many players who have had good offensive years with the Devils have had their production go up drastically just by playing with another team. Some people make it sound as if Gomez has been stifled by playing in New Jersey, but guys like Mogilny, Elias, and Gionta have all scored 40+ goals playing for the "defensive" Devils.

Like you said, Gomez's numbers aren't automatically going to go up just because of Jagr. Maybe he'll get back to where he was in 05-06, but I wouldn't expect too much more out of him. Who knows, maybe he'll prove all of us Ranger haters wrong.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Anyway maybe gomez gets the 2nd line and drury gets 1st line.

Drury who is known for being open and in the right spot may benifit better then say gomez. As gomez may be better say on a line with shanny.

In any event overpaying is one thing when you take him from a rival and being center was a need and gomez is a crafty skater and passer. I still think his offense will climb being on the Rangers now. so 1 mill overpayment big deal.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Chris_1968 said:
Anyway maybe gomez gets the 2nd line and drury gets 1st line.

Drury who is known for being open and in the right spot may benifit better then say gomez. As gomez may be better say on a line with shanny.

In any event overpaying is one thing when you take him from a rival and being center was a need and gomez is a crafty skater and passer. I still think his offense will climb being on the Rangers now. so 1 mill overpayment big deal.
If Gomer puts up 80 points this year he will be worth the 7.15 per yr he will make for the rest of his contract I will give Sather that much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts