Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who was your favorite player and made the most impact on the league from this team.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
As much of my dislike for the islanders, id have to say billy smith was one of the best money goalies durring playoff time.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Bossy, Nystrom, Potvin were awesome...

Dont forget Trottier....he was a great player

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
WinnipegJets said:
Dont forget Trottier....he was a great player
he was prob there best all time player. no telling how many goals bossy would have had without him, he set him up like crazy.

all due respect potvin was prob there greatest defensman they ever had.

i remember best in the old blue seats at msg when the islanders would visit the rangers chants would always come down on you beat your wife potivn beat your wife.

not funny in any means but just some of the trash talk between one of the best rivals at the time.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
KRYPT1968 said:
i remember best in the old blue seats at msg when the islanders would visit the rangers chants would always come down on you beat your wife potivn beat your wife.

not funny in any means but just some of the trash talk between one of the best rivals at the time.
An Islander fans would respond with 1940 1940! :haha:

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
KB in Kelowna said:
An Islander fans would respond with 1940 1940! :haha:

yes that was there classic chat at the nassau collisium. i had to endure that from the time i was 6 till i was 24. some of the best times i remember when going to those games at eithier arena.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Game 5 of the 1984 Patrick Divison Semi_Finals...Tied going into Overtime...The Rangers and Islanders went back in forth in overtime until Ken Morrow shot the puck by Glen Henlon to the overtime victory and to the Series win against the Rangers......

Back then when Ranger country had to play second fiddle to the Islanders...

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
WinnipegJets said:
Game 5 of the 1984 Patrick Divison Semi_Finals...Tied going into Overtime...The Rangers and Islanders went back in forth in overtime until Ken Morrow shot the puck by Glen Henlon to the overtime victory and to the Series win against the Rangers......

Back then when Ranger country had to play second fiddle to the Islanders...

i remember the goal in question to tie it by don maloney in the final min with a stick around the shoulder, the goal counted and put the game to overtime.

·
Banned
204 Posts
Mike Bossy is my favourite player of all time. I owned basically everything involving him that hit the markets, including 500 of his cards, posters, shirts, autograph jerseys, and much more.

The Islanders were certainly a dominant force. I enjoyed watching them beat the Oilers and Flyers from time to time :haha:. And then lose to the Oilers in the Stanley Cup :frown:.

My top three favourites though were:
1. Mike Bossy
2. Bryan Trottier
and then cheap, ruthless goalie:
3. Billy Smith

I miss those seventies and eighties where the Flyers and Islanders dominated while the Capitals sucked and had no fans. I remember a guy outside of college got beat up for liking the capitals in 1975 when I was 21.

I miss those good ol days.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I remember Billy Smith didnt take crap from nobody
"You live by the sword, you die by the sword" eh Gretzky

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mike Bossy. What an unstoppable force, especially in the '82 final.

The Canucks had no answer for Bossy, who pretty much beat the Nucks by himself.

Though Bob Nystrom, Trottier (that amazing run that saw him record a point in every playoff game in a playoff year), Potvin, and Smith were all key components, Clark Gillies, Ken Morrow, and Duane Sutter all played a role.

And let's not forget Butch Goring. He was a human dynamo on skates.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts