Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Wings:

Detroit, MI…Detroit Red Wings Senior Vice President Jim Devellano today announced that the Red Wings will officially retire Captain Steve Yzerman’s number “19” in a special pre-game ceremony on January 2, 2007.

“For a long time, there was no doubt in ownership’s mind that Steve Yzerman would play his entire career with the Detroit Red Wings and that his sweater would fittingly go up into the rafters along with the other all-time greatest Red Wing players – Abel, Delvecchio, Howe, Lindsay and Sawchuk,” said Devellano. “As to picking a date, we wanted to be sure that this will be a very special evening and with that, it takes a lot of planning.”

The number “19” will be raised to the Joe Louis Arena rafters next to the five previously retired Red Wings jersey’s: Terry Sawchuk’s #1, Ted Lindsay’s #7, Gordie Howe’s #9, Alex Delvecchio’s #10, and Sid Abel’s #12. An extensive presentation is being planned for the January 2 event that will begin at approximately 6:30 pm, one hour prior to the scheduled start time of the Wings vs. Anaheim game.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hey thats great to see i am a wing hater but he made that team to wut it is now a power house. when they drafted him they built around him thats wut a born leader he was he use to be the youngest Captain until Vincent came along. But ya its great to see a player like that be treated with so much respect. he didnt do a whole bunch on the score sheet but he did lots for th organization.It is well deserved for him

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
he so deserves this. the man is absolutely without a doubt one of the best wings in all history. I think we will see him get inducted into the hall of famein 2009. thats a guestament that was in the paper.

Noone deserves this honor more than steve yzerman. he is hockey town's heart. I am really going to miss that number 19 out there on the joe louis arena ice on a wensday night.

I just have to say again, Thankyou Captain, without you three stanley cups wouldnt have been possible. :)

it has been an honor to watch you on ice as a fan, and now to see you in hockeytowns office. well, thats just as good.. cause then we will always have #19 looking after us. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts