Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1- He failed to build a team that "wouldn't be pushed around anymore".
2- he failed to build a team from goal tending up.
3- he brought in the Monster to be a starter.
4- He said this team would make the playoffs.
5- he failed to make any trades before the deadline.
6- He built up his staff with no visible results.
7- The fans had to tell him to fire the coach.
8- He is wasting his time fighting with the media.
9- He hired a goalie coach who has wrecked two young goalies.
10 He has put the team further back from a playoff team.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I'm going to play devil's advocate and counter the points. Then I will tell you why he should be fired.

1- He failed to build a team that "wouldn't be pushed around anymore". - His coach (Wilson) wanted to play a run and gun style. Didn't match his vision, he built the team to Wilson's vision.
2- he failed to build a team from goal tending up. He brought in what he believed and should have been a very good defense. With the exception of Gunnarsson every single dman fell short of expectations.
Something for nothing, he brought him in hoping that he would be a starter, the mistake he made was giving him too much credit this off season.
This team should have made the playoffs. After the 5-0 against Ottawa and the 6-3 win over Edmonton this team was sitting in sixth and looked primed to make the playoffs. No one in the world was saying they would miss. Now they have won 4 games in the last 20. If anyone says they saw that coming they are liars.
Can't defend that one, you either get better or you get worse. Standing pat is a death sentence in this league.
They have made some good moves, I would rather have more experience than not enough. But again coming back to this.
He wasn't listening to the fans, or he would have fired Wilson last summer.
I believe he is trying to deflect off the players, which they obviously need right now.
The guy is known to be one of the best, but he isn't working, hiring him isn't the problem, he needs to know when to get rid of him.
I don't think they are any further back from when he arrived. He just hasn't pushed at all costs to make it. (Trading for a new starting goalie every draft... etc...)

Why Brian Burke should be fired as GM:

HE HASN'T DONE HIS JOB! I mean not at all. You constantly hear things like, Nonis negotiated Carlysle's contract. Nonis negotiated the Phaneuf trade, Fletcher and Nonis met face to face with Richards, and failed to get the only center and on the market. And it was the management team that decided to go with plan B in Connolly.

Burke hasn't done any of the actual work putting this team together. He is the highest paid GM in the league, and when it comes time to trade for a goalie (Schneider, Rask, Bernier, Price... etc...) it should be Burke working on the deal, not Nonis and Loiselle.

When it comes time to sell Suter on skipping on one of the good teams and becoming a Leaf, it should be the Leafs best salesman doing the job... And that is Burke.

But he hasn't done, and there is no indication that he will do it. Because of that fact and that fact alone, he should be fired.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
1- He failed to build a team that "wouldn't be pushed around anymore".
2- he failed to build a team from goal tending up.
He took a team that had Jason blake as it's leading scorer with little to no prospect depth. He has since filled it with some solid young guys in Kadri, Colborne, Holzner, Blacker, Gardiner, Scrivens, Owuya, Biggs, Percy, McKeg, Ross to name a few. He's been here for what has been 4 seasons. Some rebuilds can take 6 or 7 years i mean just look at the Isles and Oilers ... The leafs are in good shape and getting better.
Like jeez Leaf fans wanted a flipping rebuild and the next thing you know 4 season in after inheriting a train wreck Burkie has them going in the right direction and people want him gone? Way to early. Give him two more season and if there is still no improvement then we can talk firing Burke.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Why Brian Burke should be fired as GM:

HE HASN'T DONE HIS JOB! I mean not at all. You constantly hear things like, Nonis negotiated Carlysle's contract. Nonis negotiated the Phaneuf trade, Fletcher and Nonis met face to face with Richards, and failed to get the only center and on the market. And it was the management team that decided to go with plan B in Connolly.

Burke hasn't done any of the actual work putting this team together. He is the highest paid GM in the league, and when it comes time to trade for a goalie (Schneider, Rask, Bernier, Price... etc...) it should be Burke working on the deal, not Nonis and Loiselle.

When it comes time to sell Suter on skipping on one of the good teams and becoming a Leaf, it should be the Leafs best salesman doing the job... And that is Burke.

But he hasn't done, and there is no indication that he will do it. Because of that fact and that fact alone, he should be fired.
Just to say a few things. No chance on Schneider all deals will probably begin and end with Gardiner. Plus bad relationship with nucks.

Rask will not be moved out of Boston. Thomas is getting old and soon enough Rask will take over for them.

Bernier is no more proven then Reimer or Gustavsson. In fact you could argue Reimz and Gus are better by playing on a team with little to no defensive support the past few months.

Price now that's a guy i wouldn't mind on this team. If they can get it done go for it.

On to Burkie not doing his job. They are rumors. idk how true they are and if they are well Burkie has some explaining to do. If they are not then this discussion is over.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Just to say a few things. No chance on Schneider all deals will probably begin and end with Gardiner. Plus bad relationship with nucks.

Rask will not be moved out of Boston. Thomas is getting old and soon enough Rask will take over for them.

Bernier is no more proven then Reimer or Gustavsson. In fact you could argue Reimz and Gus are better by playing on a team with little to no defensive support the past few months.

Price now that's a guy i wouldn't mind on this team. If they can get it done go for it.

On to Burkie not doing his job. They are rumors. idk how true they are and if they are well Burkie has some explaining to do. If they are not then this discussion is over.
We know for a fact that Burke was in Afghanistan on July 1 and it was Nonis and Fletcher that met face to face with Richards. Burke is a great talker, and a helluva salesman. When he says that his plan is to build through trades and free agency, and the best salesman in the organization is not meeting with the best asset on the open market... Well he isn't doing his job.

As for a goalie. I hope that they have their eyes set on Harding.

A quality backup in Harding could go a long way...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
We know for a fact that Burke was in Afghanistan on July 1 and it was Nonis and Fletcher that met face to face with Richards. Burke is a great talker, and a helluva salesman. When he says that his plan is to build through trades and free agency, and the best salesman in the organization is not meeting with the best asset on the open market... Well he isn't doing his job.

As for a goalie. I hope that they have their eyes set on Harding.

A quality backup in Harding could go a long way...
I admit Burkie should have been the one speaking to Richards and he didn't do his job by being in Afghanistan but i give him mad props for sticking to his guns and going with his commitment. Bad move GM wise great move PR wise.

Harding would probably be a starter on this team. The guy has some great ability and if he came here i think he'd push Reimz out for the starting job.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I admit Burkie should have been the one speaking to Richards and he didn't do his job by being in Afghanistan but i give him mad props for sticking to his guns and going with his commitment. Bad move GM wise great move PR wise.

Harding would probably be a starter on this team. The guy has some great ability and if he came here i think he'd push Reimz out for the starting job.
So we have a GM that is making good PR moves, instead of doing his job. It may have cost this team. When it comes time to go after some of the very few players available who would help this team... (Suter, Harding, Parise) you better hope Burke feels like doing his job...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
So we have a GM that is making good PR moves, instead of doing his job. It may have cost this team. When it comes time to go after some of the very few players available who would help this team... (Suter, Harding, Parise) you better hope Burke feels like doing his job...
It may have costs this team. Who knows really ... Honestly i was one of the few that thought we weren't getting Richards either way so i didn't really think it bad of Burke not to be there. Ofc differing opinions here.

The thing with Parise is i think he will want to go to his hometown team (Minny) and Suter and him are good buddies. They could both wind up in Minny.

Harding is the one guy i can see coming our way and i would welcome him. I believe he can be an NHL starter.

One guy i think we can sign though is Justin Schultz. If he doesn't sign with the Ducks by FA he can go to any team. He was Gardiner's defensive partner in college and they used to talk about playing in the NHL together. He is supposedly better then Jake.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
The point is that I don't care if players are probably going elsewhere. Burke hitched his wagon to free agency, and then wasn't around when it mattered most. Even if there wasn't any great shot, I want the best shot there is.

He needs to do his job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kessel deal alone

Any team executive who gives up that much of a teams future needs to be fired for that alone.I was all for Burke until he came and thought he could turn the teams fortunes around in a jiffy. He was so arrogant he thought that just by his very presence he could will them into contender status so he goes ahead and tries to put "the finishing touches" on by getting the one dimensional Kessel BEFORE he started the necessary rebuild. That was the worst deal I can remember and it set this franchise back by years. He should have the can tied to his ass for that deal alone but when you factor in Lombardi, Connelly. Exelby, Komiserek and others this man is brutal. He should walk the plank at once.!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hockey alarm app

(Goal Horn)! He shoots, he scores! Download the Hockey Alarm to be woken up to your favorite hockey team's goal horn from the 2013-2014 season. All 30 teams are featured.

Download Link: bit.ly/1hvLisL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts