Hockey Forum - Hockey Fan Forums - NHL Boards - View Single Post - Tim Thomas vs. Tuukka Rask

View Single Post

Old 02-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
VICE™
Super Moderator

VICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_37 View Post
Vice you make a very good point on this. Trading Thomas would clear so much cap space for them to pick up another good winger or defenseman. But do you think the Bruins will honestly trade him or let him retire? He is at that age where retirement is an option.
Retirement's not an option to clear cap space in the case of Thomas. The contract came into effect after Thomas was 35 years old, so the cap hit stays with the Bruins whether Thomas retires or is buried in the minors - he becomes dead cap. The only way to get his cap hit off the Bruins' hands without trading him is to get him put on LTIR, but with the way he's playing, I don't think he's got an injury that fits the bill.

Since I'm sure some people are looking at my post and going 'wouldn't Thomas clear $5M in cap?', I might as well address why I said $3.75M. While it would technically clear $5M, the reason why I went with $3.75M being cleared is because Boston would have to bring in a backup, and I figured I might as well use Rask's cap hit as a value for a backup to keep it simple.

However, if Savard retires, this pretty much becomes a moot point and keeping Thomas and Rask while improving the team becomes a lot more possible. That alone opens up $4M that the team can use to improve themselves elsewhere. I'm sure everybody (Bruins fans, hockey fans, Don Cherry and Cooke-haters alike) would hate to see him finish his career like that though.

Quote:
You mentioned something about Recchi I am pretty sure he would retire before the Bruins gave him up. But I do agree if they were to make another trade it should be Thomas and let Rask have the upper hand at starting.
When I was referring to Recchi, I was assuming he was going to retire. But of course, I'm not him, so I can't rule out him returning for another year.

Quote:
But if they packaged Thomas with Michael Ryder and/or Steven kampfer then they Bruins could acquire a couple more good players.
Unless you're making this trade before the deadline, Ryder's not going to have much value, if any at all. But I don't see Thomas being traded until the off-season at the earliest. Not many people are going to give up anything for the rights to a 40 point, 31-year-old pending UFA. Swap Ryder out with someone else who has a contract and I think the Bruins could acquire a solid player in the off-season.

Not necessarily two or more good players, as goaltenders don't seem to have a lot of value, but a veteran top six winger isn't really out of the question. I think that would be a possible return for a package including a Vezina winner that appears to still be at the top of his game.
VICE™ is offline   Reply With Quote