Tim Thomas vs. Tuukka Rask - Hockey Forum - Hockey Fan Forums - NHL Boards
Reply

Old 02-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Looking to be drafted
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7
Bruins_37 is on a distinguished road
Default Tim Thomas vs. Tuukka Rask

The Bruins have something that isn't seen that often on a team. They have two goalies that could be the no. 1 starter. Thomas was shutout last year because he had an injury and a surgery he was putting off so that put Rask at the top and Rask played extremely well. But since the off season when Thomas had his surgery he came back and blew everyone out of the water on how good he is doing.

So lets debate it... Tim Thomas vs. Tuukka Rask, which is better and why?

They both have their pros and cons lets hear them
Bruins_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 02-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF-MOTM Winner - Dec 07
 
canadiancreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The birthplace of Confederation
Posts: 1,037
canadiancreed is on a distinguished road
Default

Reminds me of the situation the Habs had last year. And my self I'd say trade Thomas, with the lone reason being age.
__________________
The Sports Blog Network
canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Looking to be drafted
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7
Bruins_37 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
Reminds me of the situation the Habs had last year. And my self I'd say trade Thomas, with the lone reason being age.
Yeah, I remember that with the Habs. But I disagree with trading Thomas solely because of his age. Yes, he is much older but he still moves like he is young. Thomas has outstanding stats, of course stats doesn't mean anything unless he can produce which he has.
Bruins_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
VICE™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,392
Blog Entries: 17
VICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I can agree with trading Thomas over Rask, but not just because of his age. If you trade Thomas in the off-season and give Rask the starter's position, the Bruins save $3.75M on the cap, some cap space that they could use to improve the team in other areas.

The Bruins just got Kaberle, and finally have a legitimate top four of Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk and Kaberle. No more Ference or Kampfer masquerading as top four defensemen. The $3.75M cap savings from trading Thomas and keeping Rask could definitely go a long way in re-signing Kaberle.

Not to mention, packaging Thomas with a player like Paille and maybe some other assets could bring back a pretty decent top six winger as well. Fills a hole the Bruins will probably have next year since Recchi could very well be gone, likewise Ryder, unless he's willing to take a drastic paycut.

Deal from your strength to shore up your weaknesses.

Granted, the age argument does have to come into consideration at some point. Rask is much, much younger and is one of the top young goaltenders in the league. He can shoulder the load in years to come.
VICE™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
esuhock22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,225
esuhock22 has a spectacular aura aboutesuhock22 has a spectacular aura about
Default

I picked Rask to win the Vezina and right now it looks like it's going to be his teammate.
__________________


http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...lly-reputation

Most Recent Blog- Looking at the Flyers trades
esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Looking to be drafted
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7
Bruins_37 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICE™ View Post
I can agree with trading Thomas over Rask, but not just because of his age. If you trade Thomas in the off-season and give Rask the starter's position, the Bruins save $3.75M on the cap, some cap space that they could use to improve the team in other areas.

The Bruins just got Kaberle, and finally have a legitimate top four of Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk and Kaberle. No more Ference or Kampfer masquerading as top four defensemen. The $3.75M cap savings from trading Thomas and keeping Rask could definitely go a long way in re-signing Kaberle.

Not to mention, packaging Thomas with a player like Paille and maybe some other assets could bring back a pretty decent top six winger as well. Fills a hole the Bruins will probably have next year since Recchi could very well be gone, likewise Ryder, unless he's willing to take a drastic paycut.

Deal from your strength to shore up your weaknesses.

Granted, the age argument does have to come into consideration at some point. Rask is much, much younger and is one of the top young goaltenders in the league. He can shoulder the load in years to come.
Vice you make a very good point on this. Trading Thomas would clear so much cap space for them to pick up another good winger or defenseman. But do you think the Bruins will honestly trade him or let him retire? He is at that age where retirement is an option. The Bruins are in a position to give up one goalie to gain a few more players to boost their team a bit. You mentioned something about Recchi I am pretty sure he would retire before the Bruins gave him up. But I do agree if they were to make another trade it should be Thomas and let Rask have the upper hand at starting.

But if they packaged Thomas with Michael Ryder and/or Steven kampfer then they Bruins could acquire a couple more good players.

p.s. I happen to like both goalies and would really hate to see either one go, but I just wanted to see what others thought.
Bruins_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
VICE™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,392
Blog Entries: 17
VICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond reputeVICE™ has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_37 View Post
Vice you make a very good point on this. Trading Thomas would clear so much cap space for them to pick up another good winger or defenseman. But do you think the Bruins will honestly trade him or let him retire? He is at that age where retirement is an option.
Retirement's not an option to clear cap space in the case of Thomas. The contract came into effect after Thomas was 35 years old, so the cap hit stays with the Bruins whether Thomas retires or is buried in the minors - he becomes dead cap. The only way to get his cap hit off the Bruins' hands without trading him is to get him put on LTIR, but with the way he's playing, I don't think he's got an injury that fits the bill.

Since I'm sure some people are looking at my post and going 'wouldn't Thomas clear $5M in cap?', I might as well address why I said $3.75M. While it would technically clear $5M, the reason why I went with $3.75M being cleared is because Boston would have to bring in a backup, and I figured I might as well use Rask's cap hit as a value for a backup to keep it simple.

However, if Savard retires, this pretty much becomes a moot point and keeping Thomas and Rask while improving the team becomes a lot more possible. That alone opens up $4M that the team can use to improve themselves elsewhere. I'm sure everybody (Bruins fans, hockey fans, Don Cherry and Cooke-haters alike) would hate to see him finish his career like that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_37 View Post
You mentioned something about Recchi I am pretty sure he would retire before the Bruins gave him up. But I do agree if they were to make another trade it should be Thomas and let Rask have the upper hand at starting.
When I was referring to Recchi, I was assuming he was going to retire. But of course, I'm not him, so I can't rule out him returning for another year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_37 View Post
But if they packaged Thomas with Michael Ryder and/or Steven kampfer then they Bruins could acquire a couple more good players.
Unless you're making this trade before the deadline, Ryder's not going to have much value, if any at all. But I don't see Thomas being traded until the off-season at the earliest. Not many people are going to give up anything for the rights to a 40 point, 31-year-old pending UFA. Swap Ryder out with someone else who has a contract and I think the Bruins could acquire a solid player in the off-season.

Not necessarily two or more good players, as goaltenders don't seem to have a lot of value, but a veteran top six winger isn't really out of the question. I think that would be a possible return for a package including a Vezina winner that appears to still be at the top of his game.
VICE™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Looking to be drafted
 
richardsimmons27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2
richardsimmons27 is on a distinguished road
Default Thomas

I agree that Rask is younger, but at the same time as we found out he is not completely play-off ready. He is a fantastic goalie, but still not as good as freshly recovered Tim Thomas. Thomas looks better than any goalie in years, he plays as if he was in a 20 year old's body. He has the experience that we need to make it deep into the play-offs. He is the better goalie of the two, and besides we have an nhl ready goalie in the minors right now. It's not fair for him to ave to play down there while Rask remains underplayed at the NHL level.

In short my opinion is that we move Rask in the off-season and try to get a young puck moving player in the trade. Thomas is amazing, you can't give that up. Look for Khudobin to see some NHL time soon.
richardsimmons27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Looking to be drafted
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2
Dillan is on a distinguished road
Default

Rask is young but Thomas can still stop the puck and thats all the Bruins need. Its good to have a backup that is young and as good as Rask but i would choose Thomas over Rask anyday.
Dillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Looking to be drafted
 
dionne3019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
dionne3019 is on a distinguished road
Default

I love them both so much tim has much more experince (but know he left :() but I like tuukkas playing style better
__________________
Bruins for life
dionne3019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2