Hockey Fan Forums banner

Trade Rick Nash?

5K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  the flying moose 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Wondering what people think about the pros/cons of the Blue Jackets trading Rick Nash? They have to do something to shake up that franchise they look horrible but is trading Rick Nash the right mo

#2 ·
Even if they wanted to they wouldn't Nash loves Columbus and his NTC leaves it up to him. It would be like Phoenix trying to trade Doan, just is not possible.

#5 ·
Instead of trading Nash they should try building a good team around him. Adding Carter was a nice move. Unfortunately he hasn't been healthy. Their defense is average, even with Wisniewski and his ridiculous contract. And then you've got the second coming of Jim Carey in goal. They're just not a very good team.

#6 ·
They seem a significantly better team with Wisniewski in the line up and if all goes well and Nash and him are healthy when Carter returns, the Jackets have an okay roster, not necessarily playoff worthy, but I don't see them being blown out as much.

#7 ·
Speaking of trading Nash.

To BUF:

Rick Nash
Other future considerations*

To CBJ:

Andrej Sekera
2012 1st rounder
2012 2nd rounder
Brad Boyes

#8 ·
Depends on how a Rick Nash trade is handled by their management. With proper management, moving Nash could shore up a lot of weaknesses that the Blue Jackets have. The problem is that proper management apparently doesn't exist in the Blue Jackets' universe.

Fact of the matter is that moving Nash will not make them a better team this year - and the Letestu trade shows that they're at least making an effort to portray themselves as wanting to be a better team this year. With that said, and the management in place right now, I wouldn't be surprised if they moved him, it would be for a bunch of spare parts and try to make it out like the move will turn the team around this season.

#14 ·
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/content/stories/2012/1/05/nash-season-is-toughest-of-career.html

Nash was also presented with a hypothetical. Recognizing that he has a no-movement clause in his contract through the 2014-15 season, Nash was asked if he’d be willing to waive the clause if the Blue Jackets opted to make him part of the rebuild.

“That’s a tough question to answer in a situation like this,” Nash said. “I love Columbus. I love being here. I love being a Blue Jacket.

“The city of Columbus deserves a winner and deserves a good product on the ice. If it comes to that — like you said, all speculation — but if they don’t want me here, they want to move me? I’m not going to do something where it’s going to hurt the franchise just because I have that in my contract.”
Let's just bump this thread now that we know Nash says he would be willing to waive his NTC if the Blue Jackets asked him to - or at least he would consider it. What does it take that would make the Blue Jackets opt to trade Nash? Two or three top prospects like Blues4Life said?

Not many teams in the league have multiple top-flight prospects, so I'm thinking a Pronger-like package would be the most likely. A package of a young NHL player, quality prospect and some assortment of picks.

#15 ·
I really wouldn't like Nash's contract on my team. Yes he's been on a bad CBJ team but i just feel he wouldn't justify his contract. It's long and that's a lot of money to have locked in for that long. Feel it could handcuff a team.

#16 ·
Id take him on the yotes but we would end up giving everything we have away just to get him. Almost too bad we didn't hold onto Turris, could have traded him, Gormley, a 1st (2012), 2nd (2012), and another prospect. Might not be enough but thats what I would have offered.

#17 ·
They don't need to trade Nash, they just need to get a top-line playmaker. What they should have done last season was not traded for Carter, they should have signed Brad Richards, or traded for Mike Richards instead of Carter. Having a line with 3 shoot first guys doesn't work. But, since they have Carter, they should try and make a deal for Ales Hemsky. He's a guy who's under-performing for the oilers, but is a great playmaking winger.

#18 ·
Easier said than done. That's what the Flames have been trying to do for Iginla for years.

There aren't many top-line playmakers available and most top-end free agents steer clear from Columbus, barring being paid $1.5M over their actual value. Carter, on the other hand, was available. I can't blame them for taking the chance on him from a management perspective - it's one of the few moves made by Columbus management that I believe was a good decision.

The problem with Carter/Nash is a coaching and injury problem, not an acquisition problem. Carter's shoulder and foot have kept him out of a significant part of the year, and Arniel decided to play the two of them together despite a lack of chemistry between the two of them and depth behind them. They've been split since Richards took over as coach, and their offense looks a lot more balanced.

Blue Jackets trading for Hemsky is just pure fantasy right now. It doesn't make any sense. They're going to be moving whoever they can to other teams, not bringing more quality players in.

#19 ·
A good article from TSN. Apparently Rick Nash could be available if the right team is interested.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387786

None of this would or could be happening if Rick Nash didn't want it to happen.

As one source asked rhetorically, "How does a player with a No Movement Clause end up in trade talk?"

Easy answer to that one: because he's permitted it.
I wonder what has changed? Tired of losing? Conflict with coach or GM?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.