Hockey Forum - Hockey Fan Forums - NHL Boards - View Single Post - BC STV a bad idea

View Single Post

Old 05-16-2005, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
RunTheGoalie
Hockey Forum Sniper

RunTheGoalie has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Just gotta know where to look...

http://www.nodice.ca/elections/briti...mbia/polls.php

Two most resent polls were released Friday:
Ipsos-Reid putting the Libs at 47%, NDP at 39 and the Greens at 11%.
Strategic Council has Libs at 49%, NDP at 36% and Greens at 13%.

As for the STV idea, I also strongly dislike that format. Provincially it isnt a huge problem for me, but federally, there is not a party beyond the CPC that deserves my vote. Any system that forces a person to potentially vote for a party he doesnt support is deeply flawed.

However, credit the BC government at being progressive and looking to reform the system. Something I wish both the Alberta and Federal governments would do.

Personally, I prefer a hybrid system. Elect somewhere between 50-66% of the HoC/Legislature on the current system, so as to minimize the chances of continued minority governments, and elect the other 33-50% based on proportional representation. Such a system would work to force the governments to be far more mindful of all regions of the province/nation rather than just that party's powerbase.

Of course, there would necessaraly be a requirement that a party gets a significant percentage of the popular vote to take one of those PR decided seats.
RunTheGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote